Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Irish Composer supports funding etc?

• 18-01-2021 10:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭

hi guys,

i was wondering if anyone could offer some advice on this. i currently have a full time day job working in a large state company but on the side for the past 3 years i have started writing music for professional music publishers & Agencies based in the US who supply music to US television shows and Networks. its something that i would love to go for as a full time gig but the biggest thing holding me back is of course money. it take sometime to get to the point were you are earning enough money to support yourself as a full time gig but the biggest thing that helps achieve that is having more time to write and produce music which is difficult around a full time day job.

so my question is, are they any financial grants in Ireland open to Irish composers in this field?

also would a grant have to be your sole income hence i would have to give up the day job to be eligible for it?

my plan would be use the grant to allow me cut down my full time job to a 3 or 4 day week to allow me time to work on producing more music for my publishers with the eventual goal for it to become my sole career in a few years.

would love to hear from anyone who has gone down this path or is considering it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 michaeldu1

Hi Danny
    The chicken and egg situation that plagues many who want to pursue their dream, passion or purpose in life.
    While I acknowledge your perspective surrounding the financial aspect let me put some other thoughts to this.
    Suspend the financial side of this for a moment and let’s see, hear and feel it as it is.
    Let me ask you / how important to you is succeeding at this?
    What will life be like for you if you stay in your comfort zone and never pursue this purpose?
    What options have you got besides seeking financial aid?
    How creative can you get when seeking alternatives?
    What is more important- money or sacrifice?
    Which one of the above can you control today and tomorrow?
    Seeking a path towards your dream can be broad or narrow in terms of your approach.
    How much do you want this?
    And
    How much will you sacrifice to get it?

Walk on x

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭dannyc31

really great post thanks for your response. its definitely alot for me to consider.

outside of the financials i would say this is the one thing that gave me purpose in life. i often felt a bit lost in previous years and tried to fill the void through material things like expensive cars, drinking, nightclubs every weekend, expensive holidays and women. none of it was fulfilling and left me feeling empty. being creative in my chosen art is the only fulfillment i need these days but i still have it as a hobby. its just its getting to a stage were it could potentially be more so it would have to be a leap of faith to go for it full time and it might not work out. the security of not having regular income coming in is the part that scares me the most but that is something i guess you can plan for with things like a safety net etc.

i will defo be going for it in the next few years its just a matter of when and how. i would never live with myself with regrets on what if's.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 michaeldu1

Hi Danny
    It appears you got a lot of things out o your system in that previous life :) which was in itself necessary, as it brought you to this particular point in your journey.
    I wish you every success going forward and enjoy the rest of the journey!

Advertisement