Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clare GAA Discussion part 2 , No Purple Jumpers Allowed !!

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

agree with this both himself and the man from tubber are walking a very tight line

dont agree with dropping kelly he is our top scorer from play this year both league and championship , he needs to be further forward though to have an impact

he deserved all the criticism in the world last year but this year he is trying hard playing out of position in a very defensive role

He scored 1 point from play in each of the Tipp Limerick games, not a great return in fairness, then again we aren't setting the world alight with scores from play

T Kelly 7, P Duggan 4, J Conlon 1-1, S Golden 2, P Collins 2, S O’Donnell 1, A McCarthy 1, R Taylor 1, D Fitzgerald 1, S McCarthy 1, D Ryan 1, C Galvin 1,

Only 5 players have scored from play twice this year

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Sir Guy who smiles

Hio wrote: »
    We can summarise and speculate all we want. The fact of the matter I believe is that the entire Clare Management should ' Resign' before Sunday. Most of the team shoukd b dropped and new blood brought in.

There is probably only one game left! You want a new manager for one game? With one week to turn things around for the next one?

Give management and players one last chance to beat a Cork team that has had our number since 2013. If we do they can leave with one score settled, unless results elsewhere let us through, then let them redeem themselves as best they can outside the pressure of the Munster round robin.

If they lose they lose, at least next years manager will start with a clean slate and not have a loss to feckin' Cork at home as his first match.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Sir Guy who smiles

And by players I mean the panel, not necessarily the same starters..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭big_drive

Sideline seating in Ennis, is that any good or is a terrace ticket better?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭opinionated3

big_drive wrote: »
    Sideline seating in Ennis, is that any good or is a terrace ticket better?

Should be ok for Sunday cos it's not looking like a sell out. But bear in mind rain is promised, and the sideline seats are not covered. Terrace tickets can get you into the covered terrace if you arrive early enough, but don't get caught near either end of that stand, cos you won't see a thing when the ball is at the other end of the field

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭big_drive

Should be ok for Sunday cos it's not looking like a sell out. But bear in mind rain is promised, and the sideline seats are not covered. Terrace tickets can get you into the covered terrace if you arrive early enough, but don't get caught near either end of that stand, cos you won't see a thing when the ball is at the other end of the field

Thanks. By any chance do you know what way they number that area or sections?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Sideline isn't covered but depending on the direction of the rain you might be ok, the sideline is the blue seats in front of the main stand
    Cusack_Park-20161007-004.jpg

It's harder to get off this team than it is to get on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Figerty

Clareman wrote: »
    It's harder to get off this team than it is to get on it.

Do you really believe that is the team?

• Advertisement

Figerty wrote: »

I hope not but the management have said in the past that they don't do dummy teams

• Registered Users Posts: 5,639 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

if they do make changes to that team i would expect , diarmuid ryan , david fitzgearld or maybe cathal malone to be worried , because the management dont have the balls to drop anyone else

how numbers 2 and 3 are starting is incredible , we are after getting embarrassed twice in two weeks and the biggest culprits are starting again

i have little doubt this is the team that will start , if its not fixed keep breaking it as they say :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭caddy16

if they do make changes to that team i would expect , diarmuid ryan , david fitzgearld or maybe cathal malone to be worried , because the management dont have the balls to drop anyone else

how numbers 2 and 3 are starting is incredible , we are after getting embarrassed twice in two weeks and the biggest culprits are starting again

i have little doubt this is the team that will start , if its not fixed keep breaking it as they say :rolleyes:

See this doesn't make sense to me. Do you realise the quality ball both the Tipp and Limerick full forward line got in both games?? Our problems are further out the field. Any defender will struggle with open space and quality ball.

I'm sorry but anyone who can pick out 2 of our fullback line as the 1st players to be dropped doesn't understand what's happened in the last couple of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Hio

No hard calls made the same more or so Clare hurling team announced. No substance by Mgt what so everdone on this team. Thst says it all a complete farce
    Get

There was a poster called GAA Talk a while back that sounds very like you Hio.

