Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Chat 2020/21

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,342 ✭✭✭Shedite27

patmac wrote: »
    6 of the last 7 weekly top scorers have been defenders (McTominay being the other). Time for 5 at the back?

Yes, with the awful options up front, I definitely am moving funds to the back slowly but surely. Currently have Robertson, Cancelo and Stones, would like to add Chilwell, Tierney, Regulion, Digne etc

• Registered Users Posts: 6,083 ✭✭✭Chesty08

AdpRo wrote: »
    I think it's fine to be happy a clean sheet for a rival went, that's part of the game. However there were a couple of posts in last weeks matchday thread that have no place on this forum.

I was surprised no cards were issued for them and I certainly wouldn't want these to become the norm around here.

I think that Cancelo one was me & it was tongue n cheek cause I love him as a player!

Shouldn’t of used that adjective!

Hands up if it was me. I won’t post that again.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,131 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Ace2007 wrote: »
    I think too many people are results based in their thinking though - Salah could go out and score a hattrick next GW - but that doesn't change the fact that Liverpool have shown little or nothing in the last 4 games.

The crux of the game is to have the right players at the right time. Holding Salah, Sterling etc for the season because they will come good isn't always the best strategy - because you end up holding them longer than you should for FOMO.

Can't argue with this I held on to Sterling for ages based on fixtures. They looked amazing. Then gradually went more template according to live fpl. Got in Fernades for Salah gw18 fixtures and form. Then got rid of Sterling for Salah g19 as a blocker really as I could see Liverpool were not going to do much scoring v Man U and Burnley yet I got him just in case.

I agree with you on the midfielders v defenders thing as well. As people are always drawn towards the midfielders as they could score big. But defenders who have a run of clean sheets can do just as well as that midfielder scoring big once every 5-7 gameweeks.

The secret in a good fpl consistent player is spotting the trends and value and not being afraid to transfer any player out for long term gains. I had no balls to leave Salah out (wanted rid of Sterling in fairness he annoyed me). It is what separates the solid consistent fpl players to the 'all over the place' players like me. I might get lucky the odd season, but I have zero consistency or strategy.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,549 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

Moyes on Antonio
    Adding a striker remains the focus for Moyes, who is looking to ease the burden on Antonio who has struggled with hamstrings problems since October.

The 30-year-old scored the winner against the Clarets at the weekend, his first goal in five games during three injury-disrupted months.

He is now set to play in his third game in eight days when the Hammers entertain West Bromwich Albion on Tuesday.

"I don't think he is at full tilt at the moment, I think he is doing well, but I know there are another couple of gears for him to go into," Moyes said.

"I think he is protecting himself slightly at the minute, but he is an important part of the team for us, as you saw with his goal on Saturday.

"He got us the result, so we have got to be careful with him, but we also want to win games and we want to keep moving forward, so we will try and get Micky ready for the game."

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/55710396

• Registered Users Posts: 32,598 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Think he will start tomorrow, purely because it’s fa cup at the weekend and he probably won’t play that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42,078 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

So we will try and get Micky ready for the game.

Jeez, steady on there Moyesy.

Amazing how one decision leads on to a different path each new gameweek and different points in fpl.

In gw18 I was thinking of doing -12 and getting Kane, Saka and another city defender likely dias - not stones,

And getting rid of Watkins, Sterling and Roberston

But I did not.

Gw 18 Sterling -1, Kane scores, City clean sheet.

Gw 19 lose patience with Sterling and bring in Salah as a blocker, had money in bank.
    It wasn't because I thought Salah would do well it was just in case he did.

Gw 19 Kane scores again, Saka scores, Salah nothing and Sterling scores.

One bad decision seems to lead on to the next, after a wrong choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

The guy above me took me a big hit this week. -16 of a hit. Is it only at the conclusion of the gam week this is reflected or is it worked in at the first time the table is update mid game week? Thanks lads

The guy above me took me a big hit this week. -16 of a hit. Is it only at the conclusion of the gam week this is reflected or is it worked in at the first time the table is update mid game week? Thanks lads

First time. So it’s already been reflected.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

CSF wrote: »
    First time. So it’s already been reflected.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭thunderdog

When does Grealish move from the 5 to 10 yellow card limit for a ban? Is it after GW19 or after he has played 19 games?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭thunderdog

When does Grealish move from the 5 to 10 yellow card limit for a ban? Is it after GW19 or after he has played 19 games?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭munster87

thunderdog wrote: »

19 games

• Registered Users Posts: 14,824 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

thunderdog wrote: »

When Aston Villa have played 19 games iirc.

