Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Uploading DNA results to My Living DNA - Safe?

• 15-01-2019 1:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭

I got a gift of a DNA kit from AncestryDNA. The results came in, and to be honest there's no info there at all, so I am unwilling to pay for their subscription until I see something that may make it worthwhile.
    I have since learned the FindMyPast may be the better site in Ireland as they have apparently got a much larger database and better information (I don't know how true this is).

So I went to the findmypast website and found that I can upload my results to My Living DNA - https://my.livingdna.com/
    AncestryDNA seemed to be a bit of a scam, and after reading trustpilot reviews I am even more convinced.

Are mylivingdna similarly poor?
    Trustpilot reviews are also terrible, but I have not purchased a kit from them, I would just like to upload my results to the FindMyPast website.
    They just seem to be gathering data for free (Getting paid in many instances).
    To be honest, I have kind of been turned off the whole thing at this point, but would like to try FindMyPast as a last ditch effort for any information, but will avoid if they are just another company with their hand out demanding payment before I get any information (other than 5th cousins in America).

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Ok, first thing to say - read some of our basic stickies and other threads on DNA testing. DNA tests are a tool to help you use the traditional genealogical records. FMP probably has the largest collection of Irish records at the moment but to cover all the bases, you need to use a combination of FMP, Ancestry, Familysearch, Irishgenealogy.ie (both free) and Rootsireland.

Ancestry - nothing there? I'm not sure what you were expecting.
    There should be an ethnicity result and matches (which are the main reason to test). Yes, more difficult to employ the full power of Ancestry if you don't have a subscription. If you never had one before, then avail of the 2 week free trial, just remember to cancel before it ends.

Living DNA - at the moment, they are useless. I gave them my sample in October 2017 and have some basic ethnicity results. Apparently, they are adding new people into their matching system every two weeks at present. They're not a scam but I wouldn't be bothered uploading your Ancestry results.

Very important to note that there's no need to do another test anywhere - you can download your raw data and upload to FTDNA, Gedmatch.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Actually, this thread prompted me to check on my Living DNA results. I do have a match now. I know the person and he's my third cousin. Living DNA estimates he's a 5th cousin.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Thanks, It wasn't that I thought they were/are a scam, just that the reviews are very one sided and had me doubting.

I was expecting something on ancestry. Anything :o.
    I haven't tried the free trial yet, was hoping to get some more information before trying that, but I will.

I'll also check out the stickies and the other sites, thanks.
    I'll look at Gedmatch and FTDNA.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,299 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Suckit wrote: »
    The results came in, and to be honest there's no info there at all...

When you say no info what do you mean?

Genealogy Forum Mod

Hermy wrote: »
    When you say no info what do you mean?

On ancestry DNA site, A 5th-6th cousin with medium probability (USA) and a 4th-5th cousin with medium probability (Sweden).
    I guess I was hoping for more results. Probably after seeing their adverts or TV programmes if I'm honest :D.

I thought once the results came back they would show some sort of map (not the beta map).

To be honest, the more I type, the less I am sure exactly of what I was expecting, just more than what I got. But I am looking forward to looking up the suggestions by pinkypinky above. I am home now for the evening so going to start by uploading the raw data to those two sites and creating accounts on the others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,517 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

pinkypinky wrote: »
    Actually, this thread prompted me to check on my Living DNA results. I do have a match now. I know the person and he's my third cousin. Living DNA estimates he's a 5th cousin.

As several recent media cases have highlighted, this can have an impact on close relatives, if the have left DNA at crime scenes, not says this might impact your family, but others might worry about it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,299 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

On ancestry DNA site, A 5th-6th cousin with medium probability (USA) and a 4th-5th cousin with medium probability (Sweden).

I thought you meant something else by no info.
    Just the two matches is a poor return all right.

Genealogy Forum Mod

As several recent media cases have highlighted, this can have an impact on close relatives, if the have left DNA at crime scenes, not says this might impact your family, but others might worry about it.

