Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wimbledon 2019

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Dirkziggler

Rob2D wrote: »
    Krygios out in the pub last night!

Wheres that

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rob2D

Wheres that

The Dog and Fox apparently.

Rob2D wrote: »
    The Dog and Fox apparently.

No I mean where did you see it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Its a non-story tbh

He finished up at 11 and sober apparently

Grand way to kill a few hours in the evening and unwind tbh

jr86 wrote: »
    Its a non-story tbh

He finished up at 11 and sober apparently

Grand way to kill a few hours in the evening and unwind tbh

When your playing next day it's not great. But yeah probably media bull

• Advertisement

Preparation wise - completely depends on the person. We all react to alcohol differently, have different sleeping patterns etc

From an optics point of view not great if he was a top player with large sponsorship deals maybe and a devoted fanbase, but he could not give two fks

jr86 wrote: »
    Preparation wise - completely depends on the person. We all react to alcohol differently, have different sleeping patterns etc

From an optics point of view not great if he was a top player with large sponsorship deals maybe and a devoted fanbase, but he could not give two fks
    I understand but when Nadal is playing you into big Rally's on a grass surface waiting for you to ue he's in for a quick session

• Registered Users Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Few on here seem to be dismissing Kyrgios today. I couldn't disagree more. I know he was poor vs. Thompson in Rd.1, and his general play has been underwhelming coming into Wimbledon but, imo, he is not like any other player in that his form doesn't matter a jot. Most players need to play themselves into form, build up momentum, confidence, etc. Kyrgios is mercurial, his game is based on how he's feeling in the moment, and he can turn it on like the flick of a switch when he wants to. And apart from Djokovic, he wants to beat no player more than Nadal.

If this match was a later round in Wimbledon, I would probably side with Nadal, but with him still finding his feet on grass (and the fact that there is actual grass on the courts right now :pac:), I think Kyrgios will cause the upset. In 4 or 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

I just hope you're right dom.

If this match was a later round in Wimbledon, I would probably side with Nadal, but with him still finding his feet on grass (and the fact that there is actual grass on the courts right now :pac:), I think Kyrgios will cause the upset. In 4 or 5.

This.

People seem to be forgetting Nadals' almost endless list of struggles with big hitters in week one Wimbledon.

Last year he had a good campaign - so that may be clouding people's memories a bit - but he played no power player early on, and the courts were essentially a clay court all year last year with the extreme heat

Even the years he won it/made finals he had some very close calls, and early 5 setters. He is not at all comfortable on fresh grass - relative to other surfaces of course. A straight sets win for Nadal at SW19 is almost a rarity

I'd imagine he'll come through, but if NK is on there's every chance of an upset imo

• Advertisement

I'll be stunned to see him win a set

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

Who?

Who?
    Kyrgios

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,259 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

You'll all be shocked to hear that Tomic was fined the entirety of his R1 prize money.

John isner is really struggling with kukushkin

• Registered Users Posts: 7,467 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Few on here seem to be dismissing Kyrgios today. I couldn't disagree more. I know he was poor vs. Thompson in Rd.1, and his general play has been underwhelming coming into Wimbledon but, imo, he is not like any other player in that his form doesn't matter a jot. Most players need to play themselves into form, build up momentum, confidence, etc. Kyrgios is mercurial, his game is based on how he's feeling in the moment, and he can turn it on like the flick of a switch when he wants to. And apart from Djokovic, he wants to beat no player more than Nadal.

It all depends on the Kyrgios that turns up really. I am hoping the one that comes out is one that wants to send a message to say how good they are. Kyrgios is well capable and has done it of beating the top players. If he actually put in the effort off the court he would be a top player.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,861 ✭✭✭Christy42

Floppybits wrote: »
    It all depends on the Kyrgios that turns up really. I am hoping the one that comes out is one that wants to send a message to say how good they are. Kyrgios is well capable and has done it of beating the top players. If he actually put in the effort off the court he would be a top player.

And if Isner had a great return game he would no. 1. Kyrgios is not capable of putting in the work and keeping his concentration up to be a top player.

You'll all be shocked to hear that Tomic was fined the entirety of his R1 prize money.

Super!

How do they prove it though, I suppose they have to highlight a few particular incidents and the fact he's a repeat offender also?

Like he could very well claim he was just unwell on the day, so I'd imagine the fact he's done this repeatedly would not help his case

Bertens gone. Isner from a set down, to a set up to exploding and beaten 3 2

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Bertens not gone yet on my screen anyway. In third set and looks like she should win comfortably from here.

• Advertisement

Bertens not gone yet on my screen anyway. In third set and looks like she should win comfortably from here.
    It showed on my live score that she lost second set 7 6

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭VillaMad

Kerber on the verge of heading out

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,259 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

I'm predicting Nadal to win in 4. Kyrgios to win a tight first, Nadal to win a tight-ish second, Nadal to run away with the third and Kyrgios to tank the fourth.

Juvan serving like a boss here

• Registered Users Posts: 6,400 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Yeah Nadal doesn't look in the mood for tolerating anything other than a quick victory.

If there's an early break for Nadal in the second, Kyrgios will throw the head up completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,914 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Nadal didn't like that improvised serve from Kyrgios one bit

Anisimova in trouble

Cant remember last time i saw an underarm ace.

Womens is beginning to look clearly like another barty party to me, serena doing nothing so far to suggest anyone can stop barty before the final anyway. Pliskova from other half the danger from what i've seen so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,400 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Cant remember last time i saw an underarm ace.
    Kyrgios it to Nadal about two months ago in Acapulco. The was uproar about it.

Advertisement