Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

NDLS - National Driver Licence Service centres (Qs, waiting times, etc)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Blazer wrote: »
    Just for clarification to renew an license you need an MyGov Id.
    A basic account is sufficient to for this.
    I had tried to renew my missus’s license which had expired and for some reason her GovId didn’t keep her account.
    She already has a PSC card but the NDLS guy we spoke to confirmed that she just needed to create a basic MyGov account and that was good enough to renew her license.

To renew online you need those. If you go in to the office you don't. I don't understand why they are still allowed to insist on them for online when they have caused so much issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,115 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

If you apply online and have the MyGovID what photo do they use for the new licence?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭endacl

If you apply online and have the MyGovID what photo do they use for the new licence?

The one on the Public Services Card.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,115 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

endacl wrote: »
    The one on the Public Services Card.

Cool, will have to check if mine is still valid, think it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

obi604 wrote: »
    My license expired on 13th April. 4 months grace is 13th August.

However earliest appointment I could get with NDLS is 26th August. Will I be be ok/somewhat covered during the period 13th-26th August?

On the NDSL site it shows a further 4 months extension so looks like we're grand.
    "For permits expiring between 1 July and 31 October, 2020 (including those already extended), the validity period of those permits will be automatically extended for a further four month period."
    Similarly mine expired in Mar, the first extension put that to Jul and now to Nov.
    What do people use all there different ID cards for, what services do you get with the Public Services Card for instance. I don't have any so have to make a physical trip to NDSL centre which are all quite inconvenient and earliest slot I got that suited was Sep.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

morebarn wrote: »
    My husband’s Licence expires early August and the closest appointment we could get to renew it was 26th August.

I mistakenly thought all Licences were extended by Four months; as my own had been.

I checked it on the phone with NDLS and they told me there would be no extension for him.
    We have to wait until end of August.
    I queried if having proof of appointment made would cover him if he was stopped with out of date Licence. They said NO. But that it would be up to the Garda or whoever looked for Licence to use their judgement. So, no luck for us I’m afraid!

They also stressed that if we had any accidents, claims etc in that time then our Insurance Company would consider us to be breaking the contract terms. That is, driving without an up to date Licence.

Totally our own fault I know!

That’s actually rubbish. The insurance companies only require to have held a licence for that class of vehicle within the last 5 years. You are still legally covered by insurance. Who ever in NDLS told you that just made it up to make themselves appear intelligent but most of them are little more than trained apes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,459 ✭✭✭obi604

On the NDSL site it shows a further 4 months extension so looks like we're grand.
    "For permits expiring between 1 July and 31 October, 2020 (including those already extended), the validity period of those permits will be automatically extended for a further four month period."
    Similarly mine expired in Mar, the first extension put that to Jul and now to Nov.
    What do people use all there different ID cards for, what services do you get with the Public Services Card for instance. I don't have any so have to make a physical trip to NDSL centre which are all quite inconvenient and earliest slot I got that suited was Sep.

I dont get you. I only see an automatic extension of 4 months for me (April 13th so August 13th).

Are you saying it’s an 8 month extension?

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Orderofchaos

Are you sure that doesn't refer to Learner permits only. Can you provide a link please. The notice on NDSL is not very clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Cerco

Are you sure that doesn't refer to Learner permits only. Can you provide a link please. The notice on NDSL is not very clear.

There is only one extension for driving licences. A four month extension from the expiry date of licences expiring between 1 March and 30 June.
    Saying that there is no real sanction for a short delay in renewing.As said previously you remain insured once you have held a licence and not banned from driving or renewing your licence.

IMPORTANT NOTICE
    Extension of Driving Licences and Learner Permits

All Driving Licences that were due to expire on a date between 1 March and 30 June 2020 have been automatically extended by four months.

All Learner Permits that were due to expire between 1 March and 30 June 2020 have been automatically extended by four months. For permits expiring between 1 July and 31 October, 2020 (including those already extended), the validity period of those permits will be automatically extended for a further four month period.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Ah sorry is it learner permits only:
    https://www.ndls.ie/booking-service.html
    What's the logic there, why have more favorable extensions for learners but not qualified drivers.
    I would have renewed mine in Mar if there weren't so many obstacles to the online process, as it is I'll wait until early Sep which was the earliest slop I could get that suited.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭spoonerhead

I set up the mygov.ie account there and went to apply online. My provisional was due to expire 28/06 so I got a 4 month extension and it’s my first renew so it states I can apply online (Judging this thread I hope I’m right!). I just want to get it done now rather than wait, however when I went to apply online it gave me and error saying I’m not 3 months from expiry. I’m guessing the system wasn’t updated and doesn’t know, but this is extremely silly if I’ve now to present myself at a centre given the guidelines we have around Covid. I logged a query with them so hopefully they get back to me, just seems so bizarre!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Your licence is extended by another 4 months automatically so you won't have to renew until February I think.

That's why it won't let you renew online.

Ah sorry is it learner permits only:
    https://www.ndls.ie/booking-service.html
    What's the logic there, why have more favorable extensions for learners but not qualified drivers.
    I would have renewed mine in Mar if there weren't so many obstacles to the online process, as it is I'll wait until early Sep which was the earliest slop I could get that suited.