Er, what?

I'm well aware of the recent cases.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭srmf5

I guess I was hoping for more results. Probably after seeing their adverts or TV programmes if I'm honest :D.

I thought once the results came back they would show some sort of map (not the beta map).

To be honest, the more I type, the less I am sure exactly of what I was expecting, just more than what I got. But I am looking forward to looking up the suggestions by pinkypinky above. I am home now for the evening so going to start by uploading the raw data to those two sites and creating accounts on the others.

I'm guessing you have more than just two matches in total though right? Most people get loads of matches. Are you sure your results were with AncestryDNA? They don't report matches as 5th-6th cousins or 4th-5th cousins. They report matches as 4th-6th cousins and 5th-8th cousins.

What was your ethnicity estimate out of curiosity? This should be presented as a map like the one I've attached.

Their advertising matches what you get in that you get an ethnicity estimate, including a map, and DNA matches.

You are correct it is 4th - 6th cousins. No two results in total. I think we just assumed the USA relatives were more distant after speaking with my aunt.
    But today I logged in and there were 3 more one 'Very High' and '54 cM across 6 segments' all are in 4th - 6th cousins.
    So maybe more will appear?
    My map says 100% Ireland and Scotland :o But doesn't have any Scottish :D
    https://snag.gy/pA9bga.jpg

• Advertisement

You are correct it is 4th - 6th cousins. No two results in total. I think we just assumed the USA relatives were more distant after speaking with my aunt.
    But today I logged in and there were 3 more one 'Very High' and '54 cM across 6 segments' all are in 4th - 6th cousins.
    So maybe more will appear?
    My map says 100% Ireland and Scotland :o But doesn't have any Scottish :D
    https://snag.gy/pA9bga.jpg

That's very strange that you only have three matches. I have 580 pages of matches and since there's 50 matches per page, that gives me 29,000 matches with the first 8 pages (400 matches) all ranging from my mum to 4th-6th cousins.

To me, that seems like some sort of error on Ancestry's part but maybe if you just received these results, the rest of your matches will come in with time. Maybe they released your ethnicity estimate before having all your matches ready or something like that.

For you to be placed in three genetic communities, I would have thought that you would have needed lots of matches who were also a part of these communities. For example, I have a 'very likely connection' to 'North Connacht', 'West Roscommon & East Mayo', and 'West Roscommon, East Mayo & North Galway' because I have over 1,000 matches in all of these communities. 'South Sligo & North Roscommon' is only a 'possible connection' because I only have 871 matches in that community (<1000).

With regards to the map, the Ireland and Scotland region does extend into most of Scotland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Just 3, I have 8,500 matches at MyHeritage DNA (I take them with a grain of salt).

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭upupup

Are you worried about something?

Ipso wrote: »
    Just 3, I have 8,500 matches at MyHeritage DNA (I take them with a grain of salt).
    :eek::eek::eek::eek:

My mother logged in last night and she texted me this morning that there are more people in it now. She said about 10 - 14..
    I think she meant extra, as she wasn't sure how many were there after the last day. I'm going to check it when I get home, hopefully more added then too. But I doubt it will be 8,500 :D, but at least more appearing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Tombom1

You cant upload to Ftdna if you done an ancestrydna test recently as there is a new version or something ,works find with gedmatch though.

Is it worth uploading my raw dna to my heritage ,what can I see without paying?
    I heard my heritage dont take much care of the data. they got hacked or something? do they sell anonymised dna like 23andme?

Is there a V3 of the Ancestry test already?

This link suggests they can't take 23andme but can take Ancestry V1 and V2.

My Heritage gives matches, chromosome browser and has a good triangulation tool. You don't need the record matches that come with the subscription - and they're not very accurate for Ireland. Smart matches where it scans names in trees and compares with people in your matches are a subscriber benefit.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Tombom1 wrote: »
    You cant upload to Ftdna if you done an ancestrydna test recently as there is a new version or something ,works find with gedmatch though.

