Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Three Tenants + one freeloading gf

• 08-08-2017 5:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi all,

I just want to know what is the common accepted view of other house sharers in Cork for the situation where one of your housemates has a girlfriend that never leaves. The rent and bills have all been split three ways between the lads but we have an extra person living in the house. Do you think it is appropriate to ask this couple to take up two quarters of the bills and rent payments rather then them paying only a third between themselves? Keeping in mind they do account for half of the people living in the house.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

You need to discuss it with only the three housemates on the lease. The ground rules need to be established, whether this is a limit on the number of nights a guest can stay or contribution to bills/rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭LimeFruitGum

Partners who overstay their welcome is a common issue. Had it myself a couple of times over the years. He can’t just move someone into his room and expect everyone else to be grand about it. Maybe they’re planning to move out in a while anyway, but either way, ye need to talk.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Katie9

Donagh13 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I just want to know what is the common accepted view of other house sharers in Cork for the situation where one of your housemates has a girlfriend that never leaves. The rent and bills have all been split three ways between the lads but we have an extra person living in the house. Do you think it is appropriate to ask this couple to take up two quarters of the bills and rent payments rather then them paying only a third between themselves? Keeping in mind they do account for half of the people living in the house.
    I had a conversation just tonight with uni student son in Dublin re. his housemate's mate who stays over a lot and has essentially moved in. They're now looking for another property to rent for the next college year and I've advised ds that if this guy stays over a lot next year, he must pay his share of the rent. As a parent paying the rent for ds, I'm not happen to be providing rented accommodation, that I'm paying towards, to a stranger! What's more, this guy is working, not a student! Best to have a conversation with your flatmate.😀

Advertisement