Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dublin Bus - Major Service Expansion Announced

• 05-10-2018 6:45pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭

The switchover of 24 routes to Go-Ahead will free up resources in Dublin Bus which has allowed NTA to approve a major expansion programme including significant frequency improvements on 25 separate Dublin Bus routes including 3 brand new routes.

NTA Chief Executive Officer Anne Graham said: “In the coming weeks and months, we will see a very substantial increase in frequency and service levels on about 50 bus routes in Dublin, operated under the Transport for Ireland brand, by both Dublin Bus and Go-Ahead Ireland.

“This is the single biggest programme of service improvements that the NTA has ever approved and it is indicative of the level of commitment we have to making the bus service better for more passengers across the network in Dublin."

The routes due for frequency improvements with dates and further info when available
    Route 1 - Santry to Sandymount via City Centre (October)
    Route 4 - Harristown to Monkstown via Ballymun Road, City Centre and Ballsbridge
    Route 13 – Harristown to Grange Castle via Ballymun Road, City Centre and Clondalkin
    Route 14 – Ardlea Road to Dundrum via Malahide Road, City Centre and Rathmines (October)
    Route 15 - Clongriffin to Ballycullen Road via Malahide Road, City Centre and Rathmines (October)
    Route 15A – Limekiln Avenue to Ringsend Road via Rathmines and City Centre (October)
    Route 15B – Stocking Avenue to Ringsend Road via Rathmines and City Centre (October)
    Route 16 – Dublin Airport to Ballinteer via Santry, City Centre and Rathfarnham
    Route 25a – Lucan Esker to Merrion Square via Chapelizod Bypass and City Centre
    Route 25b – Adamstown to Merrion Square via Chapelizod Bypass and City Centre
    Route 26 – Palmerstown to Merrion Square via Chapelizod Village and City Centre
    Route 27 – Clarehall to Jobstown via Malahide Road, City Centre, Crumlin and Tallaght (October)
    Route 38 – Damastown to Burlington Road via New Cabra Road, Phibsborough and City Centre
    Route 38a – Damastown to Burlington Road via New Cabra Road, Phibsborough and City Centre
    Route 39a – Ongar to UCD Belfield via Blanchardstown Centre, Old Cabra Road and City Centre
    Route 54a – Kiltipper to Pearse Street via Tallaght and Harold’s Cross
    Route 66 - Maynooth to Merrion Square via Chapelizod Village and City Centre
    Route 66a – Leixlip Captain’s Hill to Merrion Square via Chapelizod Village ad City Centre
    Route 66b – Leixlip Castletown to Merrion Square via Chapelizod Village and City Centre
    Route 70 – Dunboyne to Burlington Road via Blanchardstown Bypass, Old Cabra Road and City Centre
    Route 83 – Harristown to Kimmage via Glasnevin, Phibsboro and City Cetre
    Route 84/a – Newcastle to Blackrock via Greystones and Bray

The new routes will be:
    Route 40e – Tyrellstown to Broombridge Luas via West Finglas
    Route 45 - Bray DART Station to Ikea via N11/Stillorgan Road, City Centre and Ballymun
    Route 66e – Maynooth to Merrion Square via Glen Easton, Chapelizod Village and City Centre.

The increases will happen on a phased basis between now and the end of January, updates will be posted on the Commuting and Transport forum when things are finalised but you should also check the operators site and the Transport for Ireland site regularly.

(Source: NTA Press Release)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

The proposed route 45 sounds almost exactly like the proposed Bus Connects E1. I wonder what it's frequency will be it sounds like a potential replacement for the 145 eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Kyleboy

Stephen15 wrote: »
    The proposed route 45 sounds almost exactly like the proposed Bus Connects E1. I wonder what it's frequency will be it sounds like a potential replacement for the 145 eventually.

It's every 15 minutes, was told it would be number 155 instead of 45 so not to cause any confusion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

It would be great if the 84 could be given a 30-minute frequency and a timetable that allows for an easy connection to the 45 at Bray station. Could become a halfway worthwhile route again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,873 ✭✭✭patrickc

some earlier starts but still no week night late buses.

