Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Virgin Media Television thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭Maz2016

Elmo wrote: »
    Also Park didn't do so well this year in Ireland now having left the country, and I think some people are out of pocket.

Go to your post office, and open a post office savings deposit account.

I don’t get why anyone uses these companies. As you say , post office or credit union etc. I saw last night virgin media had an ad showing their spring 2021 line up. It was kept low key. I didn’t see the full ad but gogglebox etc was on it

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

We might talk about television, please. I’m sure there’s somewhere else on Boards where personal finance can be discussed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,989 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Maz2016 wrote: »
    I don’t get why anyone uses these companies. As you say , post office or credit union etc. I saw last night virgin media had an ad showing their spring 2021 line up. It was kept low key. I didn’t see the full ad but gogglebox etc was on it

Yes, there was a very low-key press release last week. Low-key as it doesn't contain much. Sounds like Gogglebox will be the 2 or 3 specials like they did last year.

One of a few press releases:
    http://www.iftn.ie/news/?act1=record&only=1&aid=73&rid=4293797&tpl=archnews&force=1

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tomwaits48

icdg wrote: »
    We might talk about television, please. I’m sure there’s somewhere else on Boards where personal finance can be discussed

You are killing this forum with your constant, petty, interruptions. Give it a break.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

tomwaits48 banned for 48 hours, there is no on thread discussion of any mod intervention

• Advertisement

iseegirls wrote: »
    Yes, there was a very low-key press release last week. Low-key as it doesn't contain much. Sounds like Gogglebox will be the 2 or 3 specials like they did last year.

One of a few press releases:
    http://www.iftn.ie/news/?act1=record&only=1&aid=73&rid=4293797&tpl=archnews&force=1

Thanks for this. Not great. Nothing really stands out. As you say , doesn’t contain much

• Registered Users Posts: 8,300 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Ten Pin wrote: »
    Starts next Sunday, 24th Jan, 9:30 on RTE 1

Quiz is up in RTÉ One's spotlight section of the Saorview app.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭twinklerunner

Why is VM1’s d.o.g. so far in on the screen?

Why is VM1’s d.o.g. so far in on the screen?

Oh, it’s because ITV has the word LIVE on screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Oh, it’s because ITV has the word LIVE on screen.

Surely they could get that removed from their broadcast, their DOG/BUG had been over LIVE the previous week, on SD version of the channel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Leonita

Did I hear Simon Delaney mention that we could watch the Chasers trip on ITV hub? It was on Ireland Am over the weekend after they interviewed Shaun Wallace? Can't remember which day as I had the tv on in the background while doing other things.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,251 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Elmo wrote: »
    Surely they could get that removed from their broadcast, their DOG/BUG had been over LIVE the previous week, on SD version of the channel.

To repeat something I have said here multiple times. They are a garbage channel who do as little as possible, so don't be surprised at even these little annoyances...

Leonita wrote: »
    Did I hear Simon Delaney mention that we could watch the Chasers trip on ITV hub? It was on Ireland Am over the weekend after they interviewed Shaun Wallace? Can't remember which day as I had the tv on in the background while doing other things.

The clip even has Thursdays at 9pm on ITV. Then a clip of The Chase with Virgin Media ONE weekdays at 2pm.

And Simon finish by saying the time on ITV and that you can go to the ITV Hub.

I don't think the Hub is available in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭lertsnim

So Virgin Media had someone on promoting a show that is shown on a channel not available here (officially) and then said viewers could watch it on a geoblocked catchup service?

Farcical really.

Great work by them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

dulpit wrote: »
    To repeat something I have said here multiple times. They are a garbage channel who do as little as possible, so don't be surprised at even these little annoyances...

