Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Motorcycle FAQ

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

Bikeworld website??? waste of time, that used bike price list is at least 9 months old, like a lot of companies they have a web site but don't bother to look at it or update it, what a waste of time

a_ominous wrote:
    Well since I suggested it, I'll start the ball rolling.

Licence
    You need a licence to ride a bike. Here for some details.

Insurance
    In Ireland, there are only 2 motorbike insurers, Hibernian and Carole Nash. If you're under 25, you can try Carole Nash but they generally only insure over 25s on bikes obver 250cc. You can get online quotes from Hibernian but only phone quotes from CN.

There are some brokers who deal with motorbike insurance. AON is the largest. They deal with Hibernian and offer discounts on the Hibernian price. Some of the bike shops can also sort your insurnace out. They have a deal with AON. Some examples of these bike shops:
    Cotters
    Bikeworld

There are 3 types of insurance:
    Third Party (TP) - you pay for damages to you and your bike
    Third Party, Fire and Theft. As above but also covers for fire and theft, strangely.
    Fully Comprehensive. As above but also includes cover for damage to you and your bike.

Bikes are assigned a grouping by insurers. This is based on the power to weight ratio of the bike. So for example a 50cc 10 BHP scooter is group 1 and a 1300cc 150BHP sports bike would be group 12, and more expensive to insure. The differences between groups is small for riders over 40. A table of the prices is not available online at the moment.

Lessons
    There are various places to learn to ride a bike. Irish School of Motoring (ISM) will provide bikes. As will the Star Rider courses run by Fingal and I believe South Dublin Co Council. These are not year round courses though. And there is a long waiting list for school bikes. Most independent trainers (Irish Rider Training Association IRTA) do not have bikes due to prohibitive insurance costs. This may change with driver instructor certification due in 2004.

Some URLs:
    So you want to drive
    Cotters
    Bikeworld
    Easy rider training good information
    on bikes and training.
    Irish rider training
    Motorcycle news there reviews of bikes and gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭steedevaney

Hi all. I've just gotten a moped so I'm real new to the two wheel thing. Just wondering if any one would know why the engine doesn't seem to idle if I stop during the first mile or so after that it runs fine. It can also be difficult to start and usually has to be kicked started. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,820 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Sounds like you're not using the choke (if it has a manual choke) is the problem worse on a cooler day than a warmer one? Or, if there is an automatic choke, it's not working right.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

...anyone done this? If so, please tell me where from, how much, what kind of bike did you get, etc.

Also, is there a demand for this service - trying to twist someone's arm in Galway to do this at the mo'............

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 14,016 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I got a bike from ISM for my test. It was a cb250 and it was €130 for 2 hours including a 1hr pre test...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 1,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Slaanesh

tk123 wrote:
    I got a bike from ISM for my test. It was a cb250 and it was €130 for 2 hours including a 1hr pre test...

If you are not doing your test in Dublin, I am having mine in Navan, they charge 90 euro extra. 45 to bring the bike to Navan and 45 to bring it back.

My friend is getting a restricted bandit so I'm going to see if it would be cheaper to get insured on that for the week. The CB250 is a grand bike to drive though, had a lesson recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 BRUNO.22

Ism I Got A Couple Of Lessons With Them To Get Used To The Cb250.worst Bunch Of Ginits I Ever Dealt With...the Instructor Was Out In A Casual Leather Jacket And A Pair Of Slacks..what An Example He's Setting.plus My Pre Test Was Both Of Us Driving In And Out Of Traffic To Get Me To The Test Centre On Time After We Pulled In To Put Air In The Tyres Of The Test Bike.......irta All The Way!!!

The 2 guys I had - Joe and Steven were really good but they seem to have a high turnaround of staff in there - the ones I had last year for my first test are all gone!!

Is One Of Them A Scottish Fella Or From The North...he's Supposed To Be Good.drives A Bmw

Yeah Joe drives the BMW and Steven drives a Varedaro(i think).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭cutepape

Going from Zero to a Full license in 5 lessons with Joe (He drives a lightgreen / yellowish BMW GS1150) was as simple as putting butter on a toast.
    Steven has a Varadero and seems to be in the same class as Joe.
    If you are willing to listen n learn.. they will make sure you know everything to pass your test. Thats my personal impression.
    3 of my mates have done the same thing.. a week of lessons with Joe and then the test. They also passed.

If you go ISM... go with joe or steven.

As Bruno.22 mentioned... I've listen a little to one of the other instructors when I was waiting for my lesson, oh man.. he didn't even care, casual clothing, came on on the schools bike every day etc...

