Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Irish Rail jobs

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

Mate did on his laptop in his own place first she did it on a different laptop after him, both gave same answers she progressed he didn’t.

How did they both give the exact same answers?

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Rootsblower

Dunno that’s what my mate said “exact same answers” never even seen the questionnaire or any info pertaining to it so can’t shed any more light on my mates statement

BTW I understand the top rate of pay is advertised as €57000 this is incorrect it’s actually closer to €58400

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

As mentioned above, the test wasn't with IE it was with ESB, I took both tests one female and one male, female passed. In fact they phoned my GF a good few times for interview. I told her to go for it, but she wasn't as keen on it as me :pac:

I have no doubt other companies are doing the same.

If anything it shows, they are trying hard to get women into this positions but they just don't want the type of work.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

Hilly Bill wrote: »
    They don't have a leg to stand on seeing that they had no issues with the hiring of summer staff even at the time of pay issues. The union did zilch then so why are they getting involved now?  They are supposed to represent all members and not just drivers.

Why would they have issues with summer staff? Hiring of summer staff has been historically accepted by the unions and has happened for years bar a few years hiatus until about two years ago. There is no issue with general external recruitment, the issue is direct external recruitment to a particular position which has always been viewed as an aspirational position for existing staff. Apples and oranges.

They can still apply for it.  They already hired from within a while back and even advertised in Dublin bus and bus eireann. Some bus drivers have already expressed an interest in applying this time.

Different situation this time though.

I'd say it's just a few moaning heads who have no desire to apply anyway but and the union is stupidly listening to them.  It would be nice if they even bothered to send us out theses memos seeing that we pay the subs etc.

I don't work for your employer, nor am I a member of any union but I had the memo in my inbox in record time. Best make a complaint on that issue :)

Interestingly thus far only SIPTU have issued correspondence whilst the NBRU (in particular Dermot) have remained surprisingly quiet.

They would have to do that anyway to get the tests done. Mind you, some can't drive a broom properly never mind doing a test. If they have an issue with the tests then they aren't suited to the job.

Existing staff have never had to go through the OPC pre-qualification tests.

Yes they have to do the mini SCAAT, RAAT and LMSJT tests, but there is now an added layer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭Sono

Apologies if asked already but how long before people are hearing back after doing the online test?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

Sono wrote: »
    Apologies if asked already but how long before people are hearing back after doing the online test?

12 hours for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭IanVW

Anyone hear anything back after the 2nd online exams? Or will this take time?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭Sono

12 hours for me.

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

GM228 wrote: »
    Why would they have issues with summer staff? Hiring of summer staff has been historically accepted by the unions and has happened for years bar a few years hiatus until about two years ago. There is no issue with general external recruitment, the issue is direct external recruitment to a particular position which has always been viewed as an aspirational position for existing staff. Apples and oranges.

Different situation this time though.

I don't work for your employer, nor am I a member of any union but I had the memo in my inbox in record time. Best make a complaint on that issue :)

Interestingly thus far only SIPTU have issued correspondence whilst the NBRU (in particular Dermot) have remained surprisingly quiet.

Existing staff have never had to go through the OPC pre-qualification tests.

Yes they have to do the mini SCAAT, RAAT and LMSJT tests, but there is now an added layer.

It's no biggie, I've just done the first part of the test to see what it's like and it's just moving with the times that's all.
    It's simple but I'll let you know if i passed..

Wheety wrote: »
    How did they both give the exact same answers?

They cant unless they were coordinating it with 2 laptops etc.

• Advertisement

GAA Beo wrote: »
    It's very clear there is discrimination against men in this process, they want to hire any females regardless of test scores. They have made that very obvious, they even go over the top saying your gender is not relevant but clearly that is not what the HR woman on RTE said.

I would advise anyone applying from now on to not give their gender or PPS number. Even tick the female box and see how you get on. It's not fair but thats the way things are going in this country - no country for men anymore.

At what stage do they ask for your pps number?