It would be great if the 84 could be given a 30-minute frequency and a timetable that allows for an easy connection to the 45 at Bray station. Could become a halfway worthwhile route again.

Interworked with the 184 for a 15 minute frequency between Bray and Greystones.

• Advertisement

Kyleboy wrote: »
    It's every 15 minutes, was told it would be number 155 instead of 45 so not to cause any confusion.

They could also go for 146 or 46 too which might also be suitable as a route number. I see where they're coming from alright this proposed 45 doesn't have much resemblance with the old 45 other than the fact they both serve Bray or the 45a either.

I would assume the routing will serve DCU which would a good link between the two universities. It would give the Southside a frequent link to DCU for those not served by the 4 and the North side a link to UCD.

Hopefully this expansion will be taken into when the revised Bus Connects route plans are being drawn up.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Kyleboy

Hopefully this expansion will be taken into when the revised Bus Connects route plans are being drawn up.

The 155 (45) is scheduled to start at the beginning of January when the last of the 10%are handed over to go ahead.

Kyleboy wrote: »
    The 155 (45) is scheduled to start at the beginning of January when the last of the 10%are handed over to go ahead.

I'm more talking about the expansion in service in general as many of the spine routes will need frequency tables updated when Bus Connects is revised to reflect the increase in service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Kfagan10

An additional route through Leixlip and yet no improvements on the 67 is really disappointing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭OscarMIlde

Kfagan10 wrote: »
    An additional route through Leixlip and yet no improvements on the 67 is really disappointing.

Yep, I don't know how the residents of Celbridge keep getting shafted. The 67 is a nightmare of a bus, it never keeps to schedule due to the varying traffic along the route. Even three buses an hour rather than two would help morale of commuters relying on that bus. Busconnects is making their commute even worse, with their bus now routing through Leixlip as well, giving them another traffic bottleneck. They should make all the 66/67 routes bypass both Lucan village and Chapelizod, the bus journey times are unnecessarily long at the moment.

I do welcome the 66E though, it is needed, the people of Easton have no bus service apart from some 66x buses, which often don't show in the morning. With all the new developments planned in the area it is needed. A similar service for Aghards road route in Celbridge would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

What are they doing with the 16? It would be great if it ran a) earlier and b) later, so it would be possible to reach 8am flights in time, and to get home to the southwestside after flights coming in at 11pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭Qrt

Have the timetables been published? Frequencies of the new routes etc?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Qrt wrote: »
    Have the timetables been published? Frequencies of the new routes etc?

They will be published in phases between now and January, since this increase will be dependent on drivers and vehicles being freed up when outer metropolitan routes transfer to Go-Ahead Ireland.

If you look at the table of routes getting an increase, the ones that we have timetables or details for already are a link to the further information, if there is no link it means that there is no information as of yet.

Since the Go-Ahead transfers are indicative dates for November and January, tey could slip or change slightly and that would effect the DB expansion time, plus rosters need to be worked out and agreed within DB.

devnull wrote: »
    They will be published in phases between now and January, since this increase will be dependent on drivers and vehicles being freed up when outer metropolitan routes transfer to Go-Ahead Ireland.

If you look at the table of routes getting an increase, the ones that we have timetables or details for already are a link to the further information, if there is no link it means that there is no information as of yet.

Since the Go-Ahead transfers are indicative dates for November and January, tey could slip or change slightly and that would effect the DB expansion time, plus rosters need to be worked out and agreed within DB.

Cheers! I've just woke up so I was wondering if I was looking at stuff, but not seeing it, if you get me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

How in the name of Christ is celbridge getting done again. Routes through maynooth and leixlip both improve, even though both have train stations. Meanwhile the largest town in North kildare gets one solitary bus route that barely shows up and takes 90 minutes to travel 15 miles. What the actual ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

I frequently see 2 no. 4s for every 140 at the Broadstone stop, its 140 that needs improving.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭VG31

I frequently see 2 no. 4s for every 140 at the Broadstone stop, its 140 that needs improving.

