Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boxing Thread 11/12 (Joshua-Pulev, McKenna Brothers, Top Rank/PBC Cards in US)

1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,550 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

walshb wrote: »
    Y

I tell you..if they fight, I expect an easier win for AJ than he had on Saturday!

If you mean by that Usyk does not have the power to make Joshua cautious, then you maybe right. Uysk will have far more success than Pulvev initially. It will be tough for a while, but i expect Joshua's power will be the difference maker. He is too good not to land at some point- and as we've seen in previous Usyk fights he is hittable.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,495 ✭✭✭✭walshb

If you mean by that Usyk does not have the power to make Joshua cautious, then you maybe right. Uysk will have far more success than Pulvev initially. It will be tough for a while, but i expect Joshua's power will be the difference maker. He is too good not to land at some point- and as we've seen in previous Usyk fights he is hittable.

AJ can land in any round...

Not at all a surprise he lands clean and heavy right away to do the job!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Chisora came forward like a bull against Usyk so obviously landed a few shots. Nothing really substantial though was there? Usyk never remotely hurt. I think you've got to judge Usyk's ability not to get hit when he fought guys who could hurt him. Gassiev a monster puncher hardly laid a glove on him and when he did Usyk took it extremely well.

The only time I've seen Usyk remotely hurt was by a body shot against Beterbiev in the amateurs. Joshua is a head hunter so that wouldn't concern me greatly.

I just think this current safety first version of Joshua makes Usyk more than live. If the fight turns into a chess match on the outside I'd have to favour Usyk as the better overall boxer and mover.

If Joshua fights more gun-ho it flips more in his favour but I'm not convinced he has that in his arsenal anymore.

Morrison J wrote: »
    Chisora came forward like a bull against Usyk so obviously landed a few shots. Nothing really substantial though was there? Usyk never remotely hurt. I think you've got to judge Usyk's ability not to get hit when he fought guys who could hurt him. Gassiev a monster puncher hardly laid a glove on him and when he did Usyk took it extremely well.

The only time I've seen Usyk remotely hurt was by a body shot against Beterbiev in the amateurs. Joshua is a head hunter so that wouldn't concern me greatly.

I just think this current safety first version of Joshua makes Usyk more than live. If the fight turns into a chess match on the outside I'd have to favour Usyk as the better overall boxer and mover.

If Joshua fights more gun-ho it flips more in his favour but I'm not convinced he has that in his arsenal anymore.

AJ still has longer reach, height, longer arms and more power..

Outside favours him and inside definitely favors him..

You are not giving AJ enough credit for his outside boxing fundamentals...

Even a safety-cautious AJ can clearly show superiority if this is a boxing-chess match..he has all the physical advantages.

Usyk will see and feel the difference in overall size here..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,643 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Usyk does have fantastic feet and stamina. I think his best chance is to make it a dance contest for a few rounds. He’ll have to avoid aj;s jab and it could make for dull watching. With a few rounds ticked off he will need to commit in the counter. I don’t think aj will have an easy time cutting off the ring but Usyk’s timing needs to be perfect. I think he needs to fight better than ever before and still catch aj being foolish and over-committed. I can see aj winning long, inside or coming at him like a bull and overwhelming. I’d love Usyk to do it but it would surprise me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭Coneygree

Even with a perfectly executed game plan, he'll never get a fair shout on the cards vs the golden goose.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Coneygree wrote: »
    Even with a perfectly executed game plan, he'll never get a fair shout on the cards vs the golden goose.

Very true.

And a similar situation if he was to fight Fury in America.

Usyk has quite the unenviable task ahead of him should he wish to defeat the big boys.

Very true.

And a similar situation if he was to fight Fury in America.

Usyk has quite the unenviable task ahead of him should he wish to defeat the big boys.

Not so sure I agree with that. I think his name carries enough weight to get him a fair enough crack on the scorecards. If he runs for 12 rounds with an odd tap then I’m happy enough for the judges to recognise that. I don’t think he will beat either but we’ll see what happens. I still see a belt having to be vacated and he could well fight Joe Joyce for that one.

squinn2912 wrote: »
    Not so sure I agree with that. I think his name carries enough weight to get him a fair enough crack on the scorecards. If he runs for 12 rounds with an odd tap then I’m happy enough for the judges to recognise that. I don’t think he will beat either but we’ll see what happens. I still see a belt having to be vacated and he could well fight Joe Joyce for that one.

I really hope Usyk does not become a recognized HW belt holder due to fighting someone like Joe Joyce for it....

walshb wrote: »
    I really hope Usyk does not become a recognized HW belt holder due to fighting someone like Joe Joyce for it....

Here we go for a first. I completely agree! I think both he and Joe are well worth a title shot but a soft belt like that would be a smear on the sport. I’d like to see the fight though I think it would be brilliant. Talk of Joe fighting Chisora, what a waste of time.

• Advertisement
Advertisement