Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Migration Megathread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,319 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

See the Polish are grand because they're the right kind of foreigner. The brown people though? Well that's a takeover.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,266 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Sand wrote: »
    America was surprisingly stable in its demographics throughout the 20th century and indeed the 19th century. It was 80% white in 1790. It grew to 88% white in 1900, and stabilised at 88-89% white for the next 70 years. So for 180 years the USA was at least 80% white and for the majority of that time higher again. Over just the past 40-50 years, those demographics have rapidly changed. This was accomplished with no discussion, and no democratic mandate.

Again, the mistake you're making is the crude categorisation by skin colour, as if German Protestants, Italian Catholics and Ukrainian Jews, for example, are all one homogenous group. They weren't. There were successive waves of immigration that altered the make-up of the US and they're continuing to this day.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,769 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Again, the mistake you're making is the crude categorisation by skin colour, as if German Protestants, Italian Catholics and Ukrainian Jews, for example, are all one homogenous group. They weren't. There were successive waves of immigration that altered the make-up of the US and they're continuing to this day.

This seems like a good point.

Where does the journey from 'no Irish need apply' to dyeing the Hudson green every March 17th fit into a supposed 'stable demographic'?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

Memnoch wrote: »
    I'm on the left and have no interest in excusing islamic intolerance. I have every sympathy for the working class. I just don't see any evidence of this so called Muslim takeover of Ireland or the EU. It seems little more than a fanciful conspiracy theory boosted ultimately by the underlying prejudice of its proponents.

To be honest it's a well-worn path throughout human history:

1. Foreigners from X-land arrive.
    2. Some X-landers struggle with some aspects of living in new country.
    3. People more interested in hearing exciting stories of X-landers causing trouble than boring stories of X-landers going about their normal daily lives (i.e Daily Express-type media knows '300 X-landers convicted of MURDER AND RAPE last year' gets more hits than '1,000,000 X-landers DID NOTHING BUT GO ABOUT THEIR LIVES QUIETLY AND PEACEFULLY last year.
    4. Barrage of media about delinquent or violent X-landers leads to widespread belief that X-landers are inherently delinquent, violent, and lack the same levels of decency as natives.
    5. X-landers who get jobs blamed for 'taking peoples jobs' and those who don't get jobs blamed for 'taking peoples welfare' .
    6. Years go by. World does not end. Natives grow up with X-landers and become used to them and mix with them/their children in the normal course of daily life.

. . . .

7. Foreigners from Z-land arrive. Recommence process replacing 'X-lander' with 'Z-lander'.

So it is -- so it shall always be.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

To be honest it's a well-worn path throughout human history:

1. Foreigners from X-land arrive.
    2. Some X-landers struggle with some aspects of living in new country.
    3. People more interested in hearing exciting stories of X-landers causing trouble than boring stories of X-landers going about their normal daily lives (i.e Daily Express-type media knows '300 X-landers convicted of MURDER AND RAPE last year' gets more hits than '1,000,000 X-landers DID NOTHING BUT GO ABOUT THEIR LIVES QUIETLY AND PEACEFULLY last year.
    4. Barrage of media about delinquent or violent X-landers leads to widespread belief that X-landers are inherently delinquent, violent, and lack the same levels of decency as natives.
    5. X-landers who get jobs blamed for 'taking peoples jobs' and those who don't get jobs blamed for 'taking peoples welfare' .
    6. Years go by. World does not end. Natives grow up with X-landers and become used to them and mix with them/their children in the normal course of daily life.

. . . .

7. Foreigners from Z-land arrive. Recommence process replacing 'X-lander' with 'Z-lander'.

So it is -- so it shall always be.

Do the Native Americans fit nicely into this story? What about the Australian Aborigines? Or the Lebanese Christians, or the Taiwanese, or, that favorite of the left, Palestinians? Do you think they'd all have a good 'ol laugh at your witty little story?

• Advertisement

Gravelly wrote: »
    Do the Native Americans fit nicely into this story? What about the Australian Aborigines? Or the Lebanese Christians, or the Taiwanese, or, that favorite of the left, Palestinians? Do you think they'd all have a good 'ol laugh at your witty little story?

Well no Gravelly they don't fit into this story as we are talking about immigration here and not colonial/military conquest or invasions. Muslims aren't exactly landing on the beaches with armies and sticking the crescent moon flag in the sand . . .