I Also Forgot To Mention That They Start You Off On A Gravel Car Park...any Bikers Nightmare..hellllllooooo....

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Steven in ISM is an IRTA instructor too, gave me some great advice before my test, really helped me relax about the whole thing.

he bought be a sandwich to try and get me to relax when I was all nervous! lol! :v:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

tk123 wrote:
    he bought be a sandwich to try and get me to relax when I was all nervous! lol! :v:
    to try to get you to relax eh??

:)

I was really nervous and hadn't eaten anything! I think he was worried I'd pass out halfway thru the test!! :D Anyhoos if anyone is looking for some nice eats in churchtown theres this pub across the road from the test centre car park! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8 delboy_53

a tip for anyone buying gear .. no vat on lids in the uk so on to the web and buy from there, after figuring out the size of noggin down in you local kit store....also the uk is a much more competive market so prices on kit in general ar much better, I managed to save €120 euro on my chosen lid from harpers ... had good dealings with them ie.. i get me stuff

el D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

I've just had a good look at the OP and the linkies from there, but I need a clarification, please: can I just apply for a first 'bike' provisional license, without any mention of my FR (car) license, i.e. by just submitting my FR passport as ID? (and obviously doing the theory test and all that - btw, any signs in Irish in the test?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 67coley67

if they keep snapping ,maybe the cable is badly routed or it may be from a similar bike/model but could be 50mm shorter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭smoc

For those of you who dont already know...

Quinn Direct doing EXTREMELY CHEAP INSURANCE NOW!!!!

My insurance went from 1909 last year to 491 this year for the same bike. Only difference was i had an extra 1 years no claims.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Ref. Insurance you could try Adelaide insurance on www.Bikequoteme.com online for UK only and as far as I know the phone number for Ireland is a UK number so beware long calls.

Ref. renting a bike for your test Naas SoM supply bikes for lessons and test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭jaycen

Kat1170 wrote: »
    Ref. Insurance you could try Adelaide insurance on www.Bikequoteme.com online for UK only and as far as I know the phone number for Ireland is a UK number so beware long calls.

Ref. renting a bike for your test Naas SoM supply bikes for lessons and test.

www.bikequoteme.com is available in ROI now. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

I'd just like to point out that the link in the first post for ISM, points to ISM.com instead of ISM.ie

ISM.com = International Systems Marketing, Inc.
    ISM.ie = Irish School of Motoring

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 eiji-the-second

heya.
    just wondering if i'll get insured on my 70's honda 50 when i'm 16 and only have provisional... i do have a 92 honda 50 but wiuld like to ride the 70's one

• Registered Users Posts: 33,820 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Carole Nash do classic insurance, on bikes over 250cc and you have to be over 21 and maybe even then have a full licence.

You can get a quote (from Aon, Quinn or Adelaide) on the 50, sure anyone can get a quote on anything, if they're licenced for it.. but it will be the same as a modern 50. At age 16, not cheap :( You could try taking lessons and passing the test (on a hire bike) and at age 17 or 18 with a full licence you should get a more reasonable quote.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Lilliput69

Classic insurance with Carol Nash is for over 25's with a full licence for bikes over 15 yrs old, you can have mutiply bikes on hte classic policy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭jaycen

Lilliput69 wrote: »
    Classic insurance with Carol Nash is for over 25's with a full licence for bikes over 15 yrs old, you can have mutiply bikes on hte classic policy

And 2 years NCB from what I understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭DePurpereWolf

I'm going to ask a really stupid question now.

If I have a full licence, I don't have to get an A-licence or an A1-licence?

I can just add it to it?

btw, I have a Dutch full licence, which I plan to exchange for an Irish one. I just want to know what it'll get me.

I can't even drive a moped on my full driver's licence in NL. :rolleyes:

I'm going to ask a really stupid question now.

If I have a full licence, I don't have to get an A-licence or an A1-licence?

I can just add it to it?

btw, I have a Dutch full licence, which I plan to exchange for an Irish one. I just want to know what it'll get me.

I can't even drive a moped on my full driver's licence in NL. :rolleyes:

you have to do either the A or A1 test (do A) and once you pass it gets added to your current license.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭DePurpereWolf

I see here I can drive a <50CC moped under an M licence.

Woohee. :cool:
    The ‘M’ Learner Permit is strictly for mopeds, or engine-assisted bicycles, under 50cc with a top speed of below 45kmp /28mph and is available from 16. The holders of a full ‘B’ licence, with additional insurance, can also drive mopeds.

http://www.msa-ireland.com/licenses.htm#drivingtest

Advertisement