I dont agree to some extent re David Mc. he was badly exposed by the ball played into him against Limerick. No full back can cope with that. He's has a great leap into the air, but is poor to defend against big men. Brian Lohan would have suffered if marking Gillane.

I'd like to see Jack Browne in to Full back. Cleary at Centre. David Mc at Wing back on one of the speed merchants.
    We need a defensive midfielder blocking runs.
    I don't think David Fitz hurling has really progressed as much as would have been hoped.
    Malone has an engine, will work for ball but the return isn't what it should be.

Conlon and Duggan on the wings, with Kelly working off them at centre.

caddy16 wrote: »
    See this doesn't make sense to me. Do you realise the quality ball both the Tipp and Limerick full forward line got in both games?? Our problems are further out the field. Any defender will struggle with open space and quality ball.

I'm sorry but anyone who can pick out 2 of our fullback line as the 1st players to be dropped doesn't understand what's happened in the last couple of weeks.

The two boys could not cope with the movement of the guys they were marking. I just feel we have sticker guys then them that can do a job against Cork,

Yes Hannon and paddy ó Loughlin were excellent with there deliverys but we struggled to cope with the tipp forward movement also

I know when the ball is constantly being bombarded in on top of you it's hard, they were far too loose from there men at times

We really needed to make several changes for this game, even just to show face

I understand where people are coming from but patch and David mc have been badly exposed here and the guys are on the bench to replace them

We have lost 2 games to the total of 31 points in 7 days and the only 1 change in the half forward line, you really need more changes than this

I dont agree to some extent re David Mc. he was badly exposed by the ball played into him against Limerick. No full back can cope with that. He's has a great leap into the air, but is poor to defend against big men. Brian Lohan would have suffered if marking Gillane.

I'd like to see Jack Browne in to Full back. Cleary at Centre. David Mc at Wing back on one of the speed merchants.
    We need a defensive midfielder blocking runs.
    I don't think David Fitz hurling has really progressed as much as would have been hoped.
    Malone has an engine, will work for ball but the return isn't what it should be.

Conlon and Duggan on the wings, with Kelly working off them at centre.

Golden could be added to this also as his performance has dropped off a bit since the league, I am not Davey macs biggest fan in the full back line, he was always better on the 40, patch always had question marks over him long before this sequence of games

The tactic of dropping Kelly into the half back line is terrible, as you say there are far simpler ways of strengthening that area of the field

But keep taking off Morey, duggan or Fitzgerald or Malone when there are far more exposed players on the team is getting infuriating, if you are going playing mac put him out on the 40, as you say, Jason McCarthy for patch or even Morey back in there, even Oisín O’Brien, the player's are there to improve the team,

Whats wrong with putting in Ian Galvin or Aidan McCarthy for goldan, or even young Cooney for one of podge or O Donnell, its almost an insult to these guys that they have been overlooked

We have too many lads staying Sunday that are flat at the moment and underperforming

There was a poster called GAA Talk a while back that sounds very like you Hio.

I am still amazed people would go to them levels to troll

But I believe you are right, I will keep an eye on things don't worry

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭caddy16

The two boys could not cope with the movement of the guys they were marking. I just feel we have sticker guys then them that can do a job against Cork,

Yes Hannon and paddy ó Loughlin were excellent with there deliverys but we struggled to cope with the tipp forward movement also

I know when the ball is constantly being bombarded in on top of you it's hard, they were far too loose from there men at times

We really needed to make several changes for this game, even just to show face

I understand where people are coming from but patch and David mc have been badly exposed here and the guys are on the bench to replace them

We have lost 2 games to the total of 31 points in 7 days and the only 1 change in the half forward line, you really need more changes than this

Who could replace them?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Ryan has no pace for wing forward and should have been hauled off at half time against Tipp. Yet he gets back in the team!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Gael85

How come David Reidy not on panel this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Gael85 wrote: »
    How come David Reidy not on panel this year?

I was told he got sick of all the over analysis and reliance on stats and long video sessions. Obviously just hear say so don’t swear by that.