Well no Gravelly they don't fit into this story as we are talking about immigration here and not colonial/military conquest or invasions. Muslims aren't exactly landing on the beaches with armies and sticking the crescent moon flag in the sand . . .

invasion
    ɪnˈveɪʒ(ə)n/Submit
    noun
    an incursion by a large number of people or things into a place or sphere of activity.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,082 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_City_draft_riots

And successive incididences of racical / cultural tension related to that constant change.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,266 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    And successive incididences of racical / cultural tension related to that constant change.

Exactly. It's nothing new.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,082 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I don't think words like "invasion" or "takeover" are particularly helpful or relevant. This discussion requires less sensationalism. The changes society has undergone over the past thirty years are dramatic enough on their own.

• Advertisement

invasion
    ɪnˈveɪʒ(ə)n/Submit
    noun
    an incursion by a large number of people or things into a place or sphere of activity.

Gravelly , I do like to try give somewhat substantial responses to people I engage with on this. But comparing Muslim immigrants or refugees fleeing from war with an army coming over to forcibly/violently remove people from their land and to claim the land as their sovereign territory is just an outrageously squalid argument.

Gravelly , I do like to try give somewhat substantial responses to people I engage with on this. But comparing Muslim immigrants or refugees fleeing from war with an army coming over to forcibly/violently remove people from their land and to claim the land as their sovereign territory is just an outrageously squalid argument.

"substantial responses" is right :rolleyes:

I didn't compare them - did you read my post?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,130 ✭✭✭screamer

Sand wrote: »
    There's people up north have the same fear about Catholics.

Yes, and that demonstrates how deep and damaging demographic divisions can go. We have two populations, both Christian, both white (so indistinguishable from each other) and even drawn from the same Gaelic heritage if you go back far enough. And still intensely bitter hatreds and political division that has endured for 400 years and could endure for another 400. Why would you want to repeat this experience across western Europe?

Are you really betting and European and non-European groups who have much greater differences are going to get on better? The history of the former Yugoslavia doesn't bode well, let alone current events where suicide bombings and truck rampages are now a thing in Europe that requires tens of thousands of soldiers patrolling city streets. Where-ever you find diversity, you find conflict and atrocities.
    The fact is populations change over time. We all live on the same planet, if Ireland becomes a Muslim majority country, that's nature at work.

This is not nature. This is policy. Look at the US 1965 Immigration Act. That was a political choice, it was not a natural occurrence. The US was actually *more* white in 1965 than the USA was throughout the 19th century. After the 1965 act that has collapsed in just 50 years. That was a choice. Many western European governments are also making or have made choices, but you don't see it discussed openly in political manifestos. If you want to see this sort of demographic change, then seek a mandate for it openly. Don't piss on my back and tell me its raining.
    There was a time we had no Catholics in Ireland. This all revolves back to protectionism. How things are now for me are fine. Any equality or change in that is seen as a threat and it's understandable people become fearful of change. As borne out in the like of the US where we actually have the descendants of conquers and immigrants campaigning against immigrants and fearful of being conquered. The Aboriginals, First nations and Palestinians would have been right to be fearful on their 'settlers' from abroad. Maybe the great white west is fearful it might get a taste of it's own medicine.

So is this demographic change supposed to be a positive or a punishment?

Lets look at how it goes for whites in America. They are passing into minority status, and for the past 70 years their fellow citizens have been told that whites have undue power and wealth, that they cheated and stole it, and that they have misused it to oppress others. Lets see how that situation develops and see if they do indeed get a taste of their own medicine as you put it. Preferably from a distance.

If it works out like south Africa then white Americans will be fleeing America as they won't be able to get jobs or even hold onto them.
    Immigration is good but not to the point that it destroys the culture and demographic of the country, whatever country that is. Look at Belgium for an example where a minority around the Hague became a majority and wanted lots of things changed to reflect their culture etc. It caused huge problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Mancomb Seepgood

screamer wrote: »
    If it works out like south Africa then white Americans will be fleeing America as they won't be able to get jobs or even hold onto them.

Not a great example,white South Africans are far less likely to be unemployed than South Africans of other races: https://www.news24.com/analysis/ramaphosa-right-about-big-difference-between-black-and-white-unemployment-20180221?mobile=true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Immigration is good but not to the point that it destroys the culture and demographic of the country, whatever country that is. Look at Belgium for an example where a minority around the Hague became a majority and wanted lots of things changed to reflect their culture etc. It caused huge problems.

