Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Great Railway Journeys on CIE

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

L1011 wrote: »
    Realistically, paper timetables are used by an extremely small number of people from a few specific cohorts at this stage. There is a reason airlines stopped doing them - as have most private bus operators.

There are far more pressing issues with Irish Rail and of the potential problems I wouldn't see paper timetables as being worth a second of effort.

Perhaps you should contact Wexford Bus and let them know as it would save them time and money getting timetables printed? It's called marketing.

I recently met visitors in Enniscorthy waiting for the bus to Wexford - the hotel that they were staying in only had bus information - and they were disappointed when I explained that there was a train that they could have got and that the journey was far more scenic.

As for timetables not being important in the overall scheme of things on Irish Rail, that's the problem, nothing is important in CIE/IE that's why we have the ongoing crisis.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭rebel456

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Perhaps you should contact Wexford Bus and let them know as it would save them time and money getting timetables printed? It's called marketing.

I recently met visitors in Enniscorthy waiting for the bus to Wexford - the hotel that they were staying in only had bus information - and they were disappointed when I explained that there was a train that they could have got and that the journey was far more scenic.

As for timetables not being important in the overall scheme of things on Irish Rail, that's the problem, nothing is important in CIE/IE that's why we have the ongoing crisis.

I agree with you that IR should be providing timetables for services, especially the Wexford line as it doesn't exactly carry much services anyway. No harm printing a nice glossy timetable like Wexford Bus as you mention. Many tourist folks and those not as technologically literate do rely on having a printed timetable.

The hotel does seem a bit lazy too. I've worked in hospitality, from a smallish 4 star place to a plush 5 star. Any hotel worth its salt will have transport information for guests. Even a few printed versions of the PDF timetable you can get online. Especially working on the front desk they should have that info to hand - or at least take a few seconds to Google for guests that ask.

Returning to this subject and the Rosslare service yet again - I promise to branch out soon! :D

Yesterday saw me travelling to Ballinteer and back via the Rosslare train and No.75 bus. a pleasant and uneventful journey to Dun Laoghaire and then off to catch the bus.

D%2527laire%2BStn.jpg

Outside the station on Crofton Road is the terminus of the 75 route. The sign outside the station sets the tone of what you can expect on the maintenance side from Irish Rail - really, how long has it been like this? Grafitti and a number of 1916 Proclamation posters stuck to the first thing greets you as you approach the station. Copy of this being sent to the CEO of IE later today.

D%2527Laire%2BBus%2Bshelter.jpg

The bus shelter and seating area (not sure who is responsible for it) should only be approached wearing a hazmat suit. Absolutely disgusting and my pic doesn't do justice to how awful it is. I don't even know what constitutes the slime but it looks like a job for ghostbusters. Copy of this pic on its way to Dublin Bus later.

Both pics illustrate what Sir Peter Parker - a former chairman of BR - once described as 'the crumbling edge of quality' and it's symptomatic of the malaise affecting much of CIE's operations.

On the return rail journey, the annoying announcements seemed to have been reduced but this varies depending on what set you are travelling in. At Wicklow we were informed of a bridge strike at Rathnew and that we would be held pending a line inspection. Regular, apologetic updates from the driver ensured that everybody was kept happy and after a short delay we continued on our way. Well done to all concerned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Returning to this subject and the Rosslare service yet again - I promise to branch out soon! :D

Yesterday saw me travelling to Ballinteer and back via the Rosslare train and No.75 bus. a pleasant and uneventful journey to Dun Laoghaire and then off to catch the bus.

Outside the station on Crofton Road is the terminus of the 75 route. The sign outside the station sets the tone of what you can expect on the maintenance side from Irish Rail - really, how long has it been like this? Grafitti and a number of 1916 Proclamation posters stuck to the first thing greets you as you approach the station. Copy of this being sent to the CEO of IE later today.

The bus shelter and seating area (not sure who is responsible for it) should only be approached wearing a hazmat suit. Absolutely disgusting and my pic doesn't do justice to how awful it is. I don't even know what constitutes the slime but it looks like a job for ghostbusters. Copy of this pic on its way to Dublin Bus later.

Both pics illustrate what Sir Peter Parker - a former chairman of BR - once described as 'the crumbling edge of quality' and it's symptomatic of the malaise affecting much of CIE's operations.

On the return rail journey, the annoying announcements seemed to have been reduced but this varies depending on what set you are travelling in. At Wicklow we were informed of a bridge strike at Rathnew and that we would be held pending a line inspection. Regular, apologetic updates from the driver ensured that everybody was kept happy and after a short delay we continued on our way. Well done to all concerned.

Someone actually mentioned this on a Dun Laoghaire group on Facebook recently saying they complained to the council and asked them to hose the place down, the council's reponse was that they wouldn't hose it down due to the water crisis.

The council are responsible for the shelter area in front of the station it's not an official DB bus stop. The official DB bus stop that is there has out of use for the last 7 or 8 years it should be removed but it is still providing ad revenue for DB and JCDecaux.

DL station has been bad for quite some time now. I seem to remember there used to be toilets there which were absolutely disgusting and the lifts are also in a bad way. It hasn't had a lick of paint or been given any sort of deep clean since they did up when they built the new ferry terminal which is over 20 years now at this stage.

Re: Dun Laoghaire, and still no reply to my letter of 24th August and the offending posters, graffiti and filth still present. Another letter and email on their way today.

• Advertisement

A polite letter received from the CEO on the 28th September but I didn't get a chance to view the results until last Friday. The strangely designed station entrance had been repainted and looked a lot better but had already had a new flyer stuck to it. Meanwhile, the public seating area is still best avoided - perhaps it is a demarcation dispute between IE/Dublin Bus and DLRCC? A minor victory. :)

D%2527Laire%2BFaded.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,667 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

A polite letter received from the CEO on the 28th September but I didn't get a chance to view the results until last Friday. The strangely designed station entrance had been repainted and looked a lot better but had already had a new flyer stuck to it. Meanwhile, the public seating area is still best avoided - perhaps it is a demarcation dispute between IE/Dublin Bus and DLRCC? A minor victory. :)

D%2527Laire%2BFaded.jpg

You should write back and tell him get the boys to do it properly!

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    You should write back and tell him get the boys to do it properly!

Do what properly?

Do what properly?

The painting...

The painting...

Why don't you read what I write rather than looking to pick a row or be smart with every reply to anything that I post? I don't know why I bother replying to you - I did not say it hadn't been painted properly.

• Advertisement

At the risk of provoking others here, I return to the Rosslare line again.

Several recent trips over the Christmas period from both Enniscorthy and Connolly were notable for their overcrowding and general lack of proper cleaning. Seats covered in crumbs, litter on floors starting out from Connolly on Christmas Eve (18.38) - despite the set being away from the platform for servicing i.e. plenty of time for someone with a battery Dyson to do a good job.

ENNISCORTHY%2BFINAL.gif

That morning setting out from Enniscorthy all the lights on the little-used Up platform blazing away - multiply this across the system and that's some waste of electricity. Also in use at stations across the country are privately operated baited rodent traps - completely futile in most places especially Enniscorthy which is adjacent to the river and, in any event, has no area that can be penetrated by same rodents. A nice little earner for the contractor!

Grafitti has just started to rear its head in the station and God only knows what it will be like once the place is unmanned.

No timetables, poor and all as they are, for weeks now according to the staff but CIE in their wisdom have a nice stack of cards promoting the Samaritans - is there a message here for their beleaguered passengers?

Image%2B%25283%2529.jpg

This morning left my eldest son to the 8.06am service to Connolly - a miserable 2900 series railcar instead of an ICR.

This afternoon arrived at the station for the 13.41 service to Connolly. No driver showed up at Rosslare and the train eventually arrived at Enniscorthy at 15.00 - a mere 85 minutes late! A lot of passengers had in the meantime headed off for the bus, or cancelled their plans, and judging by the numbers on the train when it arrived at Enniscorthy many must have done the same in Wexford.

So, there we are, another day in the destruction of what was once a well used rail service but what the hell....... :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

They've basically left the service to rot until they shut it down altogether. It's incredibly sad and disappointing. We should be protesting over this. It's simply unacceptable.

Dun Laoghaire and Connolly again today. Glad to see that the exterior of Dun Laoghaire remains clean but as for the DART units themselves. :eek:

I was in Connolly for the 16.36 to Rosslare Harbour and saw at least 6 individual carriage units that should not have been in service as it gives the oxygen of publicity to the worthless little scrotes who do this sort thing and invites copycats.

