Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

vasectomy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I have my consultation via Zoom next week with Vasectomycork.ie. Wait list of about 6 weeks then for the OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭tallaghtfornia

Sonics2k wrote: »
    I have my consultation via Zoom next week with Vasectomycork.ie. Wait list of about 6 weeks then for the OP.

Sonics try not to worry about it you will be a new man once its all over!
    Was in the same boat as you where with the wait!

Sonics try not to worry about it you will be a new man once its all over!
    Was in the same boat as you where with the wait!

Cheers! I've been looking into it for years now and decided to go ahead with it at last. Already have two kids and came to the conclusion a long time ago I don't want any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Dubdude

Finally booked in with Dr. John McCormick, he seems to get a lot of recommendations in here.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,646 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Seeing as the western birthrate has collapsed, it seems insane that men are willingly doing this (unless you already have children then fair enough).

Post above is a few months old but howandever

That's all very well, but kids aren't cheap and neither is just keeping a roof over your head these days what with both partners often having to work full time just to make ends meet.

Add to that the costs of childcare, or the issues of father's rights (or lack thereof) in the event the relationshop breaks down, increased numbers of sexual partners tht most people have generally, and so on and actually it's quite a responsible decison by anyone who is sure they don't want (more) kids.

Despite that, I do agree with you on the demographics/birth rate point to an extent - but modern society and western consumerism doesn't really align with the large families, single earner with primary caregiver model of the past I'm afraid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

Looks like most of the recommendations are down the country, any for Sligo Donegal Derry Tyrone? thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 28,274 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Seeing as the western birthrate has collapsed, it seems insane that men are willingly doing this (unless you already have children then fair enough).

You do know the planet is fairly well overpopulated now?

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭dorothylives

Had mine last Thursday afternoon at the Gentle Procedures clinic in Limerick. It's a no scalpel, no needle procedure. Took longer than expected and have a nice purple bruise on the left hand side which is also very tender. In fact, most of the time was taken on that side with the other side taking far less time so I'm not surprised at the bruising to be honest. The actual little incision/hole is healing nicely though.

It said on the website the actual procedure takes only 15-20 minutes, but it took a good 40 minutes in total for me with most of that time taken on that one left hand side for some reason. Seems to have gone well enough though. Think it might take a little longer to get back to normal though. Still quite achy and tender.

Had mine last Thursday afternoon at the Gentle Procedures clinic in Limerick. It's a no scalpel, no needle procedure. Took longer than expected and have a nice purple bruise on the left hand side which is also very tender. In fact, most of the time was taken on that side with the other side taking far less time so I'm not surprised at the bruising to be honest. The actual little incision/hole is healing nicely though.

It said on the website the actual procedure takes only 15-20 minutes, but it took a good 40 minutes in total for me with most of that time taken on that one left hand side for some reason. Seems to have gone well enough though. Think it might take a little longer to get back to normal though. Still quite achy and tender.

Great decision you wont regret it

Booked in for the 18th of February in Cork so I booked a few days off work afterwards.

Ironically of course I will have my kids down the weekend after I get it done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭James__10

From lurking through this thread Dr John McCormick seems to be the best choice.

Is it just a case of ringing and booking an appointment?

Do I pay beforehand or on the day?

Also is there a need for counselling before hand?

My mind is firmly made up. 2 kids is enough!!

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Lujan

James__10 wrote: »

I went with him last August.
    Rang one morning to make an enquiry, he called me back later that day and I was booked in for the following week.

No counselling required, he just asks a few questions.
    I paid once he finished the procedure.
    I think it took about 15 or 20mins.

No complications at all. No tenderness afterwards either.

Is it just a case of ringing and booking an appointment? Yes you will need to book in advance.

Do I pay beforehand or on the day? You pay on the day I payed by Debit Card.

Also is there a need for counselling before hand? That's up to you: Before the procedure the person performing the procedure will ask you a lot of questions that might not sound nice and they will get you to sign a wavier form about reversal etc.

Hi James
    See above from my experience
    Any more questions you can drop me a PM I have been though it all !

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭tmabr

Hi James
    See above from my experience
    Any more questions you can drop me a PM I have been though it all !

Is he expensive? Ty

Booked in for Dr John McCormick for mid April.

My partner will be driving me up but is unfamiliar with driving around City Centre so she will park at Whitehall church and bus it in.

Am I mad in the head? Will the anesthetic still be working or will it safe off by the time I reach Whitehall?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭paul_booth_fan

My partner will be driving me up but is unfamiliar with driving around City Centre so she will park at Whitehall church and bus it in.