You feel the Cherokee or Choctaw might run the immigrant white Europeans out of the U.S.?
    You feel they might take back their land and reclaim all white owned property, Mugabe style?

Ireland has been transformed time and again. There is still an Irish culture, al-be-it changed from the days before the Vikings, Norse, Britons, Huguenots etc. etc.

By 'destroy' you might mean change? Immigration is nothing new.
    All I can see here is a dislike of a certain kind of immigrant.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Look at Belgium for an example where a minority around the Hague became a majority and wanted lots of things changed to reflect their culture etc. It caused huge problems.

...not least of which was moving The Hague to Belgium! Damn those pesky immigrants and their city-moving antics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

You are right they arent...... they are taxing our food through a complex system of Halal. They are running Sharia courts and their culture runs contrary to ours...... Dont ask me to start listing about Bacha Bazi and slavery

• Registered Users Posts: 7,201 ✭✭✭facehugger99

It's simple maths. A chocolate bar divided between three people gives each individual more chocolate than the same bar divided between four.

Simple thinking more like.

The 'chocolate bar' is not static, in fact the chocolate bar has been getting bigger every year.

You have assumed that while population increases, the available resources remain static. These scare-theories were being peddled back in the late-60's and have been widely debunked in the intervening decades. Today less people die of starvation than did 40 years ago, despite the population more than doubling in the same period. The percentage of the world's population who qualify as "undernourished" (according to the UN) has fallen by more than half in the same period, from 33% to 16%.

The trend is in the opposite direction of what you have predicted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Funny thing is that people are only fearful of the whole "muslim" angle right now because of those brain-dead, waste's of cultural, genetic and ideological space called "islamic" state and the like. Most of this crap originated from that cancerous pit of stupidity (idiot clerics) in Saudi Arabia and even the royals in charge there realise that this brand of Islam is wholly toxic to their civilisation long term and giving too many a bad name.

There are issue's were religion has been a serious problem in various parts of the world but the crap that's prevalent now isn't neccssarily gonna be the same 40 or 50 years from now. It's why these thing's are so difficult to predict.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭BabyCheeses

invasion
    ɪnˈveɪʒ(ə)n/Submit
    noun

What's the point in the hyperbole? People will spend more time arguing your dramatics and not the issue. Is there a reason to avoid a reasoned adult conversation?

• Advertisement

What's the point in the hyperbole? People will spend more time arguing your dramatics and not the issue. Is there a reason to avoid a reasoned adult conversation?

So your mate starts talking about armies and invasions and I'm the one accused of hyperbole? Adult conversation me hole.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,053 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

"substantial responses" is right :rolleyes:

I didn't compare them - did you read my post?
    So your mate starts talking about armies and invasions and I'm the one accused of hyperbole? Adult conversation me hole.

Please read the charter before posting here again. This is a forum for serious discussion and the above comments fall short of this.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Conservatory

I see it like this. We need young working age people to pay our pensions. A great side effect to the war on terror is loads of young families fleeing to their oppressors to pay the pensions of their oppressors. I think the U2 song bullet the blue sky touched on it in the 80s.
    We are plundering the Middle East for its labour force in a way. Mad really but what are the alternatives?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Darragh123789

I think the real answer to globalism boils down to one question:
    "is race mixing a bad thing?"

To me, preserving Irish and European culture is extremely important. To others, not so much. It saddens me that we are projected to be the smallest ethnic group in our own country by 2050. To others, this isn't a problem.

When it comes to this "Muslim takeover", I'm concerned about problems relating to jobs, residential space, terrorism etc. I'm not sure about anyone else, but post-2010 has been nothing but years of proof that we need to do something immediately.

Edit: This is my first post here, I'm not sure if I did it right.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Fair enough. It has been some time since the last terrorist attacks in London and Paris so maybe the military presence is more subtle now or it's being scaled down. I don't know.

