Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Railfreight

• 10-07-2012 7:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭

Reports are that Ballina Waterford Port container trains may cease within weeks. A regretable development just when I was beginning to think that railfreight was making a resurgence. Between falling passenger numbers and this, IE are certainly facing challenges. Its getting to the stage when as a nation we are going to have to either opt into a standard european attitude of support towards railways by way of offering incentives to industry to use them or face the prospect of no freight, and settling for an inter-regional as distinct from inter-city, and a commuter railway in the vicinity of our large cities. The inter-city prospects are bleak in the face of faster or non-stop bus and car options on new motorways.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,956 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Who are your reports from? A man I was talking to yesterday said the complete opposite, don't ya know :)

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Rud

I have also heard about this.I heard that IWT will be getting all the business in Dublin port but i hope it's all rumours and doesn't come to fruition.If it does it will just leave the pulp timber freight on the Waterord line.Maybe part of the problem with the container trains is the amount of time it actually takes to get from Balina to Waterford especially with the loco runaround at Kildare and the single line from Kildare to Waterford

• Registered Users Posts: 78,240 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Rud wrote: »
    Maybe part of the problem with the container trains is the amount of time it actually takes to get from Balina to Waterford especially with the loco runaround at Kildare and the single line from Kildare to Waterford
    Largely irrelevant, all that really matters is whether it gets to the port in time for the sorting / handling and putting on the ship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Noted a spanking new sign at entrance of North Esk 'Aras Lasta/Freight Depot' lately.

Noted a spanking new sign at entrance of North Esk 'Aras Lasta/Freight Depot' lately.

There has been a Cork liner on the cards for some time now. Didn't hear word of it being reconnected to the mainline as of yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 Magpie1951

Lads I thought half the containers moved from Ballina to Waterford on DFDS liner were by Coca Cola to a distribution centre in Waterford rather than going on for export? This wouldn't add up if the reason for canceling was a change to Dublin port especially after the long battle with IE to install plugs in Ballina yard so they could have refridgerated containers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Magpie1951 wrote: »
    Lads I thought half the containers moved from Ballina to Waterford on DFDS liner were by Coca Cola to a distribution centre in Waterford rather than going on for export? This wouldn't add up if the reason for canceling was a change to Dublin port especially after the long battle with IE to install plugs in Ballina yard so they could have refridgerated containers!
    They wanted something as simple as power sockets in Ballina but IE won't provide them? That's Mad Ted!

foggy_lad wrote: »
    They wanted something as simple as power sockets in Ballina but IE won't provide them? That's Mad Ted!

Yep for some reason 45 euro power sockets seemed like a mammoth task but after two years of careful negotiation with IE's top experts in their railfreight and infastructure division this hhuuuuggggeeee engineering problem was solved;)

There is no power supply on board a liner train, Magpie, so if if is critical on a shunting yard, why isn't it critical in traffic?

There is no power supply on board a liner train, Magpie, so if if is critical on a shunting yard, why isn't it critical in traffic?
    It was critical for when the containers were sitting in the yard waiting for a liner to arrive or be unloaded before dispatch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭dowlingm

There was a note on IRN recently about the Eucon siding in North Wall NOT currently used for freight being renewed.

Magpie1951 wrote: »
    It was critical for when the containers were sitting in the yard waiting for a liner to arrive or be unloaded before dispatch.

But they'd still be on a liner for several hours without chilling. If it's that important then surely it would be done throughout the whole trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Sligo Quay

yachtsman wrote: »
    Reports are that Ballina Waterford Port container trains may cease within weeks. A regretable development just when I was beginning to think that railfreight was making a resurgence. Between falling passenger numbers and this, IE are certainly facing challenges. Its getting to the stage when as a nation we are going to have to either opt into a standard european attitude of support towards railways by way of offering incentives to industry to use them or face the prospect of no freight, and settling for an inter-regional as distinct from inter-city, and a commuter railway in the vicinity of our large cities. The inter-city prospects are bleak in the face of faster or non-stop bus and car options on new motorways.
    Its just Dublin Port is increasing in business at the expense of Waterford, I saw the DFDS 2weeks ago with only 2boxes on it in Kildare and the iwt from Dublin Port passing it by with 18full wagons, the customer in Ballina doesn't care what port is used as long as it gets its cargo, rumours now doing the rounds Eucon may re enter the railfreight market, they are based in Dublin Port, people on the ground or in the know don't waste their time discussing these issues on message boards, too busy living in the real world and getting on with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,984 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

i take it the loco run around at killdare is to do with the junction in that trains coming from ballina can't turn for waterford and trains coming from waterford can't turn for ballina?

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,984 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

their most lightly isn't a justification cost wise to install points to allow trains to run straight through without a loco run around?

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭kc56

their most lightly isn't a justification cost wise to install points to allow trains to run straight through without a loco run around?

Not just points but a direct curve like Lavistown or Limerick Junction would be required and that would cost several million. Not likely for a few freight trains.

Direct running to Dublin port is easier and is in place.

Loco run-arounds at Kildare take 20 -30 mins and finding slots that long can be difficult. They already use up to 4 a day (2xcontainer, 2x wood). Even now some passenger services are slightly delayed or have to use the loop instead of the direct line.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭yachtsman

Unfortunately your man was wrong Losty. Waterford Ballina container trains are finished for the timebeing. They were resurrected once before so lets not be over pessimistic. I understand the customer had no issues with travel times. It has more to do with alteration to shipping arrangements in the Port. The critical issue now is that IE do not plonk a few stoppers at the end of the platforms at Plunkett and start chopping connections into Bellview.

