Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dublin neighbouring towns - where would you buy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭Sono

Midmorning or early afternoon- aren't exactly a fair and reasonable depiction of how long it is likely to take someone to make a similar trip- other than at off-peak times when traffic is virtually non-existent..........

Exactly, someone could work night shifts and say they get there in 25 mins, not a true reflection of how long it will take the regular 9-5 day job in the city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

In fairness to Lara they did mention her husband does not work a regular 9-5.

• Administrators Posts: 53,329 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Honestly if commute time is something that would bother you I would just completely avoid anywhere on the M7.

Personally if I had to commute on that road every day I would go crazy. It's just a massive bottleneck.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭utmbuilder

Naas Kiĺl if you can afford it traffic is cat they never really cracked it

NAVAN is 12 minutes from blanch from exit 7navan to exit 3. Never really traffic until you hit half way house

Drogheda got very rough. When your changing your car finance a toyota hybrid. 80 miles to the gallon these days no plugging in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭1874

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Its important to look at train timetables when choosing a commute, for example Newbridge is 45km from Dublin which is a fair distance. However it has a few direct non-stop trains a day to Hueston that take only 24 minutes. This means that while Newbridge is further away it can be a quicker commute than any of the other Kildare towns like Naas, Maynooth, Leixlip, etc. Also there is a certain relaxation about commuting on a direct train over one that is constantly stop-starting.

Its also important to think about proximity and access to the train station. For example if you lived in Drogheda getting to the station will involve traffic for anyone coming from the northside of the town. Same in the evenings to get out of the station car park, there are often long tail backs and then when you do get out you are directly into heavy traffic on the Dublin Road. Stations with bad access can easily add another 40-60 minutes onto your commute every day.

I think it could be relevant, I heard someone mention recently, there is significant difference in the train fare from Newbridge, a proportional increase would seem reasonable if they have the customers to cater for it regularily. I think other stations nearer fall under some other fare scheme? definitely worth looking into.
    I think people need to strike the right balance between whats affordable and what their commute will be like and what the area the area will be like.

C3PO wrote: »
    That's a 90km round trip .... 450kms per week ... just to get to and from work!! and 8 hours a week (at best) that he's never getting back!!
    Thats 30miles (old money) each way, not significant really

The thing is, people can only buy what they can afford, I see mention of quality of life/commute vs buying more expensive, but that may not help them get on the ladder.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Was in the same boat as the OP. Living in Dublin renting for close to 20 years and decided it was time to buy so spent the last 12 months looking around. Didn't feel there was much value in Dublin and didn't want to but some pokey run down shack just to be close to city living.

Greystones/Delgany - nice but pricey for what you get. No value for money there anymore.

Naas - not a bad area, decent transport links into Dublin. House prices are reasonable especially if you go out side the town a little. Not on the coast so was one negative to us and the town centre gets very very busy.

Maynooth - lovely town but over priced and the house build quality for a lot of Celtic tiger houses are a joke. New houses are definitely over priced.

Ashbourne - terrible layout of the town. Massive over development during boom years destroyed the town. New builds are on top of each other and over priced.

Dunshaughlin - lovely village like feel, decent spec new builds being built there at the moment, however huge amount of new builds planned for the area in the near future so just got the feeling it would ruin the feel of the place and put the local services under massive pressure.

Navan - have friends living there and it's not a bad place. Good value for houses there and decent bus links to the city. Didn't go for it in the end as we preferred a rail link to bus for commuting.

Drogheda - Didn't like the feel of the town. Some lovely houses for sale on the south side of the town in areas like grange rath etc. But the town centre feeling and atmosphere didn't sit well with us.

Balbriggan - just didn't get a nice feel from the town, not sure what it was, just didn't like it so didn't consider it.

Ended up buying just outside of Skerries/Rush area, small town/rural but nice feel about it. Everything you need is there and only 30 mins on train into Dublin so very commutable. Got a decent size house for the money we paid and it's a new build which is great, also on the coast which is an added bonus.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Muahahaha wrote: »
    There is defintely something in this. Even the other day I read one of those money diary articles on the Journal. The writer had given up renting in Dublin for €1500 to rent in Mullingar for €1000 a month. Then reading through their diary their fuel costs were c€300 per month so a saving of €200 a month but not accounting for extra wear & tear on the car nor the 12 hours a week on the commute. In the case of the writer they intend moving job to Mullingar and buying a house there so it will work out for them in the end. But an awful lot of people commute from far away and will always be working in Dublin. They convince themselves they are saving money on rent but if you add up all the hidden costs of commuting and the detriment of your health/family life it is often better to locate yourself somewhere closer to Dublin even if it means paying more for the property.