Yes, but there will always be another one along shortly. Paris had another attack just yesterday. After 70 years of mass migration, Europe has a "homegrown" Islamic insurgency for which which governments have no solution except to endure. While there is no easy solution, we can avoid further pursuing the policy which created (at least the conditions for) the problem.
    I don't think it does. This link from 2017 gives 850 as the total number of people who have joined ISIS. Given that there are millions of Muslims in the UK this is a very low number though I do have to admit that it is higher than the number of Muslims in the armed forces (480 according to this)

ISIS not to be able to recruit any British Muslims if they are as English as anyone else. But they are.
    Except that the areas which voted for Leave tended to exhibit the lowest levels of immigraiton. From The Economist:

This suggests that it wasn't a loss of English culture and identity which fuelled the Leave vote but a perceived loss of said culture and identity.

Well, yes, but I think people are misinterpreting that correlation.

Those areas will have likely seen whats happening in areas of high immigration and in their capital. They may even have left those areas themselves (white flight again) or know someone who has. There are English communities in London that have simply ceased to be. Eastenders still portrays a cast that is overwhelmingly English, but its a fantasy in more ways than one as those English communities are gone in reality.

And the areas which high immigration? By that point the English are the minority in any vote. You cant expect these areas to be concerned about the loss of English identity.
    I don't know exactly what is behind it. I've mentioned economics before. However, many bastions of collectivism have collapsed such as organised religion, trade unions, workers clubs (Saw one in Battle. Had no idea they even existed), etc. Today's people seem to be much more focused on the individual which is good in a liberal sense but bad in that these social outlets have largely disappeared. Social media and the internet are also likely to be playing a part in this.

Yes, I think an undermining of collective institutions has played a role in it to. What was restrictive to some did provide support to others. Their hollowing out has not been an unqualified success. Freedom can go hand in hand with increased freedom to fail to compete economically, socially, politically. It does feed back into the neo-liberalism issue.
    You say that new immigrants are hostile to British heritage but I disagree. I'm not seeing much in the way of hostility from most immigrants. If anyone is hostile to British heritage, it's modern University students but that's a discussion for somewhere else methinks.

Well, I admit I was thinking of university students. There was an incident last year where Cambridge students (of a migrant background) called for the English curriculum to be decolonised: i.e. remove English authors from the curriculum in favour of non-English authors. What I took from that is that when immigration was sold, it was assured that the new arrivals would integrate and become British/English. What has actually happened is the British have had to adapt to the new arrivals.

I agree, many immigrants are Anglophiles, but new immigrants have their own cultures, of which they are proud. They are not going to sacrifice them and become just as English as the English themselves. There is a clip from Sky News going around a Northern UK town and asking a local British woman (clad in burka) "What does being British mean to you?". To which she replied "I don't understand this?"

If Britain is going to continue to accept mass migration, and the rapid demographic shifts that comes with it, Britain is going to have to compromise itself to the point that British identity is meaningless and UK is simply a place to do business.
    The English identity is evolving. The result of this is that some people will feel left behind. Traditional policies of leaving them to it have been proven to foment festering pits of resentment which have allowed for the rise of UKIP/Trump and put the UK in a position where its own politicians are undermining checks and balances on government power.

Well, English identity always evolves and will continue to evolve. That is normal and organic. Culture and nationality is never fixed. But that is not what is happening in the UK.

British identity is being devolved so the barriers to entry are as low as possible so that literally anyone can arrive and declare themselves (in broken English) to be just as British as Admiral Nelson after they complete a government approved training course. In my view, this British identity is increasingly detached from English identity. They are two very different things these days.
    I'm old enough to remember the time when the right-wing tabloids had their sights trained firmly on the working and welfare classes. If you were poor, you were told to get a job. If it wasn't paying enough, you should go do a course at your own expense. Don't have the money? You should have made better life choices. Ditto for families living on the breadline, people claiming disability benefits, etc...

They still do have their sights trained on the working and welfare classes. I don't think they ever let up.
    When the Eastern nations acceded to the EU, newspaper editors realised that they could make more money by selling Xenophobia to the working classes instead of selling classism to the middle classes. Younger people are less likely to rely on traditional media for information so that market is already dry so there is no risk of alienating readers. If Brexit succeeds in cutting immigration levels and Mrs. May's hostile environment persuades the Muslims to leave then there's not a shread of doubt in my mind that they'll go back to bashing the lower classes once again. There needs to be a villain after all.

I think the working classes and the new immigrants would always have opposed interests. Again, if they wouldn't do the work the middle and upper classes would simply import people who would.
    I might check out that book. Sounds like it might be interesting.

