Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dating Apps/sites

• 19-12-2020 7:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭

Hey Lads,

It's a bad time to be asking, given the current situation with restrictions/lockdowns ect..

What is the best way to find a partner? I'm tempted to try Tinder, POF but have heard it's very difficult.

I was wondering if anyone here has had success?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Covit

carzony wrote: »
    Hey Lads,

It's a bad time to be asking, given the current situation with restrictions/lockdowns ect..

What is the best way to find a partner? I'm tempted to try Tinder, POF but have heard it's very difficult.

Ya I’ve had good bit of success since lockdown on tinder women just meeting for quick shag

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Its a hard time with the lockdown but can be done depending on the individual. Many are too scared to go anywhere with the virus though.

I've never used tinder as just seems to be associated highly with quick shags which is grand for some but not for me.

Pof would be your best bet as it has the biggest pool but you could be a long time searching for someone genuine. I met someone nice after several months of messages and "meet me" from others that didn't interest me.

I would avoid the social media influencer looking types, selfie mad ones, posing with the birthday number types, the b*tchy types.

It's a fine art to search but you'll get there. There is other sites with smaller pool and higher % of more genuine sound people like ok cupid but the interface is terrible imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Interested in this too.

I’d be looking for lads instead of girls but same principles apply

• Registered Users Posts: 9,525 ✭✭✭billyhead

Is Bumble any good and do you need to upgrade and pay a fee?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

Had three dates from Bumble and Hinge this year, two of them turned out to be one night stands. Definitly different gravy compared to what we were used to back pre covid, a lot are nervous about meeting up with the restrictions in place which is fair enough abd you have tk resoect that. Biggest problem ive had is being catfished. Im no supermodel myself but my profiles as honest as i can have it i.e. most recent photos, no filters, no photoshop, full body pics etc however im finding most women are using old photos, filtered and photoshopped photos as well as mainly selfies as well. Ill probably be called a pig for saying it but thats my experience so far snyway. Biggest problem i find is that the local pool here are all the bitchy type as described by a previous poster or else there all teschers too much dramas with both those groups. Ghosting is also snother problem with the online dating and to be honest id rather just be told at the start im wasting my time than putting effort into flogging s dead horse. Its also made me realise how small Ireland is too as a friend messaged me today to tell me i was messaging such and such a girl on bumble a while back as if i wasnt aware of it, wed live about 60+km away from each other.

Better living everyone

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 4 Lockdown Romance

I had zero luck with Hinge and Bumble, the supposdely 'proper' dating apps. On Tinder I would get one match a week (literally) but the girls would never reply to my messages.

On Stephen's night I was drunk and paid for a month's subscription to Tinder. One of the benefits is you can set your location anywhere in the world. After a few goes I went to Manila.

Holy hell boys, I am like a rock star! My phone is constantly blowing up with new matches and messages. And I'm not in any way good looking, I am a 4 at best, but just being white is enough to be considered attractive over there.

Even if you don't like Asian girls, give this a go. If only for the confidence boost.

Now to save up and get jaw surgery so I can be handsome and crack the Hanoi market :D

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Jafin

I had zero luck with Hinge and Bumble, the supposdely 'proper' dating apps. On Tinder I would get one match a week (literally) but the girls would never reply to my messages.

On Stephen's night I was drunk and paid for a month's subscription to Tinder. One of the benefits is you can set your location anywhere in the world. After a few goes I went to Manila.

Holy hell boys, I am like a rock star! My phone is constantly blowing up with new matches and messages. And I'm not in any way good looking, I am a 4 at best, but just being white is enough to be considered attractive over there.

Even if you don't like Asian girls, give this a go. If only for the confidence boost.

Now to save up and get jaw surgery so I can be handsome and crack the Hanoi market :D

I don't want to be reinforcing Asian stereotypes or anything here, but I taught English in Hanoi for 6 months a few years back and a good few of my Vietnamese teaching assistants tried very diligently to set me up with their friends. I had to keep coming up with different ways of saying no without ever telling them that the real reason was because I was gay.

