Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Formula E - Gen.2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,524 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

skipper_G wrote: »
    Yep that's where I watched it this evening. For all the messing around with the channels, the racing was actually pretty good

Yes it was a good race alright. Wherlen done good. Stoffel Vandoorne not so. No idea what happened to Massa to go from 9th to nearly last.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,403 ✭✭✭Harika

Vandoorne was running well just made an error that costed him. HWA have a lot to learn.
    Sims did great too.
    Massa was pushed into the wall by Gunther.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Thing with FE is that it really is proper racing. Our can see that the guys arent afraid to crash. I think it's almost expected to have some people crash, so more risks are taken. The 3 races this season has shown that!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Inviere

antodeco wrote: »
    Thing with FE is that it really is proper racing. Our can see that the guys arent afraid to crash. I think it's almost expected to have some people crash, so more risks are taken. The 3 races this season has shown that!

I'd expect that to change when the money really rolls in, and there's a bit more mainstream recognition of it. It's kinda what helps it at the moment, it's still raw, and pure. F1 has become too measured in comparison.

Inviere wrote: »
    I'd expect that to change when the money really rolls in, and there's a bit more mainstream recognition of it. It's kinda what helps it at the moment, it's still raw, and pure. F1 has become too measured in comparison.

FE cars are also build for close racing. See the wheel protection, something like in Macao should theoretically not happen there. And IMO is money pouring in atm, while still limited by standard parts the amount of sponsors and manufacturers is astounding.

• Advertisement

Harika wrote: »
    FE cars are also build for close racing. See the wheel protection, something like in Macao should theoretically not happen there.

I like the design, the cars look and race well. How would those cars perform on a track like Spa though, would it translate well, or do they require the slow speed/small lap street tracks they're currently on?
    And IMO is money pouring in atm, while still limited by standard parts the amount of sponsors and manufacturers is astounding.

I'd imagine though compared to F1, it's still small fry in terms of team investment. The budgets of Mercedes and Ferrari alone are astronomical.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,621 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Mexico City tomorrow.

Inviere wrote: »
    I like the design, the cars look and race well. How would those cars perform on a track like Spa though, would it translate well, or do they require the slow speed/small lap street tracks they're currently on?

The cars are on a speed level somewhere between Formula Ford and Formula 3. For FE it makes no sense to go to Spa as their customers are in towns or urban areas. Also the smaller tracks made the races look more spectacular and covered the lower speed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,616 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Looking forward to watching the iPace race too. Good time in the evening to have the main race. This series is getting better as the years go on.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

Pascal Wherlein is on pole for today's race at 10pm.

Attack zone is in the stadium between turns 8 and 9, I'm thinking there'll be a few bumps as it's quite tight.

https://www.facebook.com/490941397612413/posts/2341099969263204/

• Advertisement

Currently under red flag. Clock is still ticking down which I think is a bit of a loss for the fans/viewers. No cars going around, and the time is running out.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,783 ✭✭✭✭flazio

astrofluff wrote: »
    Currently under red flag. Clock is still ticking down which I think is a bit of a loss for the fans/viewers. No cars going around, and the time is running out.

Clock will be reset. It's not like a practice session.

Nice. Should be a good restart with attack mode and safety car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

Clock has been reset. That was a nasty crash for Piquet.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

So much confusion around what's going on. Safety car doing 2 laps for no reason I can see.

I'm enjoying this.

Oh my word. What a final lap.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

That ending was more tense and exciting than any F1 race last season.....!

astrofluff wrote: »
    Oh my word. What a final lap.

It sure was. Very bad day for the Knee-sahns.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,783 ✭✭✭✭flazio

That was good. They might sound like milk floats but my word they can race.

• Advertisement

Harika wrote: »
    For FE it makes no sense to go to Spa as their customers are in towns or urban areas.

I don't get that argument. Most everyone who goes to a motorsport event lives in a town or urban area :confused: Is it not that they're targeting street tracks because as you say, the speed delta between FE and F1 would make racing on dedicated sprawling tracks less appealing? Do you feel that as FE evolves, along with the tech, that as the cars get faster and faster the sport will outgrow the confines of narrow street tracks, and naturally gravitate towards dedicated racing circuits?
    flazio wrote: »
    That was good. They might sound like milk floats but my word they can race.

Very true. The cars are damned racey.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Thought Werleins penalty was harsh, thought he was pushed off and when he rejoined he slowed down completely to where Di Grassi was right on his rear again.

Fascinating ending and the crowd in the stands went wild for it

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭jv2000

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    Thought Werleins penalty was harsh, thought he was pushed off and when he rejoined he slowed down completely to where Di Grassi was right on his rear again.

Fascinating ending and the crowd in the stands went wild for it

Agree the penalty was a bit harsh. On the other side of things though when he ran out of battery on the final straight did he try to take out Di Grassi or was it a poor attempt at getting out of the way? I was actually wondering if Werhlein was trying to get Di Grassi to ram into the back of him hence pushing him over the line in first place.... bit of a stretch maybe but Werhlein has already made it clear that he is only interested in winning.

Also I know that they have been trying to be very smart by communication with the winning driver as he is in the car but who in the world thought it would be a good idea to speak to Di Grassi directly after that? He must have been on an adrenaline peak - they deserved the F-bomb in my opinion :)

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

jv2000 wrote: »
    Also I know that they have been trying to be very smart by communication with the winning driver as he is in the car but who in the world thought it would be a good idea to speak to Di Grassi directly after that? He must have been on an adrenaline peak - they deserved the F-bomb in my opinion :)

They do it every race, and someone always curses. It's what I like about it. It's actually real. True emotions and they act exactly as we would. Less "prim and proper" versus F1 which is a good thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭youreadthat

Really enjoying Formula e this year. Hope they bring the UK race back.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,972 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

• Registered Users Posts: 11,841 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

They're already there in a sense, they're using HWA to dip their toes in.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,972 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

They're already there in a sense, they're using HWA to dip their toes in.

So... I don't watch FE at all... and based on that I have no idea what Merc have actually announced.

The statement says Season 5, 18/19 - which from my quick google is already underway.

Are they bringing in a car mid-season? Are they just name changing another car (HWA?)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,841 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Well, speaking of Mercedes, they've unveiled the livery for their 2019/20 challenger. The article mentions that HWA will run the team, so yes, they're probably changing the name of another team.

• Advertisement

Hong Kong ePrix is on this weekend and it's an early race on Sunday morning from 7.30am (race at 8.03am) with lots of viewing options:

Ireland: Virgin Media
    UK: BBC Two, BT Sport 3, BBC Red Button, Eurosport 1

https://www.fiaformulae.com/en/watch/ways-to-watch?country=eca2a2b0fe4543edb1fa0e8c0fb7ac79

Advertisement