Am I mad in the head? Will the anesthetic still be working or will it safe off by the time I reach Whitehall?

When the anesthetic wears off, you'll realistically only have a slight discomfort. You could bring 2 ibuprofen with you and take them after the procedure if you want some peace of mind, especially considering you'll be on a sitting...gingerly...on a bus for a little bit. Odds are you won't need them but the pain killers won't have any detrimental effect so there's no harm.
    When I had mine done, the missus dropped me off at St Stephens Green and parked on Cumberland Street south. I was already outside the clinic waiting by the time she walked back up to meet me. I took an ibuprofen as a precaution simply because as I knew we were going to be walking around and shopping for a bit and honestly had nothing more than a very slight niggle.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I parked in the Setanta car park. Afterwards he advised not to drive for about half an hour, so I went and got a coffee and sat in the car.
    Didn't take any ibuprofen, just drove home.
    It's grand.
    The only way I can describe it is that I was very aware that my balls existed, but I didn't feel any particular soreness or discomfort driving. They were "tender", for want of a word.
    Took ibuprofen when I got home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭spider_pig

I parked on the street outside the clinic pay and display parking, then drove home after it not a bother to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭paddyh117

I was a lurker on this thread for a long time - I went to him in December, and cannot recommend him highly enough - I've had much more uncomfortable routine dental appointments.

Having said that a friend of mine went to Dr Emmet Byrne in Bray recently and had an equally good experience, so I think there's plenty of good people out there doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

spider_pig wrote: »
    I parked on the street outside the clinic pay and display parking, then drove home after it not a bother to it.

I drove from Clare to Cork to have it done and parked on the grounds of the clinic. Got some over the counter painkillers in the pharmacy in the same building. Drove home myself. No issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

I got the operation done, slight discomfort. The man in the next bed told the nurse he had to have a vascectomy as for him it "was a life or death" issue.
    "If I don't have it the wife will ****ing kill me"

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭deeks

Booked in with Dr. John for Cork clinic in mid June. Nervous but confident it will be worth it.

Got the procedure done yesterday with Dr John McCormick in Dublin. Have to say it was a breeze. He put me at ease straightaway. The procedure itself took around 15 mins. Slight discomfort when anaesthetic is put in but it’s nowhere near enough as sore as when getting one for a tooth filling. No pain or discomfort last night. Today I have a dull ache but overall it was a simple straightforward job.

Would highly recommend going to John.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

Anyone having issue getting in contact with Dr John McCormick, rang the clinic last week and left details, they said the doctors will phone me and discuss details. A full week later I had no return call so phoned again, no record of me so they took my details again and said I would get a call back today (Friday), again no call.

Snotty wrote: »
    Anyone having issue getting in contact with Dr John McCormick, rang the clinic last week and left details, they said the doctors will phone me and discuss details. A full week later I had no return call so phoned again, no record of me so they took my details again and said I would get a call back today (Friday), again no call.

I put in an enquiry about a week ago on the enquiry form on the website. Got an e-mail from John the following day and have been back and forward a couple of times since with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭randomname2005

deeks wrote: »
    Booked in with Dr. John for Cork clinic in mid June. Nervous but confident it will be worth it.

Being nervous is understandable, but there is nothing to fear. For nearly all here, if not all, the procedure went swimmingly well at the time with the absence of swimmers a few months later.

Listen to what the doc says about resting for the few days after, and have patience up until the sample results have been sent back.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,646 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Bad Boyo wrote: »
    Why are men willingly having themselves sterilised??

They don't want (more) kids? Don't want to have to worry about unplanned pregnancies? It's easier and safer for them than the far more invasive procedures their partners would have to take?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,314 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Lads, whats it like when you have "that moment of joy" with your partner once its all healed up, is it the same, painful? Where does the stuff go if the pipes are closed? Wifey making noises here about getting it done as we have enough kids as it is.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

Ah lads, Had mine done last December and I was one of those ones that they warn you can happen!!

Details not really suitable for a public forum but suffice is to say its not all sunshine and rainbows.

No regrets mind you. just could have done without the few weeks of horror that will haunt me for years to come.

• Advertisement

Ah lads, Had mine done last December and I was one of those ones that they warn you can happen!!

Details not really suitable for a public forum but suffice is to say its not all sunshine and rainbows.

No regrets mind you. just could have done without the few weeks of horror that will haunt me for years to come.

Do you mind me asking who you had it done by and what the weeks of horror were caused by? PM if you'd rather. I'm due to get it done in June and would rather go into it with my eyes open so to speak.

Advertisement