Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Luas upgrade to 55m

12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

tabbey wrote: »
    Tram 5040 was delivered on Friday.
    I saw it yesterday a in Sandyford depot attached to some cute yellow little shunting engine.:cool:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

zom wrote: »
    I saw it yesterday a in Sandyford depot attached to some cute yellow little shunting engine.:cool:

That'd be a Unilok; Irish built.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

L1011 wrote: »
    That'd be a Unilok; Irish built.

They used have a factory in Galway, but that was a long time ago.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

They used have a factory in Galway, but that was a long time ago.

They're still made in Tuam unless something major has changed.

5025 has been prepared for extension next week.

• Advertisement

Tram 5041 was delivered early today.

This completes the current order for new 55 metre trams.

Two more earlier trams remain to be extended.

Tram 5024 is being prepared for extension.

That leaves just one short 50xx tram in service - 5026.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Kevtherev1

Any further updates to this thread. Have the final two 50xx trams been extended to 55 metres.

Kevtherev1 wrote: »
    Any further updates to this thread. Have the final two 50xx trams been extended to 55 metres.

5024 was extended last week, a week later than intended, due to pressure of work in sandyford depot.
    5026 was the last short tram running in public service last week. There was a ceremonial photo taken of, I think, 5026, with technical staff, outside the shed, presumably to mark the end of an era. I expect 5026 to get its extra two modules next week, but only time will tell.

Kevtherev1 wrote: »

Further to above post, 5026 is still in public service, just saw it at 1800.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,234 ✭✭✭✭Victor

So, what is the current fleet, where and is there anything due?

Victor wrote: »
    So, what is the current fleet, where and is there anything due?

I wonder more what with the old fleet? Will old 4000s and 3000s be modernized or replaced, as now there is even bigger contrast between green and red line in terms of capacity and utilization.

It would be challenging to lengthen Red Line platforms at a few locations - staying in the city there's Busaras where it doesn't even have a ramp on one end due to Talbot Place, the entire Point extension has entrances or roads causing trouble, Heuston, James's where you'd not be able to go to 55m platforms.

I'd expect that at some stage they will need to order 43m (or whatever the longest is practical with doors spaced for 40m platforms - the 5000s were 43). Alstom support lifespan for a Citadis tram is 30 years, the first tram was delivered 18 years ago (I think - I believe the demo unit from 2001 was not one we actually use but could easily be wrong - it did have the real 4001 fleet number so maybe) and entered service 17 years ago so there's a fair bit of time left.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

I'd expect that at some stage they will need to order 43m (or whatever the longest is practical with doors spaced for 40m platforms - the 5000s were 43). Alstom support lifespan for a Citadis tram is 30 years, the first tram was delivered 18 years ago (I think - I believe the demo unit from 2001 was not one we actually use but could easily be wrong - it did have the real 4001 fleet number so maybe) and entered service 17 years ago so there's a fair bit of time left.

Would they not be due up for a half life refurb similar to what the 8100 DARTs got? Even though they are older sets they still feel quite modern the only real noticeable difference between them for the passenger internally is the older trams are not lowfloor throughout.

I'm surprised though they haven't had they're displays updated to LED probably nitpicking here but I think the dot matrix destination displays at the front and rear look of the 3000 and 4000 trams look very outdated.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

5024 was extended last week, a week later than intended, due to pressure of work in sandyford depot.
    5026 was the last short tram running in public service last week. There was a ceremonial photo taken of, I think, 5026, with technical staff, outside the shed, presumably to mark the end of an era. I expect 5026 to get its extra two modules next week, but only time will tell.

How long does the process to add in the modules take overall?

How long does the process to add in the modules take overall?