Is it worth uploading my raw dna to my heritage ,what can I see without paying?
    I heard my heritage dont take much care of the data. they got hacked or something? do they sell anonymised dna like 23andme?

Not sure about hacking but I don’t trust their results past a certain relatedness.

Is there a V3 of the Ancestry test already?

This link suggests they can't take 23andme but can take Ancestry V1 and V2.

My Heritage gives matches, chromosome browser and has a good triangulation tool. You don't need the record matches that come with the subscription - and they're not very accurate for Ireland. Smart matches where it scans names in trees and compares with people in your matches are a subscriber benefit.

Im not sure ,there are a lot of us who've got ancestrydna test and cant seem to upload it to ftdna even with mapmy23 tool so maybe its just something on ftdna part gone wrong.

The tree matching thing is nice I guess. Can you message dna matches and view shared matches and all that without the subscription.I have a lot of 4th cousin matches but no close matches bar 3 inactive 2nd cousins on ancestry so Im tempted to try it.

Ipso wrote: »
    Not sure about hacking but I don’t trust their results past a certain relatedness.

how far ? do they use 6cM segments like ancestry or lower?

Yes, I think you can but I have a subscription, so not certain.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement

Tombom1 wrote: »
    how far ? do they use 6cM segments like ancestry or lower?

Not entirely sure, but I have a lot of matches that they say are low confidence.
    They tend to show 0.1% shared DNA.
    At 23andme I have 1,400 matches, 3,300 at FTDNA and MyHeritage has me at 8,500
    I have a hard time believing they were able to get 8,500 from those two companies and Ancestry.

With MyHeritage, I have 4,793 matches (a lot less than Ancestry where there's 29,110 but more than FTDNA where there's 2,650) with the second lowest match and I sharing 8 cM. The odd thing is my lowest match appears as estimated relationship 'not related' so I'm not sure why they're appearing as match. It shows some shared matches with him anyway.

If you upload now, I think there's limited access to matches. The information is here: https://blog.myheritage.com/2018/12/free-dna-uploads-deadline-extended/
    Prior to December 2018, you could have full access to matches and ethnicity estimate for free.

I have also found that recent Ancestry results can't be uploaded to FTDNA. I couldn't upload one of my relatives recently.

You might share an identical by accident region with that person.

Good to know about FTDNA no longer having the same chip as Ancestry. Gedmatch is still our friend.
    I am waiting on results on a paternal 1C1R on FTDNA - then I have one of each for each side of my parents' cousins done. Hoping to use them to create some lazarus kits.

Genealogy Forum Mod

I am home now for the evening so going to start by uploading the raw data to those two sites and creating accounts on the others.

I uploaded the Raw data to GEDMatch on that evening (15/01/2019) and I am waiting.
    Just out of curiosity, how long to wait on average, before I can use it?
    I have tried a couple of the tutorials (mainly Kitty Cooper slide), but they don't work, I am guessing it's because my "DNA Resources" still have an Asterisk.

Kits marked with [SIZE=+2]*[/SIZE] have not been tokenized and have not completed batch processing

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

You shouldn't be waiting that long. If I were you, I would delete it and re-upload.

Yeah, sounds like something went wrong.

Genealogy Forum Mod

spurious wrote: »
    You shouldn't be waiting that long. If I were you, I would delete it and re-upload.
    Yeah, sounds like something went wrong.
    I deleted it and uploaded it tonight. Worked straight away!! :o
    The green 1..2..3..4..5 etc.
    went straight away tonight, but the last time it was doing it for ages.

I'm on Genesis now (wasn't before, had a big warning page about Genesis).

I've just tried the Eurogene K15 and hunter gatherer. Worked perfectly. :)

But no idea really what it's showing me yet (percentage of ancestry).

Thanks.

Probably will take a day or two to get your matches list. I haven't seen the genesis version yet.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement