Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

General chat thread... Links, pictures, banter etc

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

So I just got a sweet little deal on adverts. I found a set of Ventura luggage very cheap. This is one of the best tailored/fitted luggage sets you can get but they are mad expensive. Each one is made specifically for your bike model. I got the whole set for my bike, and a Haynes manual, for €100! Sweet!

Jtw0X.jpg

However just after buying it I then realise there is a minor difference between the 04/05 and the 06/07 models, so my rails might not fit exactly so i may need to swap or something. Still I'm happy with the deal. Doing touring with proper luggage will be so much better now!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Snapped the key in my lock in work today, just after locking up the back wheel! :(

The snapped bit was still lodged in the lock so I managed to get a small screwdriver in and turn it. Now to buy another lock for work.

Might have to have a go on the new bike :D

13122284574_e9ce5497b4.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

Ya were lucky it worked out and ya didnt have to try cut the lock!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

RosieJoe wrote: »
    Snapped the key in my lock in work today, just after locking up the back wheel! :(

The snapped bit was still lodged in the lock so I managed to get a small screwdriver in and turn it. Now to buy another lock for work.

Might have to have a go on the new bike :D

13122284574_e9ce5497b4.jpg

Bet it takes CANDY FLOSS for petrol.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,998 ✭✭✭Wossack

looks like a sweet ride

>.>

• Advertisement

aaakev wrote: »
    Ya were lucky it worked out and ya didnt have to try cut the lock!

I had visions of needing to get an angle grinder or cutters at it!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

In London working last week, I visited BMW Park Lane and looked at the new bikes, so interesting comparison on an F800GT.

So, UK price, converted to €9849.
    RoI price is €11400

So, the difference is huge, at €1551, right ?

Actually, no. There's not VRT in UK, but there is here. VRT on that model is €1148.

Which means the actual difference is €403, vis-à-vis dealer, shipping etc.

It wouldn't pay you to drive to Dublin from here to save €403.

The VRT, otoh.................well, that's something you have to take up with Enda & Co: it's not dealers et al creaming it - at least they do something for your money.......

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭MonstaMash

BMW F800GT $11,890 full spec 2014 US prices...that's €8550, €2850 difference in price, makes you think :eek: :rolleyes:

galwaytt wrote: »
    In London working last week, I visited BMW Park Lane and looked at the new bikes, so interesting comparison on an F800GT.

So, UK price, converted to €9849.
    RoI price is €11400

So, the difference is huge, at €1551, right ?

Actually, no. There's not VRT in UK, but there is here. VRT on that model is €1148.

Which means the actual difference is €403, vis-à-vis dealer, shipping etc.

It wouldn't pay you to drive to Dublin from here to save €403.

The VRT, otoh.................well, that's something you have to take up with Enda & Co: it's not dealers et al creaming it - at least they do something for your money.......

I thought there's more to it than that. You can knock the UK VAT on it as the bike is being exported and then you need to add the Irish VAT on top. Then add VRT on top of the total figure

RosieJoe wrote: »
    I thought there's more to it than that. You can knock the UK VAT on it as the bike is being exported and then you need to add the Irish VAT on top. Then add VRT on top of the total figure

Not really - they have 20% we have 23% - hardly earth shattering.

Either way, it's the tax that's the issue.

@MonstaMash - does that include state taxes though ?

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Friend of mine works for BMW. He says that Motorrad runs at a loss - they do it for exposure and promotion etc. Mad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭MonstaMash

galwaytt wrote: »
    @MonstaMash - does that include state taxes though ?
    YES :eek:

Ehhhh, who wants a BMW anyway. More buttons on them things then Cadburys. Should come with instruction manuals to wave as standard!

:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Ehhhh, who wants a BMW anyway. More buttons on them things then Cadburys. Should come with instruction manuals to wave as standard!

:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

Lol, you'll love this pic so, taken last Friday in London.........you'd need an extra pair of hands ! :pac:

298528.jpg

Btw - if anyone knows where I could source thosen (blue & red) switches, I'd appreciate it - I do have a requirement to add some stuff to a few bikes here, but quality waterproof switches are hard to come by.

Ode To The Motorist

Looks like an emergency services bike tbh....had similar on a kwacker I was on at the NEC bike show.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,084 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Decided to bite the bullet and give my bikes a proper home.

photo_zps8f65e127.jpg

blade1 wrote: »

photo_zps8f65e127.jpg

Might need a roof on that fella.....:pac::pac:

Might need a roof on that fella.....:pac::pac:

Nah,weather's grand now shur!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Mr Sheen!

photo_zps8f65e127.jpg

Nice looking into one myself at the moment! What size is that?

4m x 7m

• Advertisement

A lot bigger than I would be getting as I will just have the one bike in it and sure I am only renting at the moment? Is that insulated on the inside?? I heard that you can get a fair bit of condensation on the metal?? What type of door are you gonna go for??

leppla wrote: »
    A lot bigger than I would be getting as I will just have the one bike in it and sure I am only renting at the moment? Is that insulated on the inside?? I heard that you can get a fair bit of condensation on the metal?? What type of door are you gonna go for??

Non drip roof and walls.
    I said I might as well make it big enough while I was at it.
    There'll be a couple of bikes going in it.
    I also wanted to be able to work on my car in it.
    Roller door on it.

Non drip roof and walls.
    I said I might as well make it big enough while I was at it.
    There'll be a couple of bikes going in it.
    I also wanted to be able to work on my car in it.
    Roller door on it.

Happy days. Ya wont know yourself with all that space. Couch down the back and a fridge for the beers :D:D
    Best of look with it.

Happy days. Ya wont know yourself with all that space. Couch down the back and a fridge for the beers :D:D
    Best of look with it.

Haha, thinking the same myself!
    Even thinking of putting a stove in it, not sure if that safe to do though!
    Hopefully it will be finished tomorrow.

Then next week, I must put down a concrete ramp and dig a trench for cables for sockets and lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

Propper man cave! A stove would be a great idea, plenty of ŕoom to keep the bikes away from it

aaakev wrote: »
    Propper man cave! A stove would be a great idea, plenty of ŕoom to keep the bikes away from it
    I know, if I put a stove in, I'll have to build another shed for the bikes:pac:

Best of look with it.

Couch!!!! Fook that the missus will be in, bar stool and a dirty calender on the wall. SORTED.

Couch!!!! Fook that the missus will be in, bar stool and a dirty calender on the wall. SORTED.

What she don't know, won't hurt her..:pac:

Haha, thinking the same myself!
    Even thinking of putting a stove in it, not sure if that safe to do though!
    Hopefully it will be finished tomorrow.

Then next week, I must put down a concrete ramp and dig a trench for cables for sockets and lights.

Don't do a stove. Seriously. Petrol fumes and stoves don't go together. .....

And make sure you insure it as well.

Ode To The Motorist

• Advertisement

What she don't know, won't hurt her..:pac:

What she blind as a bat....not to see a 4x7m command centre. If you have it off side somewhere nice then happy days. ;)

Advertisement