Yeah I agree 100% on this, a lot of people just see one figure and focus on that, but forget about all of these other associated costs of living away from where you work.

We took all this into account when doing the finances. We pretty much added €500 a month to our projected outgoings each month to cover commuting costs, additional fuel for car, maintenance etc.

Another cost for us will be the possibility of getting a second car if we have any kids, again something we had to factor into the whole process

ToxicPaddy wrote: »
    Yeah I agree 100% on this, a lot of people just see one figure and focus on that, but forget about all of these other associated costs of living away from where you work.

We took all this into account when doing the finances. We pretty much added €500 a month to our projected outgoings each month to cover commuting costs, additional fuel for car, maintenance etc.

Another cost for us will be the possibility of getting a second car if we have any kids, again something we had to factor into the whole process

No Paddy there is great value outside of Dublin and commuting is reasonable too, move to Offaly!

ToxicPaddy wrote: »
    Navan - have friends living there and it's not a bad place. Good value for houses there and decent bus links to the city. Didn't go for it in the end as we preferred a rail link to bus for commuting.

I was in a similar position as you but chose Navan, although I do have the same concern about the train.
    I've lived in Blanch for the last 7 years so its good to know I'm just 20 mins away. (I realize that will be longer at peak times)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Some of these commute times seem optimistic alright.

I would drive from Tallaght to Adelaide road in the morning and evening and it was often an hour and 15 minutes or sometimes more, and that's within Dublin!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭illdoit2morrow

April 73 wrote: »
    Ratoath has become quite built up over the last 15 years. But with that has come a decent thriving village with restaurants, coffee shops, hairdressers, pharmacies, a supermarket, couple of pubs etc etc.
    There are two decent national schools & a secondary school. Good community spirit & loads of sports clubs - tennis, GAA, soccer, rugby.
    5 mins drive from Ashbourne where there’s a cinema, Aldi, Lidl, Tesco, Dunnes etc. Blanchardstown shopping centre is 15-20 mins away & is one of the biggest shopping centres in Ireland.
    Public transport lets us down a bit. Commuting to town - Bus Eireann, drive to M3 Parkway for the train or Ashbourne Connect Bus (with some direct routes from Ratoath, using the port tunnel & takes about an hour). You should definitely have it on your list.

Just on the Ashbourne Connect mention, they have reduced their service to a peak hour service only, so from around 6 am to 9.30am and 4 pm to 8 pm. Previously they operated the peak hour service and then a once an hour off-peak service. It's a pity as it was a very good and reliable service when compared to Bus Eireann.
    Saying that, there is a night bus (109A) from Dublin 7 days a week which leaves once an hour from Busarus.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭MayBea

Friends have bought in Kildare town, detached house (another house on the same street sold for 310k this autumn), 5 minutes walk to train station, 35 minutes morning train to Heuston Station. All the shops in walking distance, Educate together primary school. They're over the moon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

MayBea wrote: »
    Friends have bought in Kildare town, detached house (another house on the same street sold for 310k this autumn), 5 minutes walk to train station, 35 minutes morning train to Heuston Station. All the shops in walking distance, Educate together primary school. They're over the moon.

I think where exactly you work in town makes a massive difference. Down around heuston etc you're absolutely golden. If you have to go in to docklands or the ifsc it gets so much worse.

I think where exactly you work in town makes a massive difference. Down around heuston etc you're absolutely golden. If you have to go in to docklands or the ifsc it gets so much worse.

True. One works nearby Heuston st., another in IFSC actually. She has to go on Luas, but the stop is nearby afaik.

that Luas from Heuston could easily add 20-30 minutes to that commute pushing it closer to an hour.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,289 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

that Luas from Heuston could easily add 20-30 minutes to that commute pushing it closer to an hour.

A fold up bicycle would be the answer there. If I was living in any of the places mentioned where you had to deal with traffic I would be getting a motorbike fairly quickly. Life is too short for long commutes.

