Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Saorview Connect

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Pat6519 wrote: »
    And speaking of software, the Saorview Connect box could not even manage the clocks going back last weekend.
    Recordings that I had set manually for Satellite channels are this week all recording 1 hour earlier than I had originally created.
    So if I had it set to record BBC2 every Thursday at 9pm, now it is recording at 8pm since the clocks changed.
    But it's managing series record on the Saorview channels fine.

They refused to set Saorview to use the UK D-book standard for recording, keeping strictly to Nordig standards, but could have allowed the same process as was allowed initially, until they found out about it.

If they had, we could use UK terrestrial recorders.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭theglobe

Hi, I am a bit lost with all the information on the different boxes. Which box would ye recommend for the basic Irish and UK channels? Thanks for our help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

theglobe wrote: »
    Hi, I am a bit lost with all the information on the different boxes. Which box would ye recommend for the basic Irish and UK channels? Thanks for our help.

Not the connect box!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,252 ✭✭✭greasepalm

theglobe wrote: »

Look at enigma2 receivers eg Zgemma H7s

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Antrim_Man

How old are these now, surely a new model is due?

• Advertisement

Yes as looking for a new working model of a vhs vcr:eek::eek::D:D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Or even a working model of the Connect box.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭FRIENDO

It's a pity Walker didn't make a Connect box

I have a faulty Walker box for saorview and issues after warranty

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭AngryLips

So what's a good freesat box to get? One with a nice interface, to replace this unreliable box.

• Advertisement

If you have a sat dish enigma 2 like a Zgemma h7 ?

Does anyone know if the official freesat box works in Ireland? This one

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

AngryLips wrote: »

As a satellite receiver it should work fine however some on demand apps may be geolocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭decor58

It should do, I used its predecessor without a bother for years. Just to bear in mind thats a single tuner and there is no memory in that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Nharrison02

Just got a Seagate USB 3 1TB drive for the Saorview Connect. It only formats 14MB of it! and therefore can't record anything.
    Has anyone had similar problems and knows how to solve?
    Have tested the drive on the laptop and its fine and have tried a small older drive on the Connect box and that works too.

Maybe another reason why not to buy that box,Is it usb powered or externally powered?

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Nharrison02

greasepalm wrote: »
    Maybe another reason why not to buy that box,Is it usb powered or externally powered?

It’s just USB powered. The older one that works has its own mains power but storage is too small

I wonder if usb port an issue,if you have a usb powered hub with mains try that as less strain on usb port.

The Connect box is no longer listed for sale on the Powercity website.

I wonder will we see a new Connect box

No more Power City in Sallynoggin hoarding up and redevelopment of site i have been told.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,867 ✭✭✭JDxtra

I'd be surprised if they sold more than a few thousand units of this. So I think we are very unlikely to see a new Connect box as it is essentially a flop.

It was way too slow to release to market, no recording from launch, no HDD built-in, no sat EPG, limited apps, still buggy etc. RTE aren't going to pump any more money into a replacement.

Sad really, a Connect box with
    Saorview
    Freesat
    1 terrestrial input
    2 satellite input
    Record capability
    RTE player
    Virgin media player
    TG4 player

Would of been the answer

FRIENDO wrote: »
    Sad really, a Connect box with
    Saorview
    Freesat
    1 terrestrial input
    2 satellite input
    Record capability
    RTE player
    Virgin media player
    TG4 player

Would of been the answer

Well, it has the hardware - except internal HDD, and could have all the rest, except Freesat, but could have had an EPG available across the web, which could have been better. It has an internet connection.

It could still do that, but somehow got its knickers in a twist - not understanding the market was the problem. If they had got out of the way and let a commercial company handle it, it might have worked.

Well, it has the hardware - except internal HDD, and could have all the rest, except Freesat, but could have had an EPG available across the web, which could have been better. It has an internet connection.

It could still do that, but somehow got its knickers in a twist - not understanding the market was the problem. If they had got out of the way and let a commercial company handle it, it might have worked.

Judging by how slow and unresponsive the box is, I suspect it might be lacking ram too.

Judging by how slow and unresponsive the box is, I suspect it might be lacking ram too.

And probably computer power.

They should take a standard box and add their addons to make it work with their viewer.

They are not in this business, so why try.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭cranefly

The Connect box was known from the start it was not fit for the market they were trying to sell it to. they are not idiots, but they went ahead anyway, knowing exactly what was needed, but even if it had everything we wanted, the market was so small for this box, they just did not give a damn, and pawned us off on this sub par box, just to keep up with their responsibilities to sell something, anything.

cranefly wrote: »
    The Connect box was known from the start it was not fit for the market they were trying to sell it to. they are not idiots, but they went ahead anyway, knowing exactly what was needed, but even if it had everything we wanted, the market was so small for this box, they just did not give a damn, and pawned us off on this sub par box, just to keep up with their responsibilities to sell something, anything.

RTE had no place in the market the Connect box was aimed at. RTE had no financial interest in the sales of he boxes. It was not something they should have got involved with at any level. They are too constrained by various legal and copyright issues to make a success of such an enterprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭cranefly

RTE had no place in the market the Connect box was aimed at. RTE had no financial interest in the sales of he boxes. It was not something they should have got involved with at any level. They are too constrained by various legal and copyright issues to make a success of such an enterprise.

Who like me thought when this was first mooted years ago, that together with Freesat, we were going to get a brand new box to rival sky. Specifically designed for the irish market. Everyone knew what was needed to make this box a success, their was no big surprise for anyone, or any interested partner to know what was required for it to be a success. what did we get after all those years waiting for the college educated people to put together, a box not fit for purpose.

I bet the guys at Freesat knew this was not anywhere near what the public were expecting when it first came on sale. I wonder if Brexit would have any impact on any future box with Freesat involvement.

Who like me thought when this was first mooted years ago, that together with Freesat, we were going to get a brand new box to rival sky. Specifically designed for the irish market. Everyone knew what was needed to make this box a success, their was no big surprise for anyone, or any interested partner to know what was required for it to be a success. what did we get after all those years waiting for the college educated people to put together, a box not fit for purpose.

I bet the guys at Freesat knew this was not anywhere near what the public were expecting when it first came on sale. I wonder if Brexit would have any impact on any future box with Freesat involvement.

It does not need Freesat, just a working EPG, which could be from an internet feed. It had twin sat and terrestrial tuners, plus internet connection. It just needed the full set of Irish players, Saorview, and a decent satellite EPG with Saorview channels on the same list. I'm not sure if it had WiFi.

A built in HDD was also needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

By all accounts Freesats latest offerings are nothing to write home about either.

Advertisement