Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attic conversion

• 16-01-2021 2:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hello, , I try to describe my problem in the best possible way.
    Five years ago we let one guy started to convert our attic, and he promised us that in the end, he will sort certificate for his job, we planned to do this conversion in two goes. After his first job, I found that his job is not in right with regulations. After talking with him he said that his engineer is gone and he will be not able to bring cert for his job. In meantime, I call a local engineer who visits my house and said that this job is badly done and not right. He said that he doesn't really have time to help me, I try again recently went to his office left msg and he didn't call me back. As this year we probably did not go anywhere, I planned a sorted attic. I call some contractor and he visits my house then he back with a quote for 30 thousand euro , as structural damage are done to the attic . From what I understand it is so expensive because between me and my neighbor we don't have a concrete wall and only 2 plasterboards from each side and mineral wool inside so metal beams cannot be put in landscape and will have to go portrait which is much more expensive and complicated. I don't want to spend 30 grounds on the attic so I started thinking what is the easiest way to fixed attic, and need someone who will give me proper advice on what to do in my case.I call that guy who did that job at beginning and he said that he offer put everything as it was but I dont want him do any more damage to attic as he is simple a cowboy .

1 Option is put as it was but I need for this proper planed prepared by an engineer, so in future, if I want to sell the house no one will say that something is wrong with attic

2 Option I need an engineer who will prepare the conversion of this attic which will comply with all building regulation so that I can call for a contractor, and in the end, I will get a Certificate for this job,

Any more options pls feel free to give me advice .
    Is any one here who will be able to help me pls private msg .
    I wish find all possible option .

pictures are in link
    https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipO4dbdnwaYhclj5rItoawcTm75LCAIqKjJ8kwPnqcCnNfRDyI5ipCZXctZWuWzFtg?key=c1BVVDNHYU4xTXpzYUpEWVV1ekI5c2NCVDMwMk9n

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15 justme34

AF1QipO4dbdnwaYhclj5rItoawcTm75LCAIqKjJ8kwPnqcCnNfRDyI5ipCZXctZWuWzFtg?key=c1BVVDNHYU4xTXpzYUpEWVV1ekI5c2NCVDMwMk9n

• Registered Users Posts: 12,141 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

what is behind the ply in picture 5?
    are the new uprights vertical?
    Is this attic now the third floor in your house or is it s bungalow?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Do you have any pictures of the attic before the conversion

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Max Moment

Get an Engineer to design this properly. Steel Beams are needed to support the Roof and transfer the weight safely. You can not leave this as it is.

As it is a Timber Framed House, the Timber Studs in the Gable and Party Walls will need to be increased and strengthened to support the new Steel Beams. The engineer will design this up for you.

That is a proper cowboy effort of an attic conversion he has done for you I’m sorry to say.

what is behind the ply in picture 5?
    are the new uprights vertical?
    Is this attic now the third floor in your house or is it s bungalow?

This standard semi detached 4 bed house .
    Behind ply is external wall .
    Uprigths are orginal never touch by him .

• Advertisement

Max Moment wrote: »
    Get an Engineer to design this properly. Steel Beams are needed to support the Roof and transfer the weight safely. You can not leave this as it is.

As it is a Timber Framed House, the Timber Studs in the Gable and Party Walls will need to be increased and strengthened to support the new Steel Beams. The engineer will design this up for you.

That is a proper cowboy effort of an attic conversion he has done for you I’m sorry to say.

Yes I know and I fully understand this situation I look now for possible solutions .

Do you have any pictures of the attic before the conversion

I don't have a picture but did some drawing to show what he did ,
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/gireQQyMZqVgTi2v7

• Subscribers Posts: 40,729 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Converted trusses..... Sweet jesus!!!

No upgrade of the floor joists either??

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Converted trusses..... Sweet jesus!!!

No upgrade of the floor joists either??

No

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Wow

• Advertisement

This job was done approximately 4/5 years ago and thanks good nothing bad happens .Its now time to sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 pappyirl

Those are pre-fabricated trusses and should not have been cut without an alternative support scheme in place. You need to contact a structural engineer who will prepare a remedial plan. It may or may not be necessary to strengthen the party wall for support, best avoided if possible. I would suggest you also contact a solicitor and take the original builder to court, as it stands you probably would not be able to sell your house.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

OP,
    We can’t offer structural advise here, but it seems to me you need to decide what you are willing to pay for. Either way you are doing option 1, but can you afford option 2 ?

Btw, we cannot offer legal advise or ‘name & Shame’, but that guy was not a builder, no decent tradesman would leave a roof like that.

Thank you for all your replies, as English is my not native language and to avoid misunderstanding I prepare simple drawings to explain what exactly was done in case if I reply wrong to any of Your questions. I contact this guy and he said that he can put it back as it was for free but I'm not let him touch my house ever again.
    Is converting attic best option ?? or there is any possibility of restore attic to its original condition ??

Link to drawings
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/nZ849dL6UFL5t6Vx9

BryanF wrote: »
    OP,
    We can’t offer structural advise here, but it seems to me you need to decide what you are willing to pay for. Either way you are doing option 1, but can you afford option 2 ?

Btw, we cannot offer legal advise or ‘name & Shame’, but that guy was not a builder, no decent tradesman would leave a roof like that.

You absolutely right that was an unregistered carpenter recommended to me by one of my friends,I didnt know legislation and I trusted him ,now I have to pay for my mistake .
    I am not looking for structural advice, what I am looking is to find if it is possible to restore as It was, and what will be the cheapest way possible.
    If no choice I will go for full conversion if the choice I will be happy to repair it, or If someone can give me advice on what is best to do/recommend someone who will do right job for Me, as I dont want to any more mistake .

• Registered Users Posts: 13 pappyirl

You really need professional advice. Those are not structural drawings. A structural engineer will advise you and will also take responsibility that the advice given is backed up by their insurance. Ensure the engineer has PI insurance, ask for a copy.

I doubt you can go back to the original trusses but the person who will stand over any advice is a professional engineer, not some Joe on boards.

pappyirl wrote: »
    You really need professional advice. Those are not structural drawings. A structural engineer will advise you and will also take responsibility that the advice given is backed up by their insurance. Ensure the engineer has PI insurance, ask for a copy.

I doubt you can go back to the original trusses but the person who will stand over any advice is a professional engineer, not some Joe on boards.
    Thank You .

• Registered Users Posts: 23,202 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Thr trusses were factory produced units with tension members allowing smaller and lighter timber than would otherwise be needed.

He has cut out the structure of the trusses completely undermining the design of the truss making it unfit to support the roof.
    Has this roof sagged when viewed externally?
    Have you had any issues internally with ceiling dropping or cracks opening up?

I dont believe you will get a building regulation compliant habitable room in there but you will get a safe storage area but that will require major works in reinforcing whats there.
    Id want nothing to do with this tbh.

mickdw wrote: »
    Thr trusses were factory produced units with tension members allowing smaller and lighter timber than would otherwise be needed.

He has cut out the structure of the trusses completely undermining the design of the truss making it unfit to support the roof.
    Has this roof sagged when viewed externally?
    Have you had any issues internally with ceiling dropping or cracks opening up?

I dont believe you will get a building regulation compliant habitable room in there but you will get a safe storage area but that will require major works in reinforcing whats there.
    Id wants nothing to do with this tbh.

There is no single visible issue with the roof, I watch regularly inside and outside , we had many hurricanes last feew years and nothing bad happend thanks good .I am detremined to fixed this attic I undesrtand that this will be very expensive lesson for me , but I want to do right .

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

As per forum charter, please refrain from offering structural advice.

• Advertisement
Advertisement