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    A fold up bicycle would be the answer there. If I was living in any of the places mentioned where you had to deal with traffic I would be getting a motorbike fairly quickly. Life is too short for long commutes.
    not everyone can cycle or ride a bike, but if you're able-bodied enough, sure. also cycling in Dublin is just as awful as a long commute, quality of drivers is awful

• Registered Users Posts: 3,738 ✭✭✭C3PO

.. also cycling in Dublin is just as awful as a long commute, quality of drivers is awful

Strongly disagree with you there - I commute 30kms by bike daily, Shankill to Ballsbridge. Have the option of free parking in Ballsbridge but wouldn't swop to the car for anything!

C3PO wrote: »
    Strongly disagree with you there - I commute 30kms by bike daily, Shankill to Ballsbridge. Have the option of free parking in Ballsbridge but wouldn't swop to the car for anything!
    majority of that commute is on fairly good straight roads, with decent enough cycle lanes. when I made the comment I was picturing cycling down the quays (tiny roads for the amount of traffic they get) to the IFSC on a fold up bike. I'd rather double the commute and hop on the Luas as it's a super dangerous place to cycle.

It's 16 mins from heuston to george's dock, I just googled it. Overall it's 35 mins + 5 min walk + 16 minutes = 56 minutes . Considering you paid €310k for a 4 bed detached house I think it is really good.
    As an example I live close to Sandyford Luas st (very much in Dublin) and takes me 45 minutes by luas to get to George's dock.
    So, 56 minutes can go down to 45 for an additional €300k (4 bed starts from 600k in my area).

• Advertisement

Ideally, your best off not working in Dublin city centre at all. Hard obviously because that's were the most jobs are

It's 16 mins from heuston to george's dock, I just googled it.

You’re not counting waiting time as I doubt you’ll get off one train and on to another. Next luas comes and it’s full causing you to wait for the next one

You’re not counting waiting time as I doubt you’ll get off one train and on to another. Next luas comes and it’s full causing you to wait for the next one
    I was not counting waiting time for my commute from Sandyford to Georges Dock either.
    Add 15 minutes to both journeys, with all the waiting you get :

Kildare (4 bed house price in the area €310k): 1hour 10 minutes
    Sandyford (4 bed house price €600k): 1 hour

If I was looking to buy (I'm not) and was limited in the amount I can spend, I will consider Kildare for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Exiled1

They say that Naas is an awful place
    And Portlaoise is just as bad,
    Longford town would get you down
    But, f**k me, Kinnegad!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,289 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Exiled1 wrote: »
    They say that Naas is an awful place

Who does?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

I was not counting waiting time for my commute from Sandyford to Georges Dock either.

If I was looking to buy (I'm not) and was limited in the amount I can spend, I will consider Kildare for sure.

But the Luas is the second train they get, so if you're counting a waiting time from Sandyford you need to count a waiting time in Kildare.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

If one person is working around Heuston and the other around George's Dock then I wouldn't live in Sandyford. They'd be better off any where living on the red line than Sandyford. There's plenty of places along there where you'd get a 4 bed for a lot less than 600K. You could also live somewhere on the DART line.

Nothing wrong with Sandyford either by the way. It takes about 40 minutes to get into the city centre from there though. It's grand if you're working in the city centre or along the green line obviously but I just wouldn't recommend it for someone commuting to where they are.

There is nothing wrong with living in any town outside of Dublin whatsoever I’m sure a lot of them are lovely places and people are quite happy with their decision to live there.

The thing is when someone comes on and looking for advice to buy outside of Dublin and people say where they bought and say it takes x amount of time to get into the city, I would say this is probably not completely true and no one has mentioned the annoyance the daily commute causes them every day.

It all comes down to how much a person values time, to me personally it is very important but may not be for others I guess.

Ush1 wrote: »
    But the Luas is the second train they get, so if you're counting a waiting time from Sandyford you need to count a waiting time in Kildare.

With travel from Sandyford to George's dock you change trains at GPO, so it's equal scenario.

• Advertisement

If one person is working around Heuston and the other around George's Dock then I wouldn't live in Sandyford. They'd be better off any where living on the red line than Sandyford. There's plenty of places along there where you'd get a 4 bed for a lot less than 600K. You could also live somewhere on the DART line.
    I'm not familiar with the areas around red luas line, but I doubt you get a 4-bed in a private estate for €310k (down for correction) in any of them, same for Dart line.
    Where would you recommend to buy to a person who has €310k and works in IFSC?

Advertisement