Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭legalease2172

Activity really drops off here innit!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

Activity really drops off here innit!

Presumably because we all want to forget about the horrors of them :pac: I'm only fully recovered in the past few days like

However, I do have a question for ye. This was my first sitting and I understand that when the results come out, you log onto the law society website with your ID number and a password? I have the ID number, but no password? Do they send you a letter with it or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Rebelgirl87

Presumably because we all want to forget about the horrors of them :pac: I'm only fully recovered in the past few days like

However, I do have a question for ye. This was my first sitting and I understand that when the results come out, you log onto the law society website with your ID number and a password? I have the ID number, but no password? Do they send you a letter with it or something?

Yes they send you out a letter saying your password is the word <<Mod deletion>> and when you log in with it you can change it to whatever password you want.

Mod
    Gotta be careful with passwords

• Registered Users Posts: 8 kevin125

Mod
    Sorry trading of manuals not allowed in this forum
    See OP at top of forum

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Dr Ice

Hi,

New to law and the FE1 Exams, I intend to give them a crack in April. Regarding exam technique, could someone recommend a text that provides instruction on how to answer exam questions, ILAC/IRAC for problem questions for example? An introductory first year law book might be the thing, any ideas?

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Yoop

Dr Ice wrote: »
    Hi,

New to law and the FE1 Exams, I intend to give them a crack in April. Regarding exam technique, could someone recommend a text that provides instruction on how to answer exam questions, ILAC/IRAC for problem questions for example? An introductory first year law book might be the thing, any ideas?

Thanks.

I think I remember seeing 'How To Write Law Essays & Exams' by S.I. Strong in my college library. I'm not entirely sure how good it is but it should be a useful introduction. I would also recommend doing a quick Google search; there are a lot of useful websites which provide examples of how you would approach a question using ILAC.

Best of luck :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

About 40 years ago a Prof Glanville Williams wrote a good book on Legal Study.

As far as i remember it had a section on exam technique.

Gave my copies aeons ago to apprentices - but it is worth reading if available

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭Hunchback

nuac wrote: »

As far as i remember it had a section on exam technique.

Gave my copies aeons ago to an apprentices - but it is worth reading if available

It is as good a pocket book as you can get. Would recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,981 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

nuac wrote: »
    Learning the Law. Still in print after more than 70 years.

Anyone have any idea when results come out? Annoying the way it takes so long :/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭jdbarry

Anyone have any idea when results come out? Annoying the way it takes so long :/

It's usually 6 weeks after the last exam, so it should be Friday the 25th of November.

Tis a long wait alright!

jdbarry wrote: »
    It's usually 6 weeks after the last exam, so it should be Friday the 25th of November.

Tis a long wait alright!

Would just be nice to say that I've passed 8 exams in my interview!

I know it's annoying waiting for results but I think 6 weeks is a quick enough turnaround given that over 1,000 people sit them? :pac:

Also the thought of being in work and having people ask how I got on is horrific, but I am not going to be able to wait til I get home to check them :o

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Aoife2012

Hi, could someone please tell me what dates the spring sittings are? (or usually are if they haven't been scheduled yet) Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Leraf

Aoife2012 wrote: »
    Hi, could someone please tell me what dates the spring sittings are? (or usually are if they haven't been scheduled yet) Thanks.

I think the dates are released either with the results of this sitting or early afterwards so the timetable should be available on or after the 25th November hopefully. I think they are usually end of March beginning of April each year.

When does everyone intend to start studying for the spring sitting? Is it scarily early to do so now or madness not to be started already?!?

Leraf wrote: »
    When does everyone intend to start studying for the spring sitting? Is it scarily early to do so now or madness not to be started already?!?

I did five in March this year and I started studying in the first week of December - it would have been later but I was working full time and going on holidays after Christmas. I would imagine it depends on how many you have to do and whether or not there are any repeats but personally, unless you're going to be sitting 6-8 in the spring, I'd say you could wait until the results and timetable are out and structure your studying from there. Of course, it's also no harm getting some reading/note-making out of the way early - I wouldn't start any serious studying at this point though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭fearmhor18

Leraf wrote: »

I have no background in law so I've started now in preparation to sit four in April. I say the sooner the better, no excuses in April :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 AM1990

Hi Everyone

I've been offered a training contract in Dublin and so obviously will need to pass these FE1s...they're an entirely new concept to me as I graduated from Queens so (a) my degree was mainly English and Northern Irish law and (b) we don't have FE1s.

It's really frustrating in a way as the firm is one of the so called Big 6 but I have these annoying and potentially disastrous exams to navigate through now which stand between me and my career ambitions. But anyway, that's how it is, no point crying about it.

I guess my question is, is there anyone out there from a UK law background who has sat these? If so, is it mainly a lot of crossover from the UK or are there a lot of differences ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 collao

Can anyone who has done the exam/knows the FE1s guide me as to what topics should be covered?

Even a broad range would be helpful because as we all know, it is a huge course!

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

collao wrote: »
    Can anyone who has done the exam/knows the FE1s guide me as to what topics should be covered?

Even a broad range would be helpful because as we all know, it is a huge course!

Thanks

Full curriculum on law society website in fe1 section (as far as I know! Used to be)

fearmhor18 wrote: »
    I have no background in law so I've started now in preparation to sit four in April. I say the sooner the better, no excuses in April :)

I agree, I am starting now also. The prep courses all start this week also so I take that as sign that I should start now

Feck the two of ye :pac: making me feel bad!!

I'm waiting to see if I need to sit contract again before starting :p

collao wrote: »

Thanks

For EU I would definitely recommend covering as much as you can and make sure you have enough detail for both essay and problem questions. Also make sure you cover your topics thoroughly as a question may draw on more than one aspect of a particular chapter. There really is no way around it; if you're leaving out a chapter or two you have to know all the rest - because it's so massive there's plenty to choose from and it doesn't necessarily have to be the most common or relevant topics.

Thanks a lot. I have a LL.M in European law so I am hoping that will help but as this is the first time I am doing FE1s I am a little wary. Thanks again, have a nice weekend.

Thank you! The syllabus is quite large too, I was hoping someone could tell me a shortcut ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭fearmhor18

Feck the two of ye :pac: making me feel bad!!

I'm waiting to see if I need to sit contract again before starting :p

Ah sure you'll probably be grand so. This will be my first attempt and studying with a full time job so I don't know how I'll fair. The manuals I got from Griffith look quite intimidating.

Ah sure you'll probably be grand so. This will be my first attempt and studying with a full time job so I don't know how I'll fair. The manuals I got from Griffith look quite intimidating.

The manuals should look a lot clearer once you go through the lectures. If you need any help or have any questions feel free to pm me, i know how daunting it all is and would be happy to help if i can. Depending on the results next week (or whenever) I may be doing all 8 in March and I also work full time so I get the stress and heartbreak of these exams!

Ah yeah I was only messing anyway :) in your situation you're certainly wise to be having a look now!

Stick around this thread anyway, we are a great bunch of lads (and ladies) and I found it great last time anyway as a first timer :)

• Advertisement

Does anyone have an equity grid to swap? I have one but just want to do a comparison to make sure it covers as much as possible. TIA

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement