Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Reasons To Be Cheerful

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Andrew93

Hi all, daily lurker and not much of a poster. Just felt like I needed to share this. I would like to say thank you to all of you who post daily into this Christmas forum as it is used as an escape from the awful year that I've struggled to deal with. Really looking forward to the build up this year and reading everyones posts makes my day.

Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭tscul32

This is a happy place and I'm glad it gave you some respite from a tough year.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭BK5

Hope your year gets better and better @Andrew93, stay positive and keep calling into the best thread on Boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,120 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Well, you've dipped your toe in now so welcome to the forum. No pressure to post but feel free to get involved, participation is always welcome here.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Advertisement

Sorry to hear you're having a bad time of it. Life can be really hard at times. Welcome to our happy little place on the internet, lots of positive and good vibes. Feel free to get involved or not, no pressure.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 11,995 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Lads! A bakery in a nearby town baked and sold mince pies yesterday - just for the craic. I only spotted it on Instagram last night with a reel they reshared that someone had taken with their mince pie...and they'd added 'It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas'. I was so not expecting that tune, I think my heart skipped a beat 😍 lol

Also on my walk the other night one of the houses in the village had a Merry Christmas doormat at the front door! I took a sneaky pic

Laptop going off, another week done!

End of summer BBQ at a friends house tomorrow and then getting kids ready for school on Sunday.

Have a good one guys.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Feel free to get involved with the festive chat, @Andrew93, although, as the others have said, no pressure to post if you don't want to. I'm sorry you've been having a rough year and hope things improve for you. xx

I see bake off is confirmed back on Tuesday September 13th on channel 4 at 8pm...

That cheered me up anyway. A good solid stepping stone to the run up IMO.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I hear you pal and I feel you. I stumbled across the Christmas forum when I was going through a really bad time in my life. The positivity and cheerfulness was exactly what I needed and to be honest I’ve never looked back.

My life went strength to strength since finding this place. It must be all the positive vibes from here that rubbed off on me. I know it’s a cliche but time is a great healer and I really wish you nothing but good times ahead!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭pigtail33

Brilliant, I love Bake Off, a definite sign that we're in the ber months.

I watch The Professionals one too, but find it a bit stressful to watch, I enjoy the more homely feel to the original one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Daisy78

It’s such a nice corner of the internet and boards specifically, isn’t it? Have had a few meh days myself and decided to check in here for a bit of cheer. It’s little things like this that can lift your day. Hopefully the second half of the year might bring better things.

At 119 days in the countdown we're less than 3 weeks from double digit day... where has this year gone?

Thank you all who reached out. Really means a lot when someone goes out of their way to help you in any way possible. I will certainly try to be more interactive rather than lurking. Really excited about the run in this year as I have an 18 month old elf who will be experiencing Christmas properly for the first time this coming year. 😄

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 11,995 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Oh great, I was wondering where it was. it usually starts in August doesn't it? Or am I mistaken? Anyway, I will be tuning in 😁

It shifted to September because of covid in 2020 (they werent sure it would even happen that year at the time) and has more or less stayed there for 2021 & now 2022. I kinda prefer the slightly later start as it finishes closer to Christmas (think the final will be Tues 22 Nov. this year based on last years format & number of episodes)

99 - 0 goes at crazy speed. Whereas Jan/Feb can last years! 😂

Looking forward to the spring bank holiday next year though, a little ray of sunshine at the end of a long January. 🙂

Forgot about that! First Monday in February, right?

• Advertisement

Yep- Well that's what my phone calendar is telling me anyway. 😁

Nice, definitely needed to break up the winter blues and New Years to Paddy's is far too long without a free day off!

OH informed me today she got an email about the Santa experience in Rathwood going on sale today so we have officially booked our first trip this Christmas for our little elf. Took advice from this forum and booked an evening slot when it is dark to get the best experience of the lights. Having done it last year when she was 9 months, excited to see how she takes it all in this time around.

Hoping to book ours today. Be good to have it in the calendar nice and early.

Seems like groundhog day! Another working week done and laptop about to go off. Weather turned a bit here so going to watch a movie with the kids.

Kids back to sports this week so footie in the morning and hockey on Sunday. Daddy taxi service back in business 😂

Have a good one guys.

You too @TRS30 ! Weather also looking a bit grim here for the evening so I can't imagine we'll do much more than cook dinner and watch a bit of tv

Camogie and football for us tomorrow, forecast looks wet and more wet so it's gonna be interesting!

The Mrs is having a night out tomorrow so myself and the kids are ordering in pizza and watching the nightmare before Christmas (their choice for both) which suits me just fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭BK5

Couple of pints with a friend this evening planned alright, going to a bit of painting today. With the weather taking a turn this weekend and we are now into September I have now started thinking about what jobs need doing inside the house before the decorations go up 😊

• Advertisement

Got the 'we need to start a list of house job' comment at breakfast yesterday morning! The OH writes the list and I end up doing all the jobs 😂

Advertisement