Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

From a Christmas Pudding to a Christmas Cracker - Weight Loss Motivation

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Managed to not buy in a lode of junk in over Christmas but was on the bus for work for December so pretty much had a jumbo size bag of Walkers Thai Sweet Chili chrisps from the Spar bought on the way home every other night. Mmmmm. Am avoiding walking that way home now -veryhard!At least all the green, strawberry snd square toffees are gone from the QS tin so I can refuse with impunity when I visit the folks -if I'm going to get fat it might as well be tasty fat ! After my favourite trousers wouldn't button up I gave up cooking a dinner when I came in from work & either had Alpen for dinner or a tin of soup with the added frozen veg that has been lingering ignored in the freezer all year. My favourite trousers not only button but now look almost good again. Phew. Just as well because the horror of getting the weighing scales out of the jumble room might frighten the hair off my head. May walk today or may not. Either way my lips are sealed -fluids only after 5pm. As Meatloaf said - put down the fork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Found the last two days difficult since weigh in 5lbs down Thursday. Homes been a bit mental with sick kids and I’m the worst self saboteur ever. It’s like I get a great loss but I’m still so annoyed at needing a great loss. Having said that I’ve held it together and stayed on plan both days albeit using my HEB (slimming world fibre reference) on their little bars to satisfy the need to eat my feelings

• Registered Users Posts: 3,794 ✭✭✭Jude13

Failed to go to the gym yesterday due to Friday pints. Although I went Friday and this morning. I fell over a lot of stuff in the dark so the OH will not be happy.

I really need to get the evening runs in this week. Next Wednesday is the OH's due date so I know I will be eating rubbish that week.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I went to the gym after having to work overtime yesterday. Today is definitely a day off and much needed rest.

After skipping the gym yesterday I am day behind so have to do a session on my rest day, Tuesday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

Cringing but I have to admit I am only out of my Christmas indulging now. Am on the train again tho! Pretty exciting to think where we'll be this time next year if we stay on the beam :)

AF; if I can last three months it will be amazing, not the results, just that I managed it. I am avoiding weighing myself until the weekend. I am not on a huge weight loss buzz more the fit of my suits.

Did the gym yesterday morning and a 6km jog last night. 5:15 alarm this morning was a kick in the neither regions. I felt like I was going to puke at the gym. I did my weights and then HIT on a weird bike that you have to push the handles forward and back. I was ready to puke.

Some possers in the gym this morning, I guess I am just jealous.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Prominent_Dawg

Down five pounds since New Years, yesterday was my first bad day, so hopefully back on It today

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Jude13 wrote: »
    Some possers in the gym this morning, I guess I am just jealous.

I must be jealous too cause that’s my biggest pet peeve. I’ve noticed it gets worse every year as younger gym members think it’s the norm to pose, check themselves out in the mirrors while tensing and take selfies while working out.

Thankfully the times I go to the gym seem to be full of people going to work after who all have the mentality of get in head down and get out. Much like my approach to work :P

• Registered Users Posts: 10,108 ✭✭✭✭DvB

I made the huge mistake of weighing myself this morning after a hectic weekend where I got little exercise in but ate like it was still christmas, polished off a chocolate santa, half a tube of pringles, fruit scone, a few guinness on Saturday night and a few other bits & bobs, I'm now up another pound!!!
    Made the decision as soon as I saw the scales that that was that & tofay is the start of getting serious with eating junk. The hard part is that I feel shattered tired, am up to my eyes in work & know I'll be exhausted getting off the train later & in no mood to get stuck into exercising... might have to drag some serious determination out from somehwere later.

Have to say impressed with all you lads hitting the gym, especially early in the morning. Even at my peak I could never do the first thing in the morning gym thing... a run yes, but gym.... not a chance. Now I'm in my mid 40's I suspect the temptation will never arise!!
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Advertisement

DvB wrote: »
    I made the huge mistake of weighing myself this morning after a hectic weekend where I got little exercise in but ate like it was still christmas, polished off a chocolate santa, half a tube of pringles, fruit scone, a few guinness on Saturday night and a few other bits & bobs, I'm now up another pound!!!
    Made the decision as soon as I saw the scales that that was that & tofay is the start of getting serious with eating junk. The hard part is that I feel shattered tired, am up to my eyes in work & know I'll be exhausted getting off the train later & in no mood to get stuck into exercising... might have to drag some serious determination out from somehwere later.

Have to say impressed with all you lads hitting the gym, especially early in the morning. Even at my peak I could never do the first thing in the morning gym thing... a run yes, but gym.... not a chance. Now I'm in my mid 40's I suspect the temptation will never arise!!

Honestly put the energy you have left into prepping and planning your food properly to avoid the junk. Worry about the gym when you have more stable blood sugar from a good diet? Diet is more important than exercise

Only putting on a pound after that feed would be a success to me.

The possers are generally not that young, many air hostesses (is that what they are still called) and serious fitness people in my gym in the mornings. They look serious dedicated and have all the coordinated outfits. There are only a few intagram types taking pictures or their arses in the mirrors. It's more that they have already put the work in so are ripped. Whereas Im wheezing around lifting tiny weights and mumbling "feck" and "ars" under my breath.