Fitz* wrote: »
    When Aston Villa have played 19 games iirc.

Yup, as it’s currently scheduled it would be after the Southampton game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

I have always used the 60 point mark as my base weekly score metric anything above that is HEWT and below is a bad week.

For double gameweeks and weeks where I use a chip I work off the 100 benchmark.

Hitting those kind of numbers consistently should give a high rank but it's not easy to do.

11/19 on that target so far this season

What do you use as your weekly metric or target

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

I don't really care what the points tally is. These days top million gameweek rank I'm pretty happy with that. Generally so long as its a green arrow or a marginal red happy enough keeping it ticking over like that assuming that at some point I'll pull out a few good weeks and getting a nice rank jump. 60 points one week is amazing and the next week everyone is getting that sort of score not a great way to judge what a good or bad week is in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Agree it doesn't give a good indication each week of whether it's good or bad based on other players points but over a season it can be a good benchmark

kilburn wrote: »
    Agree it doesn't give a good indication each week of whether it's good or bad based on other players points but over a season it can be a good benchmark

I think you can beat yourself up or it's this type of thinking that people moan about getting only 42, when the average is 30 something - they get caught up in the numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,330 ✭✭✭✭siblers

I always base it off the average but if I don't get a 100 this gameweek I'll be fairly annoyed, even if it a 100 is above the average

• Advertisement

siblers wrote: »
    I always base it off the average but if I don't get a 100 this gameweek I'll be fairly annoyed, even if it a 100 is above the average

Top 10 average is currently 83.77. Overall is 60.95

Top 10 average is currently 83.77. Overall is 60.95

I want my 100 points!

Aguero has tested positive for COVID.

Not sure how much it will affect Man City as he seems to have been isolating for the last week or so anyways. I think he was a close contact of a positive case, maybe a family member.

I have always used the 60 point mark as my base weekly score metric anything above that is HEWT and below is a bad week.

For double gameweeks and weeks where I use a chip I work off the 100 benchmark.

Hitting those kind of numbers consistently should give a high rank but it's not easy to do.

11/19 on that target so far this season

What do you use as your weekly metric or target

I don't judge it on that at all it is a false positive. I judge a great week as about 10-15 points above the top 10k gameweek score. And about 30 above average on a normal gameweek.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Benchmarking a season and a week are very different. Still doesn't take into account that even a season is a relatively small sample size and how good 2280 is changes from season to season. My point scoring has been weirdly consistent over the years but the ranks have been all over the place.

Over a 6 year period I ended up scoring between 2215 and 2227 four times but the ranks went from 9.5k to 220k and the best rank was the year I got 2215 and the worst rank was the year I got 2227 bizarrely!

You can only judge each week and each season against everyone else not a set score.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Brian201888

Have used my free hit, is it suicide to use the wildcard now to try and arrest a slide? Falling way behind in my money leagues but conscious that the wildcard might be essential for setting up for blank/doubles near the end?

Have used my free hit, is it suicide to use the wildcard now to try and arrest a slide? Falling way behind in my money leagues but conscious that the wildcard might be essential for setting up for blank/doubles near the end?
    Yeah, I would try and transfer your way out of this one gradually and keep the wildcard. One of the common mistakes people make in this game, is thinking they need to use things now, ignoring whether or not it is likely they will need them more later.

Wildcarding because a couple of guys are out or off form, is a bad idea. You can make 3 changes with an 8 point hit like and make huge changes that way. If your team is a general trainwreck, different story.

The worst decision I've made this season was wildcarding too early, when I didn't need to. Took me a few weeks to get back into the game as I bought all the wrong players, and sold the likes of Son at the start of his massive run.

That Bruno assist cost me a H2H and gave the league leader in my main league an extra 9 points. I'm still bitter over it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

The cup has a nice global feel, especially in these lockdown times.

Opponents to date from:

Thailand
    Ghana
    Australia ( this will be a tough one, looking at his team).

Advertisement