Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Now ye're talking - to a US police officer

• 22-07-2019 3:17pm
    Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Boards.ie Community Manager

Good afternoon everyone, we have a new AMA for you today and this one is with a US police officer. He's written a fairly comprehensive introduction which should cover some of the more basic questions that might have been asked so please do read it before posting. Thanks!
    I’m a patrol officer for the last 23 years, edging ever close to retirement (four more years). I’ll answer questions broadly, can’t give you legal advice, and will only comment on cases/issues/stories in the public domain. Laws & procedures vary in the different agencies and jurisdictions in the US, but as a rule most of it follows the same basic principles.

Yes, I am armed, all police in the US are armed. My basic duty wear is, 9mm Glock 19, two pistol magazines, Taser, Asp, two pair handcuffs, radio, OC spray, small torch, latex gloves. We wear body armour under our uniform shirts. Uniform is a traditional tan uniform shirt with metal badge, black trousers, jacket as required in winter. Hat is a baseball cap.

Our agency is in the process of transitioning to a body camera system, probably implemented later this year/early next year. Our cars all have cameras (front facing) and also record the prisoner cages to include audio.

Our standard patrol vehicle is either the Chevrolet Tahoe, which we are phasing out for the Ford Explorer. They are police package vehicles, heavy duty suspension, beefed up alternator & brakes, prewired for radio/lights/siren, etc. Back seat is a divided prisoner cage with vinyl seats and a barrier between the officer & the prisoners. They vinyl is designed to be easily cleaned and the back floor has a drain hole.

Carried in the car is generally: M-4 patrol rifle (5.56mm), bean bag shotgun, AED, first aid kit, traffic cones, tyre spikes, evidence kits, digital camera, crime scene kits (tape, shoe covers, etc.), small tool kit, breaching tools (crow bar, small sledge hammer), fingerprint kit, water rescue throw rope, various forms, & personal items (rain gear, traffic vests, snacks, water, clipboards, paper, etc.). This all fits in the back in a series of custom drawers & cabinets.

The car comes with a Mobile Data Computer (MDC) (Panasonic Tough Book), electronic ticket writer, fixed multi-band radio, usual lights & sirens, torch charger, map book. The MDC has an integrated Sat Nav function and is linked to our Computer Aided Dispatch. We get all our call information on the MDC, use it to run number plates, driving licenses, ID’s, criminal history and so on. Also has all our report writing software, and links to the e-ticket writer which prints out the ticket issued for offenses. Of course, we still carry a manual ticket book too. Some of our cars have the ANPR system which is linked to the MDC.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭spindex

Good afternoon everyone, we have a new AMA for you today and this one is with a US police officer. He's written a fairly comprehensive introduction which should cover some of the more basic questions that might have been asked so please do read it before posting. Thanks!

Hi,
    How many people have you shot ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Hi, thanks for taking time out to do this. Probably a question a lot of people have - have you ever shot anyone and if so, did you kill them? Is counselling provided to people who shot anyone on duty?

Hello,

Pretty basic question here but what made you decide to be a police officer?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,770 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Without going into too much personal detail is the pay and conditions plus pension good, considering what you lads have to put up with? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

How would you compare your duties and risks associated to somewhere like here ,
    Where beat officers only carry a telescopic baton

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,163 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Do you think the overlapping forces of City/State/Feds leads to better or worse policing in your jurisdiction?

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭red petal

Is it a career path you would like to see your younger family members go down or would you advise against it?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 green_rim

Do you get given a quota of blacks kids to kill or is just one of those things you do to pass the time when bored?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

green_rim wrote: »
    Do you get given a quota of blacks kids to kill or is just one of those things you do to pass the time when bored?

Oooooh... so edgy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Do you wear a body camera?

If not, what are your thoughts on having to wear on if it was made mandatory?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Krombopulos Michael

Is there a TV show (apart from reality shows) that accurately represents what it's like to be a cop, such as The Wire, or is much of the stuff on TV just hollywood BS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Considering the current tech (ANPR) car recognition, and incoming tech (wearable cams), what's your view on the likely approach of 'people recognition'.
    I.e. (FRS) 'facial recognition systems'. Is it just a small sacrifice of freedom, in the interest of crime {prevention}?

/Or will it lead to a surveillance state (like some regions of China). The UK Met are having trials (300 faces, per second can be read and ID'd instantly via 5G comms).
    One news clip showed a chap complain about it (on his way into a shopping centre), and got handed a 80note fine for obstruction or public order for his troubles.

