Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭SomeSayKos

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I don't get why people love Brucie. He is just a coked up 'roid asshole and I avoid them in real life. the writing for him and humour was way too try hard. Hated him and his missions.
    I feel this way about most GTA characters. I like the games, a lot in some cases, but the writing is pretty cringe around 80% of the time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,801 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

SomeSayKos wrote: »
    I feel this way about most GTA characters. I like the games, a lot in some cases, but the writing is pretty cringe around 80% of the time.

Rockstar's writing mostly poor. I don't know why it gets praise when everything they do is ripped off from the genre of films they are trying to take off. It's pretty much Duke Nukem levels of writing.

I much prefer when Dan Houser and his team aren't working on their games because their best stuff are when he isn't writing. Red Dead Redemption is as quite unoriginal but the writing is infinitely better than RDR2's circle jerk rip off of every set piece in every genre subverting western. It's basically, I've seen these movies already.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Is good writing even possible in an open-world game? Or rather: is consistent writing even possible? The nature of open-world games - especially ones that encourage the gamer to be as anarchic and chaotic as they like - kinda makes it hard to pin down a tonally consistent lead character(s) IMO. I suppose if the dev team were masochistic they could try and amend a character's personality to match the gamer's actions - but yikes, good luck there. Even something like BotW, with its mute, blank template lead of Link, wobbles in its storytelling given the giant omni-threat of Ganon is offset by Link goofing about with the world physics for 20 hours :)

Rockstar's writing mostly poor. I don't know why it gets praise when everything they do is ripped off from the genre of films they are trying to take off. It's pretty much Duke Nukem levels of writing.

I much prefer when Dan Houser and his team aren't working on their games because their best stuff are when he isn't writing. Red Dead Redemption is as quite unoriginal but the writing is infinitely better than RDR2's circle jerk rip off of every set piece in every genre subverting western. It's basically, I've seen these movies already.

I know you're not a fan of RDR2 but I'm on the cusp of finishing my 3rd playthrough and although it has its flaws (outdated mission design, controls, convoluted systems) I think it set a bar in the medium in terms of story telling.
    I think the real strength of RDR2 is the writing and development of the characters more so than the plot. I found it genuinely moving at times which I was not expecting at all from a Rockstar game!

pixelburp wrote: »
    Is good writing even possible in an open-world game? Or rather: is consistent writing even possible? The nature of open-world games - especially ones that encourage the gamer to be as anarchic and chaotic as they like - kinda makes it hard to pin down a tonally consistent lead character(s) IMO. I suppose if the dev team were masochistic they could try and amend a character's personality to match the gamer's actions - but yikes, good luck there. Even something like BotW, with its mute, blank template lead of Link, wobbles in its storytelling given the giant omni-threat of Ganon is offset by Link goofing about with the world physics for 20 hours :)

This is something I think about a lot.
    As I said just above I'm currently finishing another playthrough of RDR2. If I'm particularly enjoying an open world game I like to behave and make decisions from the perspective of the character rather than me as a player if that makes sense.

I typically walk instead of run, I don't go on rampages, I decide to do side missions depending on if it would make narrative sense to do these activities at specific points in the game.

I get that not everybody likes to play games like this but this is a rhythm i've settled into with these type of games and ultimately I get more out of the narrative as a result. Different stokes for different folks though!
    -
    As an aside I thought it was kinda cool in GTA V with being able to switch between characters that Trevor was clearly written/developed in such a way that he was the character to use for going on rampages!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,801 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I think rockstar initially got it right. They didn't pretend the games were anything but Scarface or goodfella's rip offs and did them in the stupidest goofiest way possible to match the tone of the silliness in the open world. Then after hearing the press talk about how amazing their juvenile writing was Dan Houser and the lads got Hideo Kojima level notions that they were incredibly talented writers verging on Murakami-esque and tried to make their subsequent games more serious starting with GTA4 and failing.
    SomeSayKos wrote: »
    I know you're not a fan of RDR2 but I'm on the cusp of finishing my 3rd playthrough and although it has its flaws (outdated mission design, controls, convoluted systems) I think it set a bar in the medium in terms of story telling.
    I think the real strength of RDR2 is the writing and development of the characters more so than the plot. I found it genuinely moving at times which I was not expecting at all from a Rockstar game!

As I heard on a podcast about western games, it seems good unless you've seen all the movies it directly rips off. It's just the wild bunch with bits and pieces stolen from other westerns.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭brady12

Don't really want a start a new thread so hope it ok asking this here. About get digiweb broadband and just wondering does anyone have it and any issues gaming wise?

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭earthwormjack

brady12 wrote: »
    Don't really want a start a new thread so hope it ok asking this here. About get digiweb broadband and just wondering does anyone have it and any issues gaming wise?

I've had Digiweb Siro for a few years now and it doesn't skip a beat. It's been rock solid.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

I don't get why people love Brucie. He is just a coked up 'roid asshole and I avoid them in real life. the writing for him and humour was way too try hard. Hated him and his missions.
    I would only hang out with Brucie once in a while. I felt Nico didn't really like Brucie and only just put up with him in the main storyline.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Is good writing even possible in an open-world game? Or rather: is consistent writing even possible?