It is. Its written by what I would describe as a disillusioned Labour member. He has a couple of points that are clearly his pet issues (Iraq war, constitutional reforms, etc) which he tries to link to Brexit and Trump, and his focus on Trump/US is clearly weaker. But he does have some very good insights.

I see it like this. We need young working age people to pay our pensions. A great side effect to the war on terror is loads of young families fleeing to their oppressors to pay the pensions of their oppressors. I think the U2 song bullet the blue sky touched on it in the 80s.
    We are plundering the Middle East for its labour force in a way. Mad really but what are the alternatives?

So how did that work out in Lebanon? Y'know the place they used to call "Paris of the East"? We are plundering the middle easts labour force? All them engineers and Doctors? I have seen their Doctors and they couldnt literally "Tell the difference between an Xray of an Knee and an ankle". 19 of 220 couldnt pass a basic english exam, we can keep our own doctors. As for engineers? Name one project going on in the middle east that isnt built with foreign labour? We have to send overseas aid of 560 million to pay for countries that tell us we are racist? After we send missionaries over with aid and medication? They tax our food with Halal. When will this madness end?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Conservatory

So how did that work out in Lebanon? Y'know the place they used to call "Paris of the East"? We are plundering the middle easts labour force? All them engineers and Doctors? I have seen their Doctors and they couldnt literally "Tell the difference between an Xray of an Knee and an ankle". 19 of 220 couldnt pass a basic english exam, we can keep our own doctors. As for engineers? Name one project going on in the middle east that isnt built with foreign labour? We have to send overseas aid of 560 million to pay for countries that tell us we are racist? After we send missionaries over with aid and medication? They tax our food with Halal. When will this madness end?

We can’t keep our own doctors or nurses or teachers they head abroad to better conditions according to many reports. We need low wage willing staff. Dry wallers cleaners garage workers shop staff. They are all here to be seen. It drives the wages down also. Diluting the labour market. Surely you don’t think we suddenly want to save all these peoples lives. We need a cheaper labour force to pay our pensions. What’s the problem with what religion they practice in their own home. Taxi drivers bus drivers, I heard a bus driver complaining the other day his hours were too hectic and he pulling 800 quid a week driving a bus. Not for long he won’t. We need multiculturalism to get them wages down and make our services more economical.

I'm not making the categorisation. The US government census and various other researchers are. They do so because they view the categorisation as useful. Stop trying to score virtue points, it is tiresome. I didn't create the categorisations, I did not impose them, I'm observing the trends they are reporting.

And skin colour does still seem to be an important factor in the ethnic identity politics in the US. Was Obama the 44th American President of the USA? I cant recall for sure, because all we were told was he was the 1st black President of the USA. This was why people should vote for him. To make history. World history, over something so meaningless? When a US police officer shoots a suspect, the skin colour of the officer and the victim are often considered extremely important to report. And so on.

All those German Protestants, Italian Catholics and Ukrainian Jews arrived at the US after the arrival of Africans to the US. Yes, there was strife. Yet all those groups are now categorised as White, and are broadly assimilated under the identity of white American because they were all broadly white European. They are all guilty of white privilege purely on the basis of skin colour.

Yet, the Africans who arrived before them never assimilated into white American identity despite having more time to do so. And going by contemporary US identity politics, Africans will never assimilate into white American identity. They have, and seemingly will continue to maintain, their own African American identity with all the division and strife that entails.

We can’t keep our own doctors or nurses or teachers they head abroad to better conditions according to many reports. We need low wage willing staff. Dry wallers cleaners garage workers shop staff. They are all here to be seen. It drives the wages down also. Diluting the labour market. Surely you don’t think we suddenly want to save all these peoples lives. We need a cheaper labour force to pay our pensions. What’s the problem with what religion they practice in their own home. Taxi drivers bus drivers, I heard a bus driver complaining the other day his hours were too hectic and he pulling 800 quid a week driving a bus. Not for long he won’t. We need multiculturalism to get them wages down and make our services more economical.

Good work aint cheap, cheap work aint good.

• Advertisement

oscarBravo wrote: »
    If you're going to claim that the xenophobia you're espousing - and yes, it's pretty much a dictionary definition of xenophobia - is simply a statement of objective fact, there's no possibility of a rational discussion on the topic.

If your only contribution is throwing out lazy pejoratives, then I agree.

Advertisement