Bear in mind, at least x3 US cities have already banned it.

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

green_rim wrote: »
    Mod: Posts like this are not welcome, please be respectful of the person taking time out of their day to answer your questions. If you can't manage that, just don't post.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

What's your favourite donut shop and which flavour do you usually go for?

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭14dMoney

I'd imagine being on the beat that long, you will come across all sorts of things. Whats something that will always stick with you, negatively or positively?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Where do you serve?my brother is in LAPD for the last 12 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭magic_murph

Should we legalise weed?
    How much of your time is spent dealing with weed and how pointless is it to try and police the issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,229 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

1. Are the police forces in US inherently racist? From an outsider it looks that way, but I might be wrong.
    2. What do you make of the ever increasing militarisation of the police in US?
    3. Are you Irish? Do you have experience with the Gardaí? Could you work in an unarmed police force?
    4. Why are there so many different police forces in US? Seems to be an awful lot of overlap - is this hard to work in?
    5. How dangerous is it to be a cop in USA? Has it gotten worse?
    6. Has Trump's election changed anything for you as a cop?
    7. Best on-screen cop?
    8. At this point, are you too old for this sh1t?

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Rdwrer

Hey,

What technology has made the biggest difference in your work since you started, both positively and negatively if possible?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,657 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Given the significant number of killings of black people by police officers in USA, as well as police brutality, false evidence being planted and a lot of corruption amongst members, what safeguards are in place to weed out the psychopaths wearing the cop badges- there is no doubt that many US cops enjoy killing others and indeed join just for that privilege. These people are very good at hiding their true selves so what psychological tests (if any) did you have to go through to be a cop and what is the process now? Do you think its a fair and thorough process?

• Advertisement

As this is Boards.ie, would I be right in taking a guess that you're originally from Ireland or have lived here? If so, how do you compare your current role to that of a Garda (and if you did indeed grow up here, what made you opt for the US Police rather than An Garda Siochana)?

Do you find, in the US, as a police officer involved in everyday crime, that they (the US, whatever state you may be in) have the same kind of lenient, revolving door sentences that lead to you spending all your time dealing with the same faces over and over again? Or is the stereotypical image that the US is much tougher and stamps that stuff out quickly actually true?

And a silly question, but have you ever seen or experienced one of your patrol cars being stolen/pursued? If so, does it make it a bit more complicated (is there an element of trying to avoid damaging the vehicle etc.)?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 35,572 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

How come a police officer can't admit they're wrong, is it a training issue where you have to be right no matter what.
    You see so many incidents on youtube where a cop is so so wrong, but will NEVER let it go. Why is that.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

What's the biggest challenges you come across and what's the biggest change you've seen over your time.

Are you constantly watching your 6 and why are so many alone with such dangers out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,542 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

With all your experience, are there any laws you really feel don't really serve a purpose and could do with being changed or abolished?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭careless sherpa

Are you worried that you will get into some bizarre and dangerous situation as you get to within a few days of your retirement?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,268 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Going back to your OP, what are an Asp and an AED?

What's your favourite cop movie car chase?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Do you have a bedside locker?

Whats in your bedside locker?

Has policing become safer or more dangerous since you've Become a a Police officer

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Vinculus

The word is on the corner is that you got Joey Four eyes whacked!
    Am I hearing this correctly?
    Just wanna be shure, you know what saying

• Company Representative Posts: 189 Verified rep I'm a US police officer, AMA

I'll try and consolidate answers as best I can:

How would you compare your duties and risks associated to somewhere like here
    Where beat officers only carry a telescopic baton/

Policing is policing, the context is just different for an unarmed police force. With little to no risk of an armed encounter, the baton seems appropriate enough. Having said that, I can't imagine an armed encounter with only a baton. Without a deadly force option, it does require a different skill set (de-escalation, etc.)

Do you think the overlapping forces of City/State/Feds leads to better or worse policing in your jurisdiction?

In my opinion the multiple jurisdictions is inefficient and wasteful, especially at the local level. In my county, pop 1.3 million, we have 26 local agencies, all essentially doing the same job for their relevant patch. One small town has a whole seven officers. These small agencies don't have any real capacity, limited career progression and usually don't pay well. The larger agencies end up providing support (crime scene, SWAT, etc.) because they are essentially a security force. According to the US Dept. of Justice, 60% of the police agencies in the US have 40 officers or less. This is a problem when it comes to training standards, education and officer quality.

