Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Immersion circuit addition

• 17-01-2021 9:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

As part of a bathroom renovation, I installed an electric underfloor heating matt with a total load rating of 675 watts. I had planned to connect it to a fused rcb spur from one of the upstairs ring mains which is wired through the attic. On investigation, I found that its not actually a ring main but a radial circuit. This circuit serves about 12 sockets in 6 different rooms which seems excessive to me (house was built in 1999), so I'm a little concerned about adding another item to the circuit. My other potential option is to add the fused rcb spur to the dedicated immersion radial circuit (3kw heater). The rcb would be in the hotpress and close to the bathroom so the additional wire length will not be considerable.

Any thoughts on this? My only other option is to get a new circuit installed but will obviously be costly to have done.

Thanks
    UW

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭meercat

As part of a bathroom renovation, I installed an electric underfloor heating matt with a total load rating of 675 watts. I had planned to connect it to a fused rcb spur from one of the upstairs ring mains which is wired through the attic. On investigation, I found that its not actually a ring main but a radial circuit. This circuit serves about 12 sockets in 6 different rooms which seems excessive to me (house was built in 1999), so I'm a little concerned about adding another item to the circuit. My other potential option is to add the fused rcb spur to the dedicated immersion radial circuit (3kw heater). The rcb would be in the hotpress and close to the bathroom so the additional wire length will not be considerable.

Any thoughts on this? My only other option is to get a new circuit installed but will obviously be costly to have done.

Thanks
    UW

So much wrong with this post
    Only a rec is permitted to do electrical work in bathrooms
    All circuits in bathrooms require a dedicated rcd
    You cannot use the immersion circuit
    No switch (spur)allowed in hot press
    Rcd is not permitted in hot press
    The underfloor heating requires an accessible isolator within 2 mts

Time to get the professionals in.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Underwurlde

meercat wrote: »
    So much wrong with this post
    Only a rec is permitted to do electrical work in bathrooms
    All circuits in bathrooms require a dedicated rcd
    You cannot use the immersion circuit
    No switch (spur)allowed in hot press
    Rcd is not permitted in hot press
    The underfloor heating requires an accessible isolator within 2 mts

Time to get the professionals in.

Thanks for the direction. Agree its time for the experts but its starting to sound like it could be more trouble than its worth. Couple of questions. 1) What defines accessible? can the rec install the isolator in the attic above (accessible - yes, covienient- no)? I'd like to avoid having another electrical item on view in the landing what with wifi, house alarms, fire alarms, and immersion switches. 2) as the mat has been laid and the tiler finished tiling, would a rec be ok to connect a mat he didn't lay?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭meercat

Thanks for the direction. Agree its time for the experts but its starting to sound like it could be more trouble than its worth. Couple of questions. 1) What defines accessible? can the rec install the isolator in the attic above (accessible - yes, covienient- no)? I'd like to avoid having another electrical item on view in the landing what with wifi, house alarms, fire alarms, and immersion switches. 2) as the mat has been laid and the tiler finished tiling, would a rec be ok to connect a mat he didn't lay?

The attic certainly wouldn’t be accessible
    A switch fused spur outlet below the controller (or adjacent) between 400-1200mm height would suffice.

Your rec should have no problem connecting to a prelaid mat that the tiler installed. Most tilers do this anyway.assuming that the floor probe stat is installed and brought out to the controller position

Advertisement