I would not class myself as a very good looking guy, maybe a 4 like you said yourself, and I was quite a bit overweight back then. I don't really know if it's a genuine attraction or if it's seen as a status thing if you have a "foreign" partner, but a lot of my fellow male teachers who would likely struggle to find dates/partners over here were making out like bandits with offers while I was in Hanoi.

Another thing that is part of the culture over there is that women tend to try to get married quite young, because if you pass a certain age (25) and you're unmarried then people seem to think there is something wrong with you. It's really all quite bizarre in comparison to Western culture.

That was my experience at least, can't say it's the same for everyone throughout that whole country.

• Site Banned Posts: 4 Lockdown Romance

Jafin wrote: »
    I don't want to be reinforcing Asian stereotypes or anything here, but I taught English in Hanoi for 6 months a few years back and a good few of my Vietnamese teaching assistants tried very diligently to set me up with their friends. I had to keep coming up with different ways of saying no without ever telling them that the real reason was because I was gay.

I would not class myself as a very good looking guy, maybe a 4 like you said yourself, and I was quite a bit overweight back then. I don't really know if it's a genuine attraction or if it's seen as a status thing if you have a "foreign" partner, but a lot of my fellow male teachers who would likely struggle to find dates/partners over here were making out like bandits with offers while I was in Hanoi.

Another thing that is part of the culture over there is that women tend to try to get married quite young, because if you pass a certain age (25) and you're unmarried then people seem to think there is something wrong with you.

That was my experience at least, can't say it's the same for everyone throughout that whole country.

Absolutely. Being a white man in South East Asia confers high status, no matter what your looks and you are right on the 25 thing. But who cares? Even the older Vietnamese girls I saw on Tinder are gorgeous.

Anyway once the Pandemic is over I'm going to SEA.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Samsonsmasher

Hey Lads,

Hinge Bumble and Tinder.
    POF is full of time wasters.
    It's hard work.
    You have to swipe thousands of times to get a few dozen matches and you are lucky to get a handful of dates a month.
    I use these apps but found it far easier to chat up women in the real world.
    Pre covid the average guy on a Friday Saturday or Sunday could easily have multiple women lined up for a half hour chat in cafes and pubs.
    Now because of covid and distancing and masks women will not meet up unless you meet a like minded woman who isn't taken in by this insanity.
    I can only assume there is mass despair loneliness and frustration out there which is at bursting point.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I met my wife on Tinder, so make of that what you will :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭99nsr125

Kiith wrote: »
    I met my wife on Tinder, so make of that what you will :P

Me too :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭con___manx1

Bumble is the best. Just make sure you put up photos of you doing some activity like hiking or what ever you like to do. not just selfies. It makes it easier for the girls to send the first message and gives you something to talk about straight away. Keep the bio short. You Don't want t give to much away.
    I had more success on bumble than any other app when I was single.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭yoke

Originally Posted by Kiith viewpost.gif
    I met my wife on Tinder, so make of that what you will tongue.png
    99nsr125 wrote: »
    Me too :-)

you met his wife on tinder? probably better to keep that private

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭99nsr125

yoke wrote: »
    you met his wife on tinder? probably better to keep that private

:-))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

bumble is gone down hill. There used to be loads of matches on it but i think people are gone away from it.

How are the rest of ye finding it these days with the current lockdown? Awful quiete compared to before and nobodys really up to meet up due to the 5km limits etc. Im rural by the way, is it any different in the Cities?

Better living everyone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

I notice it too. Apps way quieter. Way less matches.

Hardly surprising I suppose.

I notice it too. Apps way quieter. Way less matches.

Hardly surprising I suppose.

Yea the interest is gone altogether really. Was hoping to meet up with a one in early march that i had been messaging fairly strong in January myself but i suppose i ended up half ghosting her in a way as it unlikely restrictions will lift at sll now and i just couldnt face the same conversation over and over again.

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 13,332 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I got all in to the apps at the end of last year and bored already,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭Barna77

Gael23 wrote: »
    Interested in this too.