The reason is some can't be renewed unless applied for a test and with tests and everything else cancelled holders of permit could risk losing it completely.

Driving License holders have no additional conditions to renew so there was no reason to extend it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

What a load of balls, why the need for all these different state IDs and cards? My license is expired and like the OP don't have all these secondary requirements to renew online so will have to take time off and visit the NDLS centre.

I renewed my passport last year online and it was the simplest and quickest process imaginable, was really surprised how efficient the whole thing was and had my new passport by post 3 days later. Why can't they do similar for a drivers license.

The old paper licenses that were processed in tax offices were subject to widespread fraud so the system had to be overhauled which is fair enough but as many horror stories attest, the whole NDLS system has become embroiled in ridiculous amounts of red tape. Trying to negotiate their website to find what documents you need to just renew a bloody driving license or change a detail like an address is a massive headache.

In the times we live in, I don't know how they can justify people having to travel for a face to face appointment of any sorts. As you illustrated above, it's amazing how simple and efficient it is to renew a passport online yet you have to have multiple proofs and sit down face to face with a minimum wage worker for up to 20 minutes to renew a driving license.

My license expired on 13th April. 4 months grace is 13th August.

However earliest appointment I could get with NDLS is 26th August. Will I be be ok/somewhat covered during the period 13th-26th August?

high level, should I be ok here?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

high level, should I be ok here?

I don't think anyone can really advise as to what a Garda at a checkpoint would do or how your insurance company would view it.

What you could do is show up to an NDLS centre, I think they have a high rate of no show appointments, so next available slot, you can just go up instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

thelad95 wrote: »
    I don't think anyone can really advise as to what a Garda at a checkpoint would do or how your insurance company would view it.

What you could do is show up to an NDLS centre, I think they have a high rate of no show appointments, so next available slot, you can just go up instead.

It’s appointment only at the moment. No one is allowed in unless you have a time slot. Plus you can only come 5 minutes before your due.

splinter65 wrote: »
    It’s appointment only at the moment. No one is allowed in unless you have a time slot. Plus you can only come 5 minutes before your due.

Yeah. This. 26th August is the earliest one I cloud get, had to find a free slot and then make an appointment etc

I can’t do it online as don’t have a public services card........and in order to get this card I need to go an intreo office......I mailed them and they not taking in person appointments yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Cerco

I don't think anyone can really advise how your insurance company would view it.

Just read your policy documents.

Better to look on_line for available slots.

I wouldn't worry about insurance or even Gardai, that's two weeks out of date and they know the situation.

However if you need car rental or an ID for loan application etc this will very likely be refused as ID.

My gocar account is suspended now until I upload new document, my loan has been in situ (approved in principle) for days as I cannot provide them with up to date driving license.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

It has no effect on your insurance at all - and the courts agree.

Irish Examiner: Insured driver cannot be convicted for uninsured driving because of not having a driver's licence, judge rules.
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/courtandcrime/arid-40024226.html

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

galwaytt wrote: »
    It has no effect on your insurance at all - and the courts agree.

Irish Examiner: Insured driver cannot be convicted for uninsured driving because of not having a driver's licence, judge rules.
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/courtandcrime/arid-40024226.html

That's a completely different case and the insurer said they could seek the insured to repay the claim.

If you hold a driving license and it is expired is a completely different case than learner breaking the policy conditions and the rules of the learner permit.

kravmaga wrote: »
    Hi there,
    OP, My 10 year paper licence is not due for renewal until October 2020, I still managed to get an online appointment in NDLS in Santry for next week.

Did you fill out the D401 and get your GP to complete the Driving Licence Medical report form, the G.P. has to stamp the form also

Hi kravmaga,

Just wondering how long does it take to receive the license after the appointment.

Did you have a chance to ask?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭spiggotpaddy

wonski wrote: »
    Hi kravmaga,

Just wondering how long does it take to receive the license after the appointment.

Did you have a chance to ask?

Thanks.

Renewed mine in person last month. Took a week to arrive.

It’s been extended for another 3 months.

“ Deputy Mattie McGrath raised the issue with the Transport Minister asking that a previous extension be continued due to the backlog being experienced by the National Driver Licence Service.

Driving Licences which were due to expire between 1st March and 30 June had previously been extended for a four-month period. These will now be extended for a further 3 months.”
    http://tippfm.com/news/road-safety/extension-granted-needing-renew-driving-licence/

Had my appointment finally today I must say it was the quickest application for a document I ever had. In and out in less than 10 minutes, closer to 5 I think :)

Looks like they spaced the appointments very well, haven't seen many people around the ndls centre.

Hope the rest of you get sorted soon, too.

They state 6-10 working days for it to arrive.

My license expired in April
    Have in person appointment with NDLS on 26th August
    Will renewal date be backdated to April or just done as 26th Aug?

I think all driving licences are issued for 10 years/3 years etc, they don't backdate them.

wonski wrote: »
    I think all driving licences are issued for 10 years/3 years etc, they don't backdate them.

ok - but my new license: will that have a start date of April 2020 or August 2020

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

ok - but my new license: will that have a start date of April 2020 or August 2020

If youre licence expires i would have thought you have to do your test again!?

Advertisement