Below is one example and is far from the worst one seen today. One unit had a complete side in silver - could have been Amtrak.

More letters will be penned to many people.

DART%2Bdefaced%2B1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Have seen a number of Dart units lately sporting graffiti. Have IE laxed their policy about not running trains with graffiti. I saw an 8500 with graffiti the full carriage height and that has been going around nearly a month I'd say at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

There was a 2900 with one coach totally covered with paint from top to bottom, mostly silver, the windows completely covered.

While not condoning robbers, at least they have some logic to their crimes. Graffiti painters have no such motivation, they are entirely out to cause damage and upset law abiding people. The lash and plenty of it, is the only thing such people understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭IE 222

Is there a hotspot were this is happening. Surely better security practices could catch these in the act as im sure it takes a considerable amount of time to complete a whole Dart carriage.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭SeanW

It's part of a wider problem. Yes, security could observe the little scrotes, but if security laid a hand on them the scrotes could claim that their rights were violated, disproportionate force and so on. And in any criminal case, some Free Legal Aid lawyer would claim that their client had a hard life or some such nonsense, and the scrotes would get the Probation Act. It's almost pointless with this kind of nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,741 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

tabbey wrote: »
    There was a 2900 with one coach totally covered with paint from top to bottom, mostly silver, the windows completely covered.

While not condoning robbers, at least they have some logic to their crimes. Graffiti painters have no such motivation, they are entirely out to cause damage and upset law abiding people. The lash and plenty of it, is the only thing such people understand.

Their motivation is akin to a dog pissing to mark it's territory.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Time for a bit of the electric fence, completely legal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭IE 222

Time for a bit of the electric fence, completely legal

Secretly electrify the rails at night and be done with them completely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Stephen15 wrote: »
    Have IE laxed their policy about not running trains with graffiti. I saw an 8500 with graffiti the full carriage height and that has been going around nearly a month I'd say at this stage.

I think it's just getting done too often these days. Too many trains to take out of service. I can't understand why they can't do a quick acetone job so it's at least not identifiable. Denying what the painters are out to get in the first place.
    Then finish the cleaning job at a more convenient time.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭XPS_Zero

SeanW wrote: »
    It's part of a wider problem. Yes, security could observe the little scrotes, but if security laid a hand on them the scrotes could claim that their rights were violated, disproportionate force and so on. And in any criminal case, some Free Legal Aid lawyer would claim that their client had a hard life or some such nonsense, and the scrotes would get the Probation Act. It's almost pointless with this kind of nonsense.

The problem is the courts won't punish them in any way or in a way that might prevent repeat offending.

Just to clear up a few things, cos I see people afraid to stand up for themselves all the time due to our insane justice system:

In fact legally anyone (security included) can make an arrest as long as they have observed someone breaking the law (no, you don't have to read them rights), again until they can be handed over to the cops (if you just suspect them of doing something and detain them that's unlawful detention and a serious crime in itself only the cops have that power).

You may use force to effect this arrest but only force that is 'reasonable in the circumstances' ie enough to stop them getting away ie restrain them don't beat them, when they are restrained don't hit them again.

I have seen 1-2 situations on the news where a Garda was struggling with someone and losing, you are allowed (though not required) to assist a police officer in making a lawful arrest, and you are allowed help them if they are being attacked just as you are any other person you see being assaulted. Again force used has to be proportionate to the situation. ie if the guys struggling to shove the cop aside to get up and run you can help pin him down, you can't grab a brick and smack him in the skull with it.
    It's really common sense kinda stuff there is no actual definition of reasonable force etc they leave it up to the jury or the DPP if they wanna take the case against you at all, and they'll go with common sense you'd have to really go over the top to get yourself in trouble.

It is 100% legal to use (reasonable, proportionate) force to prevent or halt any crime including property damage, theft, assault and trespass.

Technically (and ridiculously) you still have a 'duty to retreat' under many circumstances if you are attacked on the street rather than staying and defending yourself but it's not likley a jury would convict you for not doing so in this country.