They arrive on Monday morning in Rosslare about 0815. They are last off the ferry and then spend some time checking everything is secured, tightening ratchets etc. They then head up the N11, but the speed is limited, so take the best part of two hours, arriving sandyford after 1100.
    The transport company crew might need to rest for a while before undoing the multitude of bolts, clamps etc then winch it down the ramp to the siding from where the unilok shunts it to the yard, or recently to the shed. At the height of the covid pandemic, the modules had to wait outside for a couple of days until they were sanitised, the French strain of the virus must have been more virulent than ours, but now that is not a problem.
    Meanwhile work on the tram to be extended, would have started before the weekend, removing the vanity sides at roof level to facilitate the electrical connection being separated.
    They usually spend a couple of days in the shed, physically joining up the tram, but then the real delay starts, sitting in the yard while testing is conducted, typically about two weeks, sometimes more. I seem to think it used be quicker, but now there are so many trams available that there is no need for urgency, especially during the pandemic. That's my perception, I may be mistaken.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

It would be challenging to lengthen Red Line platforms at a few locations - staying in the city there's Busaras where it doesn't even have a ramp on one end due to Talbot Place, the entire Point extension has entrances or roads causing trouble, Heuston, James's where you'd not be able to go to 55m platforms.

Interestingly looking at all of those platforms on Google maps and without getting into the details of track curves, it looks like you could extend most of those platforms to 45 meters, though 55m would probably be a bit of a stretch too far.

Busaras is an interesting one, it looks to be 50m long with a 5m ramp, so it looks like it could take 45m as is.

The platforms east of that heading to the point, all seems to be designed for exactly 40m trams, they all seem to be 50m long with 40m platforms. However I don't see any platform that couldn't be adjusted up to 45m without too much trouble, one or two stairs and pedestrian crossings that would need adjusting, but nothing terrible.

James also looks like it could easily take a 45m platform.

I wonder when do we get to the stage to start talking about cut and covering the Luas under Abbey Street :D

• Registered Users Posts: 33,832 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Is there a visible difference in the interior between the old parts and the new module?

Are the interiors in general due a refresh?

Life ain't always empty.

@GT mentioned already outdated elements in series 4000 and 3000.

GT89 wrote: »
    Would they not be due up for a half life refurb similar to what the 8100 DARTs got? Even though they are older sets they still feel quite modern the only real noticeable difference between them for the passenger internally is the older trams are not lowfloor throughout.

I'm surprised though they haven't had they're displays updated to LED probably nitpicking here but I think the dot matrix destination displays at the front and rear look of the 3000 and 4000 trams look very outdated.

I was asking for a future of 4000 and 3000 as now green line trams cant be transferred to red line if needed. Considering huge residential developments planned along Naas Road current capacity will be way too small.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

bk wrote: »
    Interestingly looking at all of those platforms on Google maps and without getting into the details of track curves, it looks like you could extend most of those platforms to 45 meters, though 55m would probably be a bit of a stretch too far.

Busaras is an interesting one, it looks to be 50m long with a 5m ramp, so it looks like it could take 45m as is.

The platforms east of that heading to the point, all seems to be designed for exactly 40m trams, they all seem to be 50m long with 40m platforms. However I don't see any platform that couldn't be adjusted up to 45m without too much trouble, one or two stairs and pedestrian crossings that would need adjusting, but nothing terrible.

James also looks like it could easily take a 45m platform.

I wonder when do we get to the stage to start talking about cut and covering the Luas under Abbey Street :D

Busaras is slightly different longer platform but the points require clearance so its not 50m in reality. Often you see eastbound trams move from the stop to trigger the signal clearance and still be on the platform.

Longer trams would reduce overall line capacity in the city center section and assuming they can get away with an extra 3-5 meters without doing that is it worth it when you could run an extra service or two with a 40m tram.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Kevtherev1

Thanks to tabbey for all the updates, and the workers in sandyford depot
    for their fast productive work in extending the trams.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,234 ✭✭✭✭Victor

zom wrote: »
    @GT mentioned already outdated elements in series 4000 and 3000.

I was asking for a future of 4000 and 3000 as now green line trams cant be transferred to red line if needed. Considering huge residential developments planned along Naas Road current capacity will be way too small.
    More trams can be bought.

Is there a visible difference in the interior between the old parts and the new module?

Are the interiors in general due a refresh?

The upholstery moquette looked different, but it was just because the older seats had faded. Since the pandemic, the seating is being deep cleaned, so the old seats now look similar to the new seats, except that the old ones are worn, whether from normal wear, or feet on seats.

5026 was extended this week.

The 55 metre tram programme is now complete.

Advertisement