The SD version of Virgin Media Three has the HD DOG/logo on their TV boxes :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Leonita

Im glad other people heard him going on about it. Unless there are plans for ITV hub to be launched here in the very near future it was very sloppy for a presenter to talk about it. They are a bit of a joke with all of these repeats etc on over and over again. And to make it worse they don't broadcast some soaps at the same time as ITV especially 2nd half of eg Emmerdale. I wonder is that something to do with the news people who don't seem to want to work at all judging by the lack of it over the Christmas holidays. When I was leaving sky last year I told them it's because we can't get ITVs and channel 5s here. The rep said it was because virgin don't want the ITVs on Irish schedules. Talk about having your cake and eating it. They really should be shut down and let ITV be shown here as they are a right crowd of jokers.

Rant over lol

Messy screen this morning. Such amateurs.

Leonita wrote: »
    And to make it worse they don't broadcast some soaps at the same time as ITV especially 2nd half of eg Emmerdale.

I think during COVID they choose to keep the 8:30 slot for Coro St while ITV choose the traditional 7:30 meaning Virgin Media one was an hour behind ITV.

TBH the 8pm News goes out Monday to Friday and the choose to move it the Thursday night edition of Emmerdale to 8:30 following the news. I suppose their audience hasn't been effected by it.

Otherwise they are on the same schedule for the soaps.

As I said if UTV Ireland had done all of this it would be wall to wall across the media.

Friday night Coronation Street is the one that's moved on VM1 in the past few weeks. On ITV they've merged the 2 episodes to an hour now, starting at 7.30. VM1 have instead put their "News At 8" to start at 7.30, and have Corrie at 8. So they are a half an hour behind.

Only reason I can presume is that they want the high audience from Corrie leading into their 9pm shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭thesultan

Elaine Crowley is looking well lately..

• Advertisement

VM1 showing HD in its DOG on VM1 SD.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

Same on the Saorview feed. No doubt it was put there on purpose

They often do that. Vm3 had it during the week as well

I see that on VM1 today during the horse racing a banner came up detailing all the live sport coming up on ITV and ITV4. Could they not have put up their own banner at the time?

I guess the viewers are used to that, with plenty of programmes being promoted on This Morning that VMTV subscribers would have no access to.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Dindane

iseegirls wrote: »
    I see that on VM1 today during the horse racing a banner came up detailing all the live sport coming up on ITV and ITV4. Could they not have put up their own banner at the time?

I guess the viewers are used to that, with plenty of programmes being promoted on This Morning that VMTV subscribers would have no access to.

It's no different to the promo material put up by CBS/FOX/NBC on NFL coverage carried by Sky.

Overseas channels taking it won't know it's coming up and I'm certain most (or almost all viewers) won't mind or care.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Delta2113

In theory Itv could give Virgin the heads up in advance about when banners will pop up etc. but then Virgin may need to employ an extra person that afternoon or whatever.

It's not worth the hassle and with a clean feed you would be missing so much racing info. again you might need more employees in Virgin to do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,300 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Finding Jack Charlton will premiere on Sunday 28th March on VM1.

Finding Jack Charlton will premiere on Sunday 28th March on VM1.

-Would highly recommend if you haven't seen it.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Dindane

Delta2113 wrote: »
    In theory Itv could give Virgin the heads up in advance about when banners will pop up etc. but then Virgin may need to employ an extra person that afternoon or whatever.

It's not worth the hassle and with a clean feed you would be missing so much racing info. again you might need more employees in Virgin to do this.

RTE and Setanta used to cross back to studio a lot during their live coverage of Cheltenham, but not sure how many people would have thanked them for that.

They often would have been linking to interviews with Irish personalities done by C4 (and pre-95, BBC) that were missed live at the time as... they were linking in studio.

See also RTE and athletics.

If there's major on-site coverage being presented by the host broadcaster, I'd rather watch that in its entirety. Even Virgin using their own intro and break bumpers annoy me (and RTE used to do the same)

• Advertisement

Yes Personally If I could have Utv back on Virgin would be great but it will never happen.

Advertisement