The rules protecting your own dwelling are totally different (since a new law in 2011) than all of the above ^.
    There is no duty to retreat inside ones own home or if you are staying in someone elses with their consent. You can use whatever force you think necessary against an intruder, the reasonable force thing still applies but with a massive loophole, the force has to be reasonable "in the circumstances as he/she believes them to be". In other words if you honestly think your life or a family member or guests life is in danger you can use lethal force.
    This means that while you don't have carte blanche, you have huge flexibility. A jury can't rule that your belief was not justified (ie if them or the judge thinks your assessment of the danger was wrong, that's their opinion they can't base a decision on it) but they can decide that you are lying in saying that your belief was honestly held.

For example if you are a 6ft rugby player who hits the gym for an hour a day and the intruder is a 15 year old skinny skanger with no weapon and you whack him over the head with a baseball bat and kill him instead of tying him up....that's gonna be considered excessive force.

But unless the power dynamic is that blatantly one sided you are pretty much fine. After the McNally case (during which Juries won the right to ignore judges directions and vote someone not guilty on the spirit of the law even if they were so on the letter of the law: called jury nullification and with a very mixed history)
    the juries look at this stuff with no real sympathy for intruders.

Under this new law an intruder can't sue you (it was absurd they ever could), they can't claim a defense saying they were drunk or high and would never have been breaking in otherwise therefore they were an innocent and you the aggressor (all excuses that, amazingly, worked before). Their age is also irrelevant in weither you may use force on them.

My eldest was planning to visit me last week and wanted to check out train times and this is what he found when I directed him to the Iarnrod Eireann timetable pages: http://www.irishrail.ie/media/08_dublin-rosslare_2.pdf

It was like that when I visited the site about a fortnight ago and it's still like it today - blank. No need for paper timetables at all. :rolleyes:

My eldest was planning to visit me last week and wanted to check out train times and this is what he found when I directed him to the Iarnrod Eireann timetable pages: http://www.irishrail.ie/media/08_dublin-rosslare.pdf

It was like that when I visited the site about a fortnight ago and it's still like it today - blank. No need for paper timetables at all. :rolleyes:

Remove the -2 from your link, website showing the PDF.

http://www.irishrail.ie/media/08_dublin-rosslare.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭topnotch

I spotted a certain brightly coloured gentleman doing a spot of filming this afternoon not too far from Limerick Junction. :pac:

Remove the -2 from your link, website showing the PDF.

http://www.irishrail.ie/media/08_dublin-rosslare.pdf

That's very interesting but how should I know to do that when I click on IE's site link and it takes me to the blank page?

I forgot to mention, I reported the glitch to IE as well and it has now been fixed.

Forgot to mention, I noticed one of the ‘new' Customer Reps on the Rosslare train a couple of weekends back but I may have missed him in the past as the individual wore nothing to differentiate him from any other CIE worker. Apart from a pointless announcement in Connolly about how the train was going to be very busy and not to have bags on seats (it was the Down evening train with hardly a soul onboard), there was no evidence of his presence. After Gorey what passes for cleaning on the train took place – an IE employee with a black refusack and pan/broom traversed the length of the train. Rediscover the Joy of the Train!

Yes, it's me again and guess what, I was on the Rosslare line again. Anyway, Friday was a nice day for a trip on the line and all was well on the Dublin (Dun Laoghaire) leg of the journey - save for the 75 bus taking as long to get from Dun Laoghaire to Ballinteer as the journey from Enniscorthy to Dun Laoghaire. More to do with it being a Friday afternoon than anything else.

However, the return leg proved more irritating with the ATM at Ballally Luas Stop taking my money and not giving me a ticket or a refund. Anyway, eventually Connolly was reached with less than ten minutes to spare before the 18.35 southbound train for Wexford. I had a return ticket but try as I might I was unable to get two different machines to accept either of two €50 notes to buy my son an Open Return.

Panic began to set in as there's now no longer a manned ticket office but after much searching for change I was able to get a machine to accept the €13 that I could muster in change for a Child Single. I had intended to get him an Open Return for €18! So maximum stress plus a whopping extra payment that wasn't part of the plan. Surely it's not beyond the wit of CIE to have even one manned ticket counter in one of the busiest stations in the country?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Do they seriously not have a ticket office open at Connolly? Are they for real? Unbelievable!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,641 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The manned ticket office has been moved, the signs telling you that are quite poor. Its also possible it was actually closed; but I have never seen either the old one or the new one (which is only open a few days) closed.

Its now in a new block of offices beside the pharmacy along with a new information desk. You can't see these from the TVM line!

Advertisement