I’d be looking for lads instead of girls but same principles apply
    I hear you. I haven't used any app in more than a year and I don't miss them at all. But I hear the gaybourhood has been business as usual (for some), regardless of lockdonws

Bumble is the best. Just make sure you put up photos of you doing some activity like hiking or what ever you like to do. not just selfies. It makes it easier for the girls to send the first message and gives you something to talk about straight away. Keep the bio short. You Don't want t give to much away.
    I had more success on bumble than any other app when I was single.
    I lived with two girls who who'd give out that all the profiles had the same type of photos: night out with the lads holding a pint, backpacking in Asia/Australia, and sports

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭shawki

These type of photos really annoy me, seen them about 100 times now. Don't really understand what they add to a profile.

image1-2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

shawki wrote: »
    These type of photos really annoy me, seen them about 100 times now. Don't really understand what they add to a profile.

You will find a lot of sheep on pof. Don't forget the birthday photo with the big balloon with numbers on it. Everything is copy and paste from social media

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Samsonsmasher

Don't forget forget to stay 2m apart at all times and wear a mask to protect one another from covid 19...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Barna77 wrote: »
    I hear you. I haven't used any app in more than a year and I don't miss them at all. But I hear the gaybourhood has been business as usual (for some), regardless of lockdonws

Is gaybourhood an app?

• Registered Users Posts: 43 aismac

Barna77 wrote: »

I lived with two girls who who'd give out that all the profiles had the same type of photos: night out with the lads holding a pint, backpacking in Asia/Australia, and sports

I’m a girl so you might delete this but there’s still lots of girls interested. Can I say to ye about profiles:
    - Post lots of pictures of yourself smiling
    - Holiday pics are grand but don’t do topless, or pics of motorbikes or drunk with the lads
    - Do, do, do write a profile. Girls read them a lot and it’s often the difference between a swipe or not
    - Do read our profiles and if you send a message, comment on something. We hear “hi how r u” 5 times a day and those conversations are always really hard to get going. Good luck! 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 16,249 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

aismac wrote: »
    I’m a girl so you might delete this but there’s still lots of girls interested. Can I say to ye about profiles:
    - Post lots of pictures of yourself smiling
    - Holiday pics are grand but don’t do topless, or pics of motorbikes or drunk with the lads
    - Do, do, do write a profile. Girls read them a lot and it’s often the difference between a swipe or not
    - Do read our profiles and if you send a message, comment on something. We hear “hi how r u” 5 times a day and those conversations are always really hard to get going. Good luck! ��

thats all grand but if the lad is good looking he might have 3 words on his profile and would get more interest than an average Joe who wrote half his life story.

The photo is the most important bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Ultrflat

thats all grand but if the lad is good looking he might have 3 words on his profile and would get more interest than an average Joe who wrote half his life story.

The photo is the most important bit.

So is your sense of humor! ;)

Online dating is a numbers game, so you need to switch your emotions off for that aspect of it.

Unless you're Brad Pitt, most women won't match with you. Most of those that do will only chat for a while before stopping. Those who do agree to meet, some will cancel. Those who you do manage to meet, I would say most won't result in a second date, this might be your decision or hers.

When you sit down and do the maths, most of the women you browse online you will never meet.

Like I said, just switch the emotions off, at least until you get to meet them.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Plasandrunt

Apologies if this sounds shallow and I'm certainly no Brad Pitt but are some of these woman serious with the photos they put up?

It's really bad on Hinge I've noticed, some woman there with photos of her during or directly after running a marathon, covered in sweat. I don't understand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,249 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Apologies if this sounds shallow and I'm certainly no Brad Pitt but are some of these woman serious with the photos they put up?

It's really bad on Hinge I've noticed, some woman there with photos of her during or directly after running a marathon, covered in sweat. I don't understand.

In fairness maybe the reason is people want to show what they look like in everyday life.

In my own case I have one pic dressed like I would on a night out and another in jeans and a t shirt that I have on around the house.

Advertisement