Certainly missed this year anyway as another option.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭letowski

People may think it's meaningless if we lose against Cork because we are not going to win anything this year, but tomorrow still has some importance. Another hammering would set Clare back a step in the future both confidence wise and in terms of team expectations going into championships.

Most of our core group of hurlers are still in their mid 20's or younger. We still have, in my opinion, about 9/10 quality starters on our team, but we need to inject the team with a couple of new players next year to get back competing at the top table. As bad as we were this year, I don't think we are a million miles off it. A good new coaching ticket and three new good additions to the starting team, along with the return of some players (likes of Reidy, McGrath, Cunningham, Shanahan, O'Brien, etc) should see us back hurling well.

Now whether we can get any of those players/coaches is another story, but it's important for the future that the players make a stand tomorrow and try to reset that bar of what is acceptable in terms of performance. The day these players accept and get used to hammerings is the day they will have no chance of any more success at senior level. Its an over used saying but they need to put pride back in the shirt.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Let’s hope those lads tomorrow can produce one big performance. No reason they can’t anyway.

caddy16 wrote: »
    Who could replace them?

i would have given jason mccarthy a run also given morey another chance it might mean moving someone like browne back to full back , if it didn't work out at least it would make lads fight for there own jersey

also in terms of stopping ball in to opposition forward lines , i would probably be looking at dropping someone like golden and bringing on ian galvin aidan mccarthy or taylor again if it doesn't work it makes lads fight for there place

last week adrian mullen form kilkenny was substituted after about 15 minutes against galway tonight he got the message and was flying

i dont buy the argument that we dont have a better alternative to the 15 that are starting especially when we are being beaten out the gate two weeks in a row

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

i would have given jason mccarthy a run also given morey another chance it might mean moving someone like browne back to full back , if it didn't work out at least it would make lads fight for there own jersey

also in terms of stopping ball in to opposition forward lines , i would probably be looking at dropping someone like golden and bringing on ian galvin aidan mccarthy or taylor again if it doesn't work it makes lads fight for there place

last week adrian mullen form kilkenny was substituted after about 15 minutes against galway tonight he got the message and was flying

i dont buy the argument that we dont have a better alternative to the 15 that are starting especially when we are being beaten out the gate two weeks in a row[/quote

]terrible team to put out after 2 tankings. No trust in the squad. Those 2 managers are truly awful. Tomorrow is the time to gamble and to make wholesale changes...actually last week was in hindsight. They ll get some sort of response tomorrow but will it be enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,037 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Galway going out of the championship will keep Cork minds focused on tomorrow.
    Unfortunately.

If that Cork FF line get the same ball Limerick did , them it could be a very uncomfortable afternoon.

Hard to see Clare even competing tomorrow with Cork in my view, rule out a win for sure because when Clare were doing better last year and the year before Cork were still a bogey team beating Clare in the last two Munster finals and also the round robin game too. Morale is at an all time low & Cork will exploit that even further I believe in Ennis tomorrow. I would love to think I am off the mark but most pundits are thinking the same. Fair play to Dublin who knocked Galway out of the championship tonight and also well done to Davys Wexford who qualified for the Leinster Final and the all ireland series. I know it might be a bit early but can't help asking out there what contenders will there be does one think for the Clare Hurling Manager next year/season. The Munster League will be on in December so no harm to get things rolling now because bar two miracles looks like this season is already finished for Clare

• Advertisement

Hard to see Clare even competing tomorrow with Cork in my view, rule out a win for sure because when Clare were doing better last year and the year before Cork were still a bogey team beating Clare in the last two Munster finals and also the round robin game too. Morale is at an all time low & Cork will exploit that even further I believe in Ennis tomorrow. I would love to think I am off the mark but most pundits are thinking the same. Fair play to Dublin who knocked Galway out of the championship tonight and also well done to Davys Wexford who qualified for the Leinster Final and the all ireland series. I know it might be a bit early but can't help asking out there what contenders will there be does one think for the Clare Hurling Manager next year/season. The Munster League will be on in December so no harm to get things rolling now because bar two miracles looks like this season is already finished for Clare

Advertisement