Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Irish National Foresters

• 19-01-2019 5:54pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,300 Mod ✭✭✭✭

The 1919 death notice for one of mine describes him as a member of the Dr. Croke branch of the Irish National Foresters.
    The chap, based in Dublin but possibly from Wicklow, worked for W. H. Fletcher of Corporation Market, fruit merchants.

I haven't come across the Foresters before and I'm wondering is there anything I can infer from someones membership of the organisation.
    Also, would there be any records of same?

Genealogy Forum Mod

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

Hermy wrote: »
    The 1919 death notice for one of mine describes him as a member of the Dr. Croke branch of the Irish National Foresters.
    The chap, based in Dublin but possibly from Wicklow, worked for W. H. Fletcher of Corporation Market, fruit merchants.

I haven't come across the Foresters before and I'm wondering is there anything I can infer from someones membership of the organisation.
    Also, would there be any records of same?

They were a nationalist body, but not overtly political.

A sort of nationalist equivalent to the loyal orders in Ulster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

The only thing I would infer is financial prudence/responsibility and possibly a slight sympathy with (or tacit acceptance of ) the Nationalist cause. In that era the Foresters was primarily the equivalent of today’s Friendly Society, and its main purpose was to provide life, accident and sickness protection for its members, who paid their subscription every week and were able to claim when the need arose. They also had savings accounts.
    There is a lot online, including old B&W Pathe films of their parades in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Waitsian

Hi Hermy. I come from an area where there are still active branches of the Foresters - one in Camlough, and another in Newry. I don't know any members personally and tbh don't know much about them. I do recall band parades, as a teenage boy, in the 80s. I always thought they were a Catholic fraternal organization that had bars where you could buy cheap pints! :D

Would I be correct in saying they're not unlike the A.O.H? :confused:

I meant to add and forgot but we used to jokingly refer to them as Green Orangemen!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

mod9maple wrote: »
    Would I be correct in saying they're not unlike the A.O.H? :confused:

I meant to add and forgot but we used to jokingly refer to them as Green Orangemen!

The Foresters are non-sectarian, unlike the Orangemen and the AOH.

Some historic detail HERE from an Australian site

There are ten branches surviving in the Republic, now supervised and on the Register of Friendly Societies. The main branch (Reg. no. 504INF) appears to be in Co. Offaly, with a registered address at Church St, Tullamore. They might point to a Dublin contact.

Some interesting film clips
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UAVcV3jAjI
    https://www.britishpathe.com/video/irish-national-foresters-procession

More on a geno site HERE

(What genealogy makes nerds look up! :o )

Advertisement