I can't do weights in the evening/night. I used to try but I just wasnt getting the same results

DvB wrote: »

I only started this prework gym schedule this year, for years I said to myself I'd love to be able to be one of those people who go to the gym before work and I just realised the only thing stopping me is myself and my alarm, so I made changes to my sleeping habits and committed to doing it and I have to admin I'm really enjoying it so far!

Honestly put the energy you have left into prepping and planning your food properly to avoid the junk. Worry about the gym when you have more stable blood sugar from a good diet? Diet is more important than exercise

They do say diet is 80% of it and exercise is 20%.

Loughc wrote: »
    They do say diet is 80% of it and exercise is 20%.

Yeah and I’ve been that person before I had my foot operation. Massively overweight but decently fit. It did tone me a bit but I didn’t drop much weight

Yeah and I’ve been that person before I had my foot operation. Massively overweight but decently fit. It did tone me a bit but I didn’t drop much weight

Exactly. For me exercise is all about mental health, toning and inches and better fitness and health, it won't necessarily make you lose weight but it's a great motivator.

I find it hard to want to tuck into something bold after spending a hour in the gym. But if I didn't go it'd be easy to let myself away with eating off plan.

I'm the worst, and have been since I was a young teen so training like a loon so I could eat a cheat day everyday. Sadly life takes over and also the body falls apart so its impossible to do this.

I still use getting in a big session or a run over 10km as a excuse for a burger and chessey fries....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,108 ✭✭✭✭DvB

The frustrating thing for me is the fact that for 50 weeks of the year I eat pretty healthily & moderate my junk intake. I've just found it hard this year to let go of the christmas attitude which i'm normally great at limiting to a few days of indulgence.

As Jude says, sometimes life takes over & that makes it harder to get your head back in the game so to speak. I'll get there though. Not letting years of hard work go down the tubes for a few treats!

They're nearly all gone now anyway, thankfully!
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 2,417 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Made it through the weekend relatively unscathed. Although did fall off the wagon on Saturday night but on the whole most of my meals have been on plan & I've been managing to avoid eating my body weight in chocolate! Even made himself and the kids pancakes on both Saturday & Sunday for breakfast (they are getting notions) and didn't have a single one myself!

Not sure what way I'll be exercise wise this week - will try to get a walk in tomorrow and Thursday. Won't manage it on Friday as I'm getting my hair done because the work Christmas do is Friday night :D

CheerLouth wrote: »
    MWon't manage it on Friday as I'm getting my hair done because the work Christmas do is Friday night :D

Oh exciting, insist on Christmas Decorations and music for your work do! :P

• Advertisement

Loughc wrote: »
    Oh exciting, insist on Christmas Decorations and music for your work do! :P

I've got high hopes for it! It's in a posh hotel in Naas & we get to stay overnight. There better be at least a Christmas tree at it! :P

Our Christmas party was to be in the 31st of Jan but it has been canceled, I am thinking indefinitely.

I have been away too long, there are posh hotels in Naas?

I have been away too long, there are posh hotels in Naas?

It could be outside Naas - I'm not familiar with that part of the world lol. It's the Kilashee anyway

CheerLouth wrote: »
    It could be outside Naas - I'm not familiar with that part of the world lol. It's the Kilashee anyway

Kilashee is a lovely hotel. Very nice!

I take it back. Can you please 'borrow' the little red sports car on the website pics for me.

I have a gluten free white pudding uncooked in the back of the fridge. It doesnt have its cardboard packaging on it anymore so I am right in assuming that its sugar, carb and fat free, right?

I have a gluten free white pudding uncooked in the back of the fridge. It doesnt have its cardboard packaging on it anymore so I am right in assuming that its sugar, carb and fat free, right?

You assume correctly :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Prominent_Dawg

Weighed myself this morning after a really bad day yesterday which I shouldn’t have done was up almost 3lbs just from yesterday, was so mad with myself and tempted to have a scone and cream cheese for breakfast but forced myself to have oats, currently back to 62.6kg which is considered overweight for me

weighed Myself this morning after a really bad day yesterday which I shouldn’t have done was up almost 3lbs just from yesterday was so mad with myself and tempted to have a scone and cream cheese for breakfast but forced myself to have oats

Don’t worry too much about one bad day.

If you do want to weigh yourself pick one day a week and stick to that day everyweek. That will show you a more fairer view of your weight.

Weight fluctuates throughout the week so I wouldn’t worry too much.

acpxv.jpg

• Advertisement

PD, I had a similar day, I have been training hard but not enough cardio, I know this but didnt expect that 6 days a week in the gym wouldn't burn something. And I know muscle weighs 4 times fat.

But for some stupid reason I weighed myself yesterday evening, all other weights I have taken have been firs thing in the morning. I felt sick when it read 100kg, up 2kg. My OH jumped on and it was wrong for her, this can happen on our weird tiles. So we moved it and it weighed her correctly (she had been at the doc the day before and was weighed on a proper scale). I was thinking phew...I bet I have lost some, as I feel great and clothes are comfortable. But I had put on .7kg, so 98.7kg. My aim is 88kg. So since Jan 2 I have gone a bit backwards.

Trying not to weigh in until the end of the month now and I will try more cardio. I have a rest day today which meant a bit of a lie in.

Advertisement