It’s €2.80 per week.
    This gives you and your dependants unlimited GP cover.
    There are GPs listed in virtually all areas. Also if you have to go to the caredoc during out of hours you will be reimbursed.
    It’s a fantastic scheme in fairness.

I know, I'm in the scheme. It's not free though is it.

At what stage do they ask for your pps number?

Was on the personal information page on the 1st application and questions page

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

PPS numbers were incorrectly requested initially, no longer the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭topnotch

Sono wrote: »

For the second series of three tests?
    It allowed me until January 15th to submit mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭bizidea

Anyone know where you can find free sample tests

• Registered Users Posts: 3,505 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

I know, I'm in the scheme. It's not free though is it.

I never said it was.
    I was just offering up further information for some of your potential colleagues is all.

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭khaldrogo

GM228 wrote:
    PPS numbers were incorrectly requested initially, no longer the case.

I gave mine....ive nothing to hide

• Registered Users Posts: 7,522 ✭✭✭kingshankly

bizidea wrote: »
    Anyone know where you can find free sample tests

This tests are not run by Irish rail it’s an English crowd that’s doing them

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Willie Stroker 1976

Does anyone know the deadline for Applying?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Does anyone know the deadline for Applying?

14th of January

Anyone who didn’t make it through the first round could try their luck with this. :pac:
    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/jan/04/san-francisco-lighthouse-east-brother-light-station-job

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Staplor

Just wondering did anyone who gave their PPS No get through round 1?

I gave an obvious fake one and got through. They hardly cancelled everyone who gave a valid PPS did they???

I gave my pps number and got through. I don’t see how you expect to get a job if you lie in your application.

Gave mine and got through too

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Why would you lie, you would have noticed on the application questionnaire that a lot of the questions are aimed at finding out where your moral compass lies and how honest you are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭BlackandGreen

I answered stage one with safety & common sense as priority.
    I don't necessarily agree with the first stage acting as a filtering process because you'll get different kinds of people and I feel like the criteria for the answers may be too strict. I hope not though, surely there's a bit of give for answering honestly?

However I'm not going to pick a fight with my potential employer when I'm asking them to employ me. I work in the public sector at the moment that kind of attitude would totally go against your favour for the job.
    Best just follow their process and raise your issues with management once (if) you're actually permanently employed.

then again this isn't really IR's test is it. It's a UK company that seems to provide employment testing services for various UK and EU rail employers.

As for the stories with people being rejected just because they're male. They sound very anecdotal tbh and I somehow doubt that you're being rejected on those grounds yet. They didn't even ask for my gender until the very end of the test and even then it said you don't have to answer if you don't want, and that it will strictly be used for monitoring purposes.
    I doubt that the UK company have somebody assigned to remove candidates purely based on their gender?

Feel a bit hopeless after reading this thread but best of luck to all regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Think I might apply and see how far I get. Would be an excellent driver :D

It’s €2.80 per week.
    This gives you and your dependants unlimited GP cover.
    There are GPs listed in virtually all areas. Also if you have to go to the caredoc during out of hours you will be reimbursed.
    It’s a fantastic scheme in fairness.

Incredible scheme. Do they pay or offer general private health insurance?

• Advertisement

alane20 wrote: »
    For BE and DB drivers the incentive isnt huge, train driving is a highly romantic job, but its terribly boring, and drivers in IE are under severe pressure from middle management, whos justify their position by antagonising drivers, there is a black box in the train, it is constantly been monitored and drivers been pulled up on every little thing, plus no human contact for hours, staring at miles and miles of blank country side and track, while waiting for the next jumper to hop out Infront of you,

Plus as cie staff we carry our service over, but if we dont like it we can transfer back over, we carry our service over but come back as junior drivers, so all things considered the incentive isn't there for us,

The black box is there to ensure rules are been followed. Define little thing that they might check up on because the little thing could be a major thing if an accident happened.

When they have to issue a reminder about smoking in cabs and thats its prohibited then I think checking up on other things is fair gain. There was also something ages ago about the wrong cab been used for certain shunting movements.

Advertisement