Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

winding me up on computer

Options
  • 29-06-2020 7:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭

It is really starting to wind me up. The stupid thing that goes round and round while the computer is working - updating in particular. I have been sitting waiting for the update to finish, waiting, waiting, waiting - watching that stupid thing going round and round. You don't know how log you have to wait. What as happened to the old style time bar - at least you knew, more or less, how long the update was going to last.

In some cases, the update or other system work takes hours an there is stupid me sitting watching that circle going round and round - it could be hours.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Purgative

Get a new one with a solid state hard drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭campingcarist

Purgative wrote: »
    Get a new one with a solid state hard drive.

It's not the hard drive that is the problem, it's the update system - try installing windows 10. it takes ages and you have no ides how lon it will take.

I've had to install windows 3 times in the last month or so - the updates crashed the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Purgative

Sorry I read "the stupid thing that goes round and round" as the hard drive.

Solid State drives write quicker - is all.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,111 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Leave the computer on all night and schedule it to do updates at 2am.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭campingcarist

I'm on chemotherapy and Friday night, Saturday night and Sub=nday night I don't bother to go to bed for more than 2 hours. Instead I am on the computer watching this stupid circle going round nd round.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Installing Windows 10 is one of the least painful experiences ever in the history of Windows installation and only takes 15ish minutes tops to get the OS going on a half decent machine vs the half a day experience that was the likes of Win98 etc.

Having said that all my windows updates show a percentage complete indicator not that I ever watch it much as I usually opt to install updates as I go to bed. The missus has an older laptop running I think on a HDD and there can long waits for her.

Not that it helps much right now but one of the single best upgrades you can make is switching to an SSD if you don't have one. The benefits are legit.

Advertisement