Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

BMW want €3500 to supply and fit a tow bar

Options
  • 18-01-2021 11:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭

..to a 5 year old 520.

Seems a bit mad. I’m guessing they’re taking the piss?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

No, they just dont want to do it.

I'm all for using main dealers but not for stuff like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭comerla

Makes sense. We’d found the reasonable with most things so now suddenly it seems obvious now that you mention it.

Thanks for the two cents!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,113 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

What's nearly as mad is that you went and asked them for a price to fit a tow bar on a 5 year old car. :D

Just starting to dol my research on it! I never knew there was such a thing as a tow bar fitter..

• Registered Users Posts: 51,113 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Yep, lots of them around and they will be significantly cheaper too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭jamfer

I've never paid more than €400 to get a tow bar fitted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭Wailin

Malcolms towbars in dublin. Did my old f10 with a detachable swan neck towbar so it can be easily removed when not in use. Cost around €500.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 46 vurstflavor

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Wailin wrote: »
    Malcolms towbars in dublin. Did my old f10 with a detachable swan neck towbar so it can be easily removed when not in use. Cost around €500.

Same as Wailin.

€3500?! Must be a fully electric retractable at that price.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

It's a grand to have one added when ordering from the factory (an X3 at least). I'd imagine there's a lot more work having to retrofit the same one to an existing car, which probably contributes to the the "PFO" quote.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

€3,500 - Did that include the lube so you could have a sit and think afterwards????

• Registered Users Posts: 5,040 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Don't know where you're located, but if in cork. I've used these guys a few times.

Never had a problem, and find them well priced.

http://www.murraytowbars.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭NoBread

With the 520d, the BMW factory recommendation is that you upgrade the radiator fan when fitting a towbar to assist cooling. Standard fan is 400W, the recommended one with the towbar is 600W.
    If you're going to be towing a caravan, probably wise to do that work. If only something light, then I wouldn't bother.
    Either way, I'd avoid main dealer for that work. But something to consider.
    Also - there are plenty of guther's out there that will "fit" a towbar, so choose carefully! Take recommendations from someone who is mechanically minded, most people only look at the car before, see no towbar, drop it to man x - pay him as little as possible, see car after - towbar! Great, I'll recommend man x highly... he's great.
    They'd have no clue as to the quality of work done.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭kirving

Was it a bare minimum for a bike rack, or electric folding option, with wiring installation and upgrade of fan as NoBread mentioned?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

i assume its so someone can tow the beemer ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

NoBread wrote: »
    With the 520d, the BMW factory recommendation is that you upgrade the radiator fan when fitting a towbar to assist cooling. Standard fan is 400W, the recommended one with the towbar is 600W.
    If you're going to be towing a caravan, probably wise to do that work. If only something light, then I wouldn't bother.
    Also - there are plenty of guther's out there that will "fit" a towbar, so choose carefully! Take recommendations from someone who is mechanically minded, most people only look at the car before, see no towbar, drop it to man x - pay him as little as possible, see car after - towbar! Great, I'll recommend man x highly... he's great.

That's just chancing their arm, fan will hardly ever cut in unless you are trying to pull a full cow trailer up a steep incline

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

NoBread wrote: »

Main dealers rarely fit towbars themselves, they'll have an agreement with a nearby quick fitting outfit to farm the work out, handy money charging full MD rates to the customer

I got a quote today for 395/ 595 for non-detachable/ detachable options by a crowd that look to be ok.

This will be for a bike rack.

Thanks all for the comments.

Advertisement