Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Staying in at lunch

• 21-11-2020 9:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Is this still a thing? My son (6th class) while learning a poem for homework mentioned they have to write it out three times at lunch if they get it wrong. I was a bit surprised that this is happening nowadays as they are so hot on being active etc.
    It jogged my memory of one poor sod in my class all those years ago. He seemed to be always in at lunch re-writing tests he got wrong (it happened myself a few times as well) . My son was struggling with this particular poem and just couldn't get it even though we spent 15-20 mins on it each night. It just made me think what if that poor sod in my class was putting in the effort but just couldn't remember or didn't have support at home.
    I know there's not much the teachers can do to ones who choose not to learn at home and so re-writing is a deterrent. It also hasn't done me any harm but still surprised it is still practiced. Now, I can't think of any alternative other than writing it at home instead of lunch. Does writing something as a punishment 3 times really make you learn?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Seems a bit harsh, especially if the child genuinely tried. My oldest is a bit younger. They definitely get kept in as a punishment for messing and genuine boldness, but I’ve never heard it used as a punishment for schoolwork related stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Garibaldi?

I don't recall anybody being deprived of lunch time in order to complete class work. Even in past times when routines were more draconian. If a pupil is being disruptive or troublesome at lunch-time they may be required to take time out from activities. Behavioural issues,. not incomplete homework. Writing out something several times is not generally regarded as helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,517 ✭✭✭Hoboo

I wouldn't have that, lunch is for lunch, and a break from the classroom.

Be better off finding out why he can't remember the poem or failed the test and address that than flogging him. Completely counterproductive, stand in the corner stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

Happened alot when I was a kid. You would hope things are different now

• Registered Users Posts: 20 MouldyApple

I presumed things had moved on too. I think I was surprised as my son's teacher is quite young also. I know my lad wouldn't learn anything he would just scribble it down as fast as he could to get out. Now, saying that my little darling might be exaggerating saying it's lunchtime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

I know alot of teachers do it if a child hasn't finished worksheets or other work ,
    It's that or send it home , which will likely bring similar complaints from parents ,
    I remember a teacher telling me one of mine would have to stay in for a few days during yard time due to being behind on a number work sheets ,
    It's one of them damned if they do and dammed if they don't for teachers ,
    they cant move on if one or more child is behind ,
    I'd give the benefit of doubt

• Registered Users Posts: 20 MouldyApple

I'd 100% agree if it's work not being completed by laziness, then by all means pull your finger out and do your work. I know mine had to stay in once last year because of it... it didn't happen again, he worked faster. This is more to do with putting in effort, getting something wrong and having to stay in. It was rivers and mountains for me, could never remember where.

I'm always 100% on teachers side other than 1 particular wagon. I don't envy their job.

I'm not going to say anything anyway I was just wondering did it still go on as the norm more so.

This would be a breach of policy in the Primary School. A pupil is entitled to a lunch break irrespective of homework issues. If the problem of incomplete homework were to continue the teacher would discuss possible solutions with the parent. Apart from that, a pupil should not be left unsupervised in the classroom while the others are in the yard. Should the pupil have an accident the school would be responsible There is no shadow of doubt about that.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Garibaldi? wrote: »
    This would be a breach of policy in the Primary School. A pupil is entitled to a lunch break irrespective of homework issues. If the problem of incomplete homework were to continue the teacher would discuss possible solutions with the parent. Apart from that, a pupil should not be left unsupervised in the classroom while the others are in the yard. Should the pupil have an accident the school would be responsible There is no shadow of doubt about that.

Actually , it comes down to the individual school policy . I’d presume the child is being supervised .There is no guidance as to how much “ break” a child is entitled to.
    But I don’t agree with shortening break times, either for the child or supervising teacher . A child would want to be seriously and continuously acting the maggot for this to happen , I’d hope .
    I’d talk to the teacher in the 1st instance ,even if they are acting within the agreed school policy .

Actually , it comes down to the individual school policy . I’d presume the child is being supervised .There is no guidance as to how much “ break” a child is entitled to.
    But I don’t agree with shortening break times, either for the child or supervising teacher . A child would want to be seriously and continuously acting the maggot for this to happen , I’d hope .
    I’d talk to the teacher in the 1st instance ,even if they are acting within the agreed school policy .

I would be very surprised if it were considered acceptable in any school to deprive a child of any part of lunch break in order to resolve this particular issue. There is now a huge emphasis on physical fitness and on the prevention of illnesses related to lack of sufficient exercise. It would be difficult to defend such an action unless on the grounds of disruptive/rough or anti-social behaviour in the yard. In the latter instance, a pupil is required to remain in a designated spot in the yard for some time and is then allowed to resume play. To be honest, I have never heard of a child being kept in a classroom in order to complete work. It would be viewed as inappropriate on many levels.

• Advertisement
Advertisement