Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Deadlift Form

• 02-07-2018 11:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I've recently noticed that when I'm doing a deadlift that I have a tendancy to straighten me legs first and then perform what is essentially a stiff legged DL to complete the move.

I get away with it at the lighter weights but as I move up it gets worse and probably added to my back pain that I have recovered from.

Any advice on how to improve my DL form?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Conservatory

Go lower weight get the lift right then go up. Could be anything from tight hamstrings to where you look when lifting.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 THH

Hi,

I've recently noticed that when I'm doing a deadlift that I have a tendancy to straighten me legs first and then perform what is essentially a stiff legged DL to complete the move.

I get away with it at the lighter weights but as I move up it gets worse and probably added to my back pain that I have recovered from.

A few steps to improve your DL form.

1. Stand upright, close your eyes and imagine that you will jump in the air. Your stand for the DL should exactly be the same.

2. Push as much air as possible into your belly and keep it.

3. Grap the bar. Now try to bend the bar towards you (which of course won't happen). This will stabilize your upper back.

4. Keep your head in a neutral position.

5. Get up.

If you follow these steps you should be able to do a DL in a good form.

The reason why you first straighten your legs could be the backpain. You unintentionally try to protect your back, thus you straighten your legs first; which then of course makes your back pain even worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Funny that this has been brought up again.

I noticed recently that when I stopped switching grip on every rep my back pain reduced significantly. I normally do a single DL, reset, and then go again - as opposed to continuous touch and go, like most others do.

I notice that my 'weaker' grip (L-underhand; R-overhand) resulted in me straining the lower RHS of my back. Not sure why.
    When I stopped alternating the grip per rep and split the set into two subsets of each grip then the pain has pretty much gone away. Also, less fatigued too.

I'm not pulling big weights though - 125kg @ 72kg bodyweight.

I tried the double overhand grip, but it felt like I was always going to fall forwards, so I stopped.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,082 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Why are you alternating your grip between every rep?

What is your overall objective? We can talk about mental cues and assistance exercises to strengthen weak points (and ideally we'd have a video of you performing the lift to view and discuss) but the place to start here is why are you training and what is your training objective? The Deadlift is an excellent movement, but may not be essential for everyone depending on their goals.

Edit: sorry, I was confused by the time lag between this thread being started and later responses. From rereading your last post OP, I take it that you're now happy with how the movement is going for you?

Funny that this has been brought up again.

I have noticed that there wasn't an answer to your question, so I brought it up again.
    I noticed recently that when I stopped switching grip on every rep my back pain reduced significantly. I normally do a single DL, reset, and then go again - as opposed to continuous touch and go, like most others do.

I notice that my 'weaker' grip (L-underhand; R-overhand) resulted in me straining the lower RHS of my back. Not sure why.

Could be that you jerkily pull and/or that you have to "double lock out" at the top of the DL as your grip loosens which causes stress on your lower back.

When I stopped alternating the grip per rep and split the set into two subsets of each grip then the pain has pretty much gone away. Also, less fatigued too.

What about doing 2 sets, one with each grip. You can remove 10 kg or so on your weaker grip.
    I'm not pulling big weights though - 125kg @ 72kg bodyweight.

I tried the double overhand grip, but it felt like I was always going to fall forwards, so I stopped.

Did you ever try the Jefferson DL? Maybe a good idea for your back.

• Advertisement

Thanks - I'll try the Jefferson DL. I sometimes would do a sumo DL, but never really got the technique right.

THH wrote: »
    I have noticed that there wasn't an answer to your question, so I brought it up again.
    Ahh, okay :)
    Could be that you jerkily pull and/or that you have to "double lock out" at the top of the DL as your grip loosens which causes stress on your lower back.
    I noticed that there was a tilt in the bar - I was lifting higher on the side that I was hurting - can't figure out why that is so.
    What about doing 2 sets, one with each grip. You can remove 10 kg or so on your weaker grip.
    Is there any need to reverse the grip? I distinctly remember being told that it is tough on the bicep and switching was good.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,550 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

There's no need to switch which hand is reversed. If your arms are lockrd straight, which they should more or less be, then the chance of ripping your bicep etc is fairly slim.

Thanks - I'll try the Jefferson DL. I sometimes would do a sumo DL, but never really got the technique right.

I never have been a friend of sumo. And never got the technique. Also it doesn't make a lot of sense for functional strength. I mean who in the world would choose a suma stance to pick up something heavy.

There's no need to switch which hand is reversed. If your arms are lockrd straight, which they should more or less be, then the chance of ripping your bicep etc is fairly slim.

Exactly! Just if you lift often and heavy chances are that your upper back gets imbalanced. But most people who lift that heavy don't care of looks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,550 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

THH wrote: »
    Exactly! Just if you lift often and heavy chances are that your upper back gets imbalanced. But most people who lift that heavy don't care of looks.

Except lots of people who lift heavy and often don't have obvious imbalances in terms of strength or look

• Registered Users Posts: 8 wotapalaver

Hi,

I found the rippetoe setup videos on deadlift really good. And there's one by Brian Shaw working with a crossfitter to improve his deadlift that had great cues too.

But, best I ever got on deadlift were workshop sessions with a trainer. Grace Tedford. She was working at my gym at the time. Has her own place now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 wotapalaver

Except lots of people who lift heavy and often don't have obvious imbalances in terms of strength or look

Yeah....if your form is good and you're locked in, the angle differences are very slight. You're not gonna grow crooked or anything.

Advertisement