Is it a career path you would like to see your younger family members go down or would you advise against it?

Should we legalise weed? How much of your time is spent dealing with weed and how pointless is it to try and police the issue?

The decision to legalise weed is for society & the policy makers to decide. I'm personally fine with legalizing it although I've never tried it and don't intend to. Legalizing weed will remove a whole layer of profit from drug cartels and reduce the burden on the court system. In my agency, we've always had a pretty tolerant informal attitude to it. I rarely make an arrest for very small amounts of MJ as I have better things to do with my time. Beyond a single joint, it's jail time. While we have a lot of officer discretion, we are duty bound to comply with the law. Is it pointless? Is traffic policing pointless, I don't think so. We'll do our best to enforce the laws as best we can, so until it's made legal, we'll follow the law.

It's a great career, would deffo support a family member doing it. yes, there are issue in law enforcement, but it's an incredible way to serve your community. It won't always be easy and it can be very challenging, but it is rewarding like nothing else.

Do you wear a body camera? If not, what are your thoughts on having to wear on if it was made mandatory?

As stated in the introduction, we are in progress of fielding them. I'm a big fan of them. I have nothing to hide and don't fear them. I see it as an extension of the car cameras (which we've had, by state law) for nearly 20 years. The body cams are still a work in progress as regards when are they recording, how long is data stored, who will have access, etc? If I'm getting a coffee and Joe Bloggs walks up to ask directions, do I need to record that encounter? If I'm taking a burglary report in a residence and the owner is in his/her underwear and have other embarrassing personal items on display does that need to be recorded? bear in mind, most of what we'll record is going to be available under the open records acts here. These are issues for the leaders and lawyers to sort out.

Is there a TV show (apart from reality shows) that accurately represents what it's like to be a cop, such as The Wire, or is much of the stuff on TV just Hollywood BS.

Other than The Wire (my favourite) it's all just fantasy. A 3AM barking dog call or minor traffic accident does not make for exciting TV or movies. Going back, Hill Street Blues was good and for some UK flavour, Scott and Bailey was very authentic.

Considering the current tech (ANPR) car recognition, and incoming tech (wearable cams), what's your view on the likely approach of 'people recognition'.
    I.E. (FRS) 'facial recognition systems'. Is it just a small sacrifice of freedom, in the interest of crime {prevention}? Or will it lead to a surveillance state (like some regions of China). The UK Met are having trials (300 faces, per second can be read and ID'd instantly via 5G comms).
    One news clip showed a chap complain about it (on his way into a shopping centre), and got handed a 80 note fine for obstruction or public order for his troubles. Bear in mind, at least x3 US cities have already banned it.

For body cams, see above.
    FRS: The intersection of emerging technology like FRS and law enforcement will be a political/social/legal decision for society at large. As it stands right now platforms like Google, Apple & Facebook know more about us than ever anticipated and we continue to willingly sign up for these platforms. Google maps can determine your location down to a metre right now. Of course, these are voluntary, one doesn't have to have a mobile although life would be very inconvenient. I'm an advocate of constitutional protections, but I suspect we will see these platforms evolving and being used more and more, especially once the technology becomes more accurate and refined.

What's your favourite donut shop and which flavour do you usually go for?
    Doughnuts are disgusting, I don't eat them, never have and neither do most cops I know.

I'd imagine being on the beat that long, you will come across all sorts of things. Whats something that will always stick with you, negatively or positively?

Negative: The constant whining from "good citizens" who complain about a traffic ticket or the same ungrateful good citizens who complain because we didn't show up in 5 minutes for the noisy neighbour call on a busy Friday night. Get over yourselves and put it in perspective. Best way to avoid a traffic ticket? Slow down, wear a seat belt and follow the law.

Positive: Working with committed professionals who do more than people know to help the community. I've seen officers buy food for homeless, stay late to give a stranded person a lift and just work their arses off to do the job. The unsolicited "thanks" from the public helps too.

Where do you serve? My brother is in LAPD for the last 12 years.

I'm in Texas, won't say more beyond that on a public forum. Well done him on LAPD.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Hazys wrote: »
    Do you wear a body camera?

If not, what are your thoughts on having to wear on if it was made mandatory?

You probably missed that bit ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement