Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Heavyweight Boxing

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭squinn2912

I’m enjoying this fight so far interesting contrast of styles. Bakole better earlier on but Kuzmin is very capable on the inside and medium range.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

Kuzmin is catching him with some heavy shots but it doesn’t seem to be phasing bakole

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 54,582 ✭✭✭✭walshb

There’s a thread on this card tonight..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,019 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

I'm watching it on my IPTV and very happy I haven't paid a penny for this card specifically. A joke of a card, Hearn just keeps bending the public over and seemingly keeps getting away with it.

Looking forward to the main event though and even the Fury fight I guess.

Edit: I must be in the minority though, I don't think AJ chin is dodgy per say. I think he gets himself into situations where he gets caught and that makes his fights exciting because there is a danger that comes with that but bar the Ruiz one, where he was clearly ****ed and barely knew where he was from that left hook that concussed him he has come through all the tests of his chin and I'd say that kind of punch shouldn't really count against a fighters "chin"

I am looking forward to the fight more so to see the approach of AJ to it, I think if he goes in there and commits to being aggressive and trying to make a statement he gets it over in 2. If not I'd still be pretty surprised if it goes beyond round 8, Pulev is too easy to hit I think at this stage of his career.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 37,495 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Pulev is too slow and is easily hit too. It won't last long, Pulev is tough so I'd guess five or six rounds max.
    Joshua can keep him at distance early until he catches him a few times and then step it up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

I'm watching it on my IPTV and very happy I haven't paid a penny for this card specifically. A joke of a card, Hearn just keeps bending the public over and seemingly keeps getting away with it.

Two very stromg undercard fights compared to some fights

Go watch UFC

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Just as well the judges dont see the highlights

58-55 after 6

• Registered Users Posts: 20,515 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

As i expected Pulev has the European almost Olympic style he wants to win the fight from the outisde and its never going to be the way to beat AJ

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭iebamm2580

best of seen joshua i think, tightens the odds against fury who i still think will win htough as Joshua's jab advantage will be gone and he will have to take more risks to get at fury.

gypsy79 wrote: »
    Two very stromg undercard fights compared to some fights

Go watch UFC

What an odd post.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭squinn2912

iebamm2580 wrote: »
    best of seen joshua i think, tightens the odds against fury who i still think will win htough as Joshua's jab advantage will be gone and he will have to take more risks to get at fury.

Calm down big guy. He was up against precious little. He did the job impressively enough but I’d have the Wlad and AP wins well ahead of that.

squinn2912 wrote: »
    Calm down big guy. He was up against precious little. He did the job impressively enough but I’d have the Wlad and AP wins well ahead of that.

Yeah Pulev was game but well past his best, AJ looked to be hesitant at times, I think he wanted to work on his patience and I suppose is still trying to find a balance between boxing and fighting.

His instinct is to go for the kill but he empties the tank too fast when he does that, it took him at least 2 rounds to recover after trying to get him out of there in the 3rd - in fairness to him his instincts were right there and Pulev did well to see out that round but it was good experience for him to have to wait to get the KO I think.

A good performance, more assured than v Ruiz and now he can push on again maybe, unless he can develop his own lateral movement a bit though I'm not sure he's ever going to be a combo puncher, more a try hit you hard with a one two or a single and if your in trouble swarm. Which is fine, he has the size to box behind the jab and keep the fight long.

squinn2912 wrote: »

Think his shot selection was much better and his uppercut looked particularly good, still back fury though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,091 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Think his shot selection was much better and his uppercut looked particularly good, still back fury though.

His uppercut was always good.
    Remember him nearly separating Klitschko's head from his shoulders?

blade1 wrote: »
    His uppercut was always good.
    Remember him nearly separating Klitschko's head from his shoulders?

yeah i know but he used it alot last night, be hard to do that against fury as he wont have the space with fury leaning on him.

yeah i know but he used it alot last night, be hard to do that against fury as he wont have the space with fury leaning on him.

I don't know, maybe in close he'll land the perfect uppercut.
    I wonder how fury stands up to it if or when he does land it.
    Interesting match up anyway.