Definitely, the 140 is always full. It should really have a 10 minute frequency.

Perhaps the new 45/155 might take a similar route to get to Ikea as the 140 which would add extra capcity to the 140. The 4 needs a frequency increase too since it's frequency was butchered during Network Direct cuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Rechuchote wrote: »
    What are they doing with the 16? It would be great if it ran a) earlier and b) later, so it would be possible to reach 8am flights in time, and to get home to the southwestside after flights coming in at 11pm.

It's likely that the 16 will be in the initial batch of 24 Hr services,now apparently due in Feb 2019.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Advertisement

Perhaps the new 45/155 might take a similar route to get to Ikea as the 140 which would add extra capcity to the 140. The 4 needs a frequency increase too since it's frequency was butchered during Network Direct cuts.

Considering it says it's going via Ballymun, I'd suspect it's going straight up Ballymun Rd and turning left into IKEA near the metrohotel.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭thomasj

AlekSmart wrote:
    It's likely that the 16 will be in the initial batch of 24 Hr services,now apparently due in Feb 2019.

Is that still the case of the 16, 39 and 145?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,299 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I'm very happy with the news that the 4 is getting an increase in service again after the cuts from Network Direct. I would like to see improvements in it's Sunday timetable because having it at an hourly frequency is a joke. The 84 suffers from this problem throughout it's own timetable. Hearing that the 45 is coming back in Bray is very good news. I hope that the 145 is not being scrapped as part of this change or is it staying as normal because there is no mention yet of it's future with Dublin Bus. What type of comments would go around if the 45 was made into a 24 hour service if the 145 gets eventually scrapped?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

How in the name of Christ is celbridge getting done again. Routes through maynooth and leixlip both improve, even though both have train stations. Meanwhile the largest town in North kildare gets one solitary bus route that barely shows up and takes 90 minutes to travel 15 miles. What the actual ****.

Celbridge commuters are being directed towards the train at Hazelhatch or Leixlip with a new circular route serving both stations. That's what I think anyway:P

But I agree with you, it is tough for those out there in CB, Leixlip will have increased bus services AND two train stations. Must be Intel and HP or something like that!

I'm very happy with the news that the 4 is getting an increase in service again after the cuts from Network Direct. I would like to see improvements in it's Sunday timetable because having it at an hourly frequency is a joke. The 84 suffers from this problem throughout it's own timetable. Hearing that the 45 is coming back in Bray is very good news. I hope that the 145 is not being scrapped as part of this change or is it staying as normal because there is no mention yet of it's future with Dublin Bus. What type of comments would go around if the 45 was made into a 24 hour service if the 145 gets eventually scrapped?

It's worth noting that the new 45/155 whichever number they go for is more like the 145 with a Northside extension as it goes via the N11 and not Deansgrange/Blackrock.

The BC E1 looks to be fairly much the same bar a slight extension to Northwood.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭OscarMIlde

Celbridge commuters are being directed towards the train at Hazelhatch or Leixlip with a new circular route serving both stations. That's what I think anyway:P

But I agree with you, it is tough for those out there in CB, Leixlip will have increased bus services AND two train stations. Must be Intel and HP or something like that!

That's a ridiculous plan. The trains are oversubscribed as is. Increasing the number of buses and overhauling the route to reduce travel time would be much easier.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Bray to Ballymun? Why...

Haven't we learned any lesson of combined cross city behemoths...

dfx- wrote: »
    Bray to Ballymun? Why...

Haven't we learned any lesson of combined cross city behemoths...

Why not? Provides a North-South link. Gives a link to DCU for people on the Southside and a link to UCD for people on the Northside. Also adds capacity for passengers South of Foxrock Church as the 145 is struggling for capacity at peak times.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

When do we get the timetables for the routes?

• Advertisement

When do we get the timetables for the routes?

We already have new timetables on the 14, 120 and 61. New timetables will be released as more routes move to Go-Ahead I would assume.

Advertisement