Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

worried I won't get School place for son

• 03-12-2020 8:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭

Hi,
    I'm just wondering has anyone gone through anything similar. I applied for three primary schools for my child. The one that I wanted him to go to we didn't get in to as we're outside the catchment and we're number 12 on the waiting list there.

The one that I thought we'd get into regardless had earlier this year on their website that they accept applications from February to October the year before they start. I sent in the paperwork and got it back with an acknowledgement slip so I presumed that they had everything. I went onto their website earlier yesterday and found out that they have a new application form with different dates on their site and I heard from a friend today that they got offered a place. I'm really worried that we've missed out now. I thought I had our application in early and surely they should have contacted me when I sent in our documents if there was going to be another form.

The third also got back to me today saying I'm on a waiting list. I'm so worried that he won't get in anywhere and it's really stressing me out. I've sent a mail to the local school to see what the story is but what do I do if he doesn't get a place anywhere? Thanks for your help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭sallyanne12

chooey wrote: »
    Hi,
    I'm just wondering has anyone gone through anything similar. I applied for three primary schools for my child. The one that I wanted him to go to we didn't get in to as we're outside the catchment and we're number 12 on the waiting list there.

The one that I thought we'd get into regardless had earlier this year on their website that they accept applications from February to October the year before they start. I sent in the paperwork and got it back with an acknowledgement slip so I presumed that they had everything. I went onto their website earlier yesterday and found out that they have a new application form with different dates on their site and I heard from a friend today that they got offered a place. I'm really worried that we've missed out now. I thought I had our application in early and surely they should have contacted me when I sent in our documents if there was going to be another form.

The third also got back to me today saying I'm on a waiting list. I'm so worried that he won't get in anywhere and it's really stressing me out. I've sent a mail to the local school to see what the story is but what do I do if he doesn't get a place anywhere? Thanks for your help

Hi I know exactly what you mean. In the same boat myself. I didn’t know getting a place was so hard. And I followed all the advice and applied as soon. as I could. What’s weird is I’m outside the catchment area for schools the closest to me so I’ve no idea what schools I’m actualy in the cathment area for. Is your son 4 or 5? Is it his last chance for school or could he go next year?
    I know it’s hard not to worry but don’t worry. He will get a place! He has to be educated. If he gets refused, get onto the department of education and they will help. Try not to worry and good luck, I know how frustrating it is. Also try to remember that this is the first stage. You’re number 12 on the list and a lot of people on the list will have applied to several schools and could pull out. I reckon you will get offered a place after next Friday has passed :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭chooey

Thanks so much for your reply-it helps even knowing that I'm not the only one in this position. it's v frustrating. He's four now so he'll turn five at the start of next September. I'd really hate for him to have to wait another year as he's looking forward to starting and I think he's ready to start too. I think another year at creche wouldn't be of any benefit to him. What about your child? Will keep everything crossed that you get a place soon too!

Thanks so much for your reply-it helps even knowing that I'm not the only one in this position. it's v frustrating. He's four now so he'll turn five at the start of next September. I'd really hate for him to have to wait another year as he's looking forward to starting and I think he's ready to start too. I think another year at creche wouldn't be of any benefit to him. What about your child? Will keep everything crossed that you get a place soon too!

I know how you feel but I really believe he will get a place. Lots of my friends sons started last year and they also were on waiting lists and ended up getting a few offers in the end so I’m hopeful for us both :-) let me know if your son gets a place. I think you will get in with an appeal (if you don’t get any offers after a while) because next year your son will be 6 and that’s quite a bit older than most kids. But I don’t think it will come to that. What part of the country are you in?

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭chooey

I'm in Dublin. What about you? Will def let you know, lets hope we're both sorted out soon!

I'm in Dublin. What about you? Will def let you know, lets hope we're both sorted out soon!

I’m Dublin too! Dublin south. Our boys may end up in the same school :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement