Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Studying in queen's university Belfast

• 22-09-2020 8:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

I am from County Limerick and am thinking of studying in queen's university Belfast next year. I am wondering is it a good idea for an Irish person to study in Northern Ireland? As in would people be prejudice or dislike southern Irish? Or is it better to go to mainland UK instead?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭pipelaser

I am from County Limerick and am thinking of studying in queen's university Belfast next year. I am wondering is it a good idea for an Irish person to study in Northern Ireland? As in would people be prejudice or dislike southern Irish? Or is it better to go to mainland UK instead?

I'm from Meath and went to study in Queens back in 2002. Had all the same worries until I walked in on the first day and realised that people are just people, like anywhere else, and had the best craic of my life over the next few years! Theres a tremendous social scene. Play hard and work hard.
    I never once experienced any awkwardness over identity or religion.
    There tends to be quite a few of born again christians(imagine Andrew Trimble types)most are the nicest people you could meet, they just wont go to the pub and will maybe maintain a slight distance.
    All I will say is that you should aim to live in Stranmillis, or the Holylands. You'll stay well out of trouble there.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

My brother went to Queens back in 1994, never moved home and now works for the place. Loves it up there, as previous poster said, great social life, excellent place to study and loves Belfast.

No prejudice at all, in fact there are hundreds of non Irish going to Queens at the moment from Asia, Africa, North and South America, so believe me, you won't be an odd one out there :D

I would recommend staying in the halls of residence the first year until you find your feet, the Stranmillis or holylands after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Avonoidea

A good crowd of students from Donegal go on to study at Queen's. It's grown in popularity - a large group from my daughter's year went to QUB this year - medicine, law, computer science, sound engineering, music and bio-med. And my nephew studied languages and loved it there.

Advertisement