Sligo Quay - not sure why your shot about people on/not on messageboards was necessary, after all you're here yourself, bit of a clown statement bro.

In relation to the discussion above, a direct curve from Portarlington side around towards Athy would be the best option but the motorways make it a tight proposition. The turnaround at Kildare also facilitates loco swapping so eliminating it might have some crewing implications.

My preference would be to extend the 3-tracking in Kildare all the way to Cherryville Junction as that would benefit other services in creating timetable flexibility other than freight and Waterford-LTC movements, such as an ex-Waterford passenger or freight being able to pull onto the mainline and into Kildare Station instead of waiting for a Cork express to pass.

EDIT: any word on Coillte? Possible we might see additional timber in the freight slots?

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Sligo Quay

dowlingm wrote: »
    Sligo Quay - not sure why your shot about people on/not on messageboards was necessary, after all you're here yourself, bit of a clown statement bro.
    I simply making the point, whats really happening on the ground within circles you won't read it on messages boards, I know trust me, yes I am here, but I don't post all I know, Im not going to blow my cover;) its not the first you'v had a go at me here on boards.ie
    Anyway back on discussion, I hear within circles, yes the dfds has been suspended, food tanks for coca cola is now being handled by iwt, its amazing who you meet in the pubs around Dublin Port, its an education, certainly not clowns, I try and ride both horses, can be differcult when you get slagged off by clowns;):rolleyes::eek:

• Advertisement

clowns
    Knock it off.

dowlingm wrote: »

My preference would be to extend the 3-tracking in Kildare all the way to Cherryville Junction as that would benefit other services in creating timetable flexibility other than freight and Waterford-LTC movements, such as an ex-Waterford passenger or freight being able to pull onto the mainline and into Kildare Station instead of waiting for a Cork express to pass.

Not sure how that would work. A passenger train from Waterford still has to cross both the down and up lines to reach the up platform in Kildare so it would still have to wait for the passing Cork train. Unless, of course, Kildare station was re-designed with extra platforms.
    Freight trains normally stop on the up track so same applies. Can't see how a 3rd track from Cherryville to Kildare would help.

But they'd still be on a liner for several hours without chilling. If it's that important then surely it would be done throughout the whole trip.
    I'd say they could use 201 HEP except some of the 201s used for freight are there for a rest from that :D

kc56 - true but it wouldn't be stuck at Cherryville waiting - it could head in for Kildare at reduced speed and then change tracks in the station approaches. Doesn't eliminate all the issues - nothing short of a flying junction would and that ain't happening - but it *might* do enough to give some added flex to timetabling to get punctuality up and timetable padding reduced.

If money was to be spent at Kildare, which it won't, I'd much rather see a 3rd platform to avoid the musical tracks that the commuter trains have to do as they turn back at Kildare. Kildare has 3 tracks but only 2 platforms. A 3rd platform, on a the mainline, would enable more commuter trains to terminate there and also avoid intercities having to enter the loop to stop at the up platform. Unfortunately there's not a lot of room for such a development and major disruption during construction would be hard to avoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭davidlacey

What are the chances of new freight flows happening in the next few years or is it all hope is lost sort of thing with belview potentially finished , sligo empty,tivoli, limerick etc.... Do the fright operators actively have to contact IE or are IE looking for more business?

Im only new to this board and i'd say this has been debated a million times but with the suspension of services of DFDS liners I think its timely that this debate crops up again and with only 3 freight flows left in a country that once had many, what or how long left does rail freight have in modern Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

A future? Perhaps yes, but this would be conditional on government and Irish rail stimulus of the industry. Rail doesn't serve every mass industrial location in the country, and in most cases it is simply easier to transport by road rather than rail.

Geography doesn't really help Ireland - we're too small, and with most loads the proposed benefits of rail freight (less manpower, taking trucks off the road etc) are negated by the flexibility of roads. The lack of mass heavy industry here doesn't help - we're fast becoming a knowledge economy rather than a heavy industry one.

Without stimulus or intervention the rail freight situation will likely enter a slow decline and may cease altogether in the medium - long term

davidlacey wrote: »
    Im only new to this board
    pro tip: before creating a new thread see if there's one on the same topic. Just a suggestion.

IE seem to find it more profitable to outsource the hassle of getting clients to freight forwarders, since they assume most of the risk in chartering trains, although there is still a cost to IE in retaining the capability to operate.

The one flow that seems to be on the table is a possible exploitation of the ore field at Pallasgreen, the question is though where would it ship to. Local interests would say Foynes but that's a big ask. Cork would clog up the mainline with 50mph trains and there seems to be resistance to reinstating a spur to Tivoli for some reason. The one that makes sense to me is Waterford but "rationalisation" won't help there, plus there would be a question about whether Cahir and other overbridges would be able to take a regular visit from trains that heavy.

• Advertisement

i have to say considering i'm youngish, i would not remember many of the freight flows, however i'm not that young to remember cement, shale, beer, ammonia workings, and i look back with nostalgia. I believe the railway has good links to the ports but it looks as though the only port that is really up to much is Dublin and not much else is happening in Waterford or Cork. Alot of questions around this subject seem to be more hypothetical rather than actual fact as the information in regards to IE in workings on freight can only be seen by their actions rather than words but would love to see some good news on the freight side of things not just for the sake of its future but as a rail enthusiast too

Advertisement