Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

which paint type for WWII camo with brushes?

• 22-10-2020 11:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭

Hi don't have an airbrush and don't intend to get one for a while.

However, I'm looking for ways and tips to blend camo colours on WWII tanks.

Enamel paints seem a bit more suitable for this but has more drawback with strong fumes and requires white spirits for cleaning the brushes too.

Re Acrylics well it seems there are a few types of Acrylics with different suitability, the tamiya ones seem in a league of their own while Heller, Italeri, valero etc seem quite similar.

Any tips/techniques you can share on successfully blending paints to make them look close to airbrushing for camo on WWII vehicles?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Count Down

Acrylics dry much faster than enamels, so when brush painting you have to constantly clean your brush otherwise it'll gum up.
    I prefer enamels for brush painting because I find they give better coverage. Sometimes you'll have to thin them slightly with white spirit. Yes, they give off a certain amount of fumes so make sure you have enough ventilation.
    Once you try airbrushing you'll never look back. It takes a bit of getting used to but when you master it it's well worth the effort and cost.
    Acrylics are best for airbrushing where their fast drying is an advantage, and lack of fumes.
    Best enamels are Humbrol, best acrylics are Revell Aqua color. Tamiya and Vallejo.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Count Down

Also, a soft-edged camo effect is much harder to achieve with brushes. Hard-edged is no problem, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Saint Ruth

Hi, here's a good tutorial on doing blended multi-coloured camo with a brush:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1W0w6ftzVXs

That method uses thinned enamels though (I use Humbrol enamel thinner).
    Not sure if can do it with acyrlics as they dry too quickly.

Advertisement