I don't know, maybe in close he'll land the perfect uppercut.
    I wonder how fury stands up to it if or when he does land it.
    Interesting match up anyway.

fury tooks wilders best, and most analysts would agree wilder hits harder then joshua, i think ajs gas tank with fury leaning and roughing him up will be interesting, fury seems to have ridiculous tank and rarely seems tired.

fury tooks wilders best, and most analysts would agree wilder hits harder then joshua, i think ajs gas tank with fury leaning and roughing him up will be interesting, fury seems to have ridiculous tank and rarely seems tired.

He did not take Wilder’s best...

He took his best in the two fights..

Wilder has landed heavier and better shots on others...

walshb wrote: »
    He did not take Wilder’s best...

He took his best in the two fights..

Wilder has landed heavier and better shots on others...

wilder landed a sharp left just as fury was going down from the first shot in the 12th and he still got up, would you think aj would take them? we wont get into fury as we disagree on him, i betmy mortgage on it that you think aj will beat fury.

wilder landed a sharp left just as fury was going down from the first shot in the 12th and he still got up, would you think aj would take them? we wont get into fury as we disagree on him, i betmy mortgage on it that you think aj will beat fury.

I have AJ to win via KO

But this is a tough fight to call for various reasons..No side should be really confident.

Fury has size, durability, fitness, and innate fighting talent..

I would not be putting too much on an AJ win..

I would be somewhat confident that AJ, if he lands really clean, can badly hurt Fury to allow him to get the finish..AJ a far better overall puncher than Wilder..

But, Fury can possibly avoid real heavy clean shots to survive and win himself..

It’s that type of fight of styles..

• Advertisement

walshb wrote: »
    I have AJ to win via KO

But this is a tough fight to call for various reasons..No side should be really confident.

Fury has size, durability, fitness, and innate fighting talent..

I would not be putting too much on an AJ win..

I would be somewhat confident that AJ, if he lands really clean, can badly hurt Fury to allow him to get the finish..AJ a far better overall puncher than Wilder..

But, Fury can possibly avoid real heavy clean shots to survive and win himself..

It’s that type of fight of styles..

thats fair enough, think fury wears down aj and he gasses 7-10.

I only realised when the fight ended that I had no commentary for the fight.
    Far better, wish it was like that all the time instead of listening to the usual plonkers!

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Butson

I only realised when the fight ended that I had no commentary for the fight.
    Far better, wish it was like that all the time instead of listening to the usual plonkers!

Best bet is to watch it but listen to Mike Costello on BBC 5 Live, best commentator in any sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,515 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

AJ has a couple of coaches now or is it even 3?
    Rob, Able and is there another?

His performance looked like a couple of styles mixed and matched but not in anyway fluid way, It was like he wasnt sure which to go with and came across disjointed at times

That could be a big problem in there with a more lIve opponent, he wont have time to be think and reset himself

I just think Fury is naturally a better boxer and fighter and no matter what at happens will find a way to overcome AJ

From a boxing perspective with AJ, I think the fans are in a great position here..

We get AJ v Usyk or AJ v Fury next...

Either fight here is a top 5 wish across all weights..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭robwen

Boxing & the Mob, BBC 1 9pm tonight.
    Darragh McIntyre investigates the role of the alleged head of one of Europe's biggest drug cartels in the upcoming heavyweight title fight between Tyson Fury & Anthony Joshua

robwen wrote: »
    Boxing & the Mob, BBC 1 9pm tonight.
    Darragh McIntyre investigates the role of the alleged head of one of Europe's biggest drug cartels in the upcoming heavyweight title fight between Tyson Fury & Anthony Joshua

Panorama Special I think...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

Everybody getting dragged in to this... Warren, Hearn, Saunders, Fury. All the top names in British boxing.

Everybody getting dragged in to this... Warren, Hearn, Saunders, Fury. All the top names in British boxing.

That’s because they are all complicit.

Macklin heavily involved for years, yet Sky seem to have no issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

Barry Mcguigans like a jealous ex girlfriend

Advertisement