It all depends what the designers want to say. I think the likes of RDR2 have storytelling that’s basically separated off from the open world - heavily scripted set pieces that are just totally their own space. Something like The Witcher 3 or even Cyberpunk (for its many flaws) are very well written, and perhaps also do a better job at allowing you to role play a consistent character. I still think the story and open world more often than not feel separated, though.

What’s really interesting though IMO is storytelling that uses the open world to tell its story. Outer Wilds is obviously the god-tier example of this, which genuinely feels like a generational leap in how an open world can be used to tell a story. On a slightly more modest scale, Paradise Killer has a free-form detective story set in a big sprawling open world that the player’s allowed explore on their own terms and time. Obviously neither of these games offer the same anarchic, sprawling gameplay systems as bigger budget offerings, but feel like truer, richer open world stories than their AAA counterparts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭tweek84

Has anyone bought on the Gamestop online store using a gift voucher? I am trying to purchase a playstation wallet top up and gamestop is not giving me an option to purchase using a gift voucher, it is just giving visa card or coupon option i have tried entering the voucher number in the coupon section and that doesn't work. I have checked on the website and it states that they accept gift vouchers online but i can't get it to work i have check and the voucher still has money on it. Needless to say my young lad is not impressed with my IT skills any help is greatly appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭tweek84

tweek84 wrote: »
    Has anyone bought on the Gamestop online store using a gift voucher? I am trying to purchase a playstation wallet top up and gamestop is not giving me an option to purchase using a gift voucher, it is just giving visa card or coupon option i have tried entering the voucher number in the coupon section and that doesn't work. I have checked on the website and it states that they accept gift vouchers online but i can't get it to work i have check and the voucher still has money on it. Needless to say my young lad is not impressed with my IT skills any help is greatly appreciated

Gamestop gift vouchers are only valid on line for physical products you cannot purchase digital products online using the gift vouchers.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Looking to sell/trade some games to CEX. Anyone on here ever post them games? Might have to if lockdown extends past January. Did you have to use tracked postage and how much did it cost?

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Looking to sell/trade some games to CEX. Anyone on here ever post them games? Might have to if lockdown extends past January. Did you have to use tracked postage and how much did it cost?

I posted them games by standard post. Worked out fine.

Jordan 199 wrote: »
    I posted them games by standard post. Worked out fine.

Was that in one of those padded envelopes just bigger than a game box and a 2 euro stamp? I wonder if i could get 2 games covered for that stamp.

Was that in one of those padded envelopes just bigger than a game box and a 2 euro stamp? I wonder if i could get 2 games covered for that stamp.

Yeah, I used padded envelopes and a weighing scales so I could see how much it would cost on the An Post website.

Jordan 199 wrote: »
    Yeah, I used padded envelopes and a weighing scales so I could see how much it would cost on the An Post website.

Excellent thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,104 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Reinstalled Apex Legends on a whim after not touching it for 18 months. Not sure why I ever uninstalled it, brilliant game.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

J. Marston wrote: »
    Reinstalled Apex Legends on a whim after not touching it for 18 months. Not sure why I ever uninstalled it, brilliant game.

I get bouts of wanting to play it. Play it for a few weeks then uninstall it.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Parsnips

Vicxas wrote: »
    I get bouts of wanting to play it. Play it for a few weeks then uninstall it.

Ive played it consistantly since launch.
    Have finished every season reward.
    Absolutley love it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,806 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Is it still 99% geared towards teams? Well, I suppose it is considering EA basically said solos doesn't work as the game is geared towards co-op.

Maybe we'll get a new Titanfall this year. I'm pining for some futuristic wall jumping MP action that isn't BR based (please just create Advanced/Infinite Warfare 2!!!). Actually, I believe it should be Sledgehammers turn for CoD this year, so hopefully it's AW2. Modern/historical settings have been done to death already. The only way is either further back (CoD with melee weapons only?!) or forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Parsnips

Got SW fallen order for €5 on PS store this week.

A nice bargain and looks nice on the pS5
    I played it on PS4 but didnt finish it.
    I definitely didnt give it the credit it deserved the last time around.
    And it is sating my SQ bug until the new disney+ shows arrive.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

I've been out of touch with gaming lately, since I returned to work in Sep I just didn't have the time, but here I am just fresh out of work again so was looking for something nice and casual to break back in [playing a LOT of Bloons TD 6 and HS Battlegrounds but little else]

Saw that 'What remains of Edith Finch' was free on Game Pass for PC [have continued to sub even though wasn't playing much] and gave it a go. Sat down to play it about 11 last night and was done by 1:30 or thereabouts, but what a great game! ok, maybe great is too strong, but it was a very enjoyable exp while it lasted. For me it was, different, in a good way

I've not played any of these 'walking simulator' titles much before, did try 'The vanishing of Ethan Carter' at one point but only had a crappy laptop that didn't like it very much even on lowest settings. I mostly used to play action/sport/rpg with the odd horror thrown in so it was a refreshing change.

I really wish it was much longer, but so much happens in that short time, the visuals are wonderful and varied each 'chapter' and I found myself laughing a lot more than expected at some of the scenarios - though overall there is that sense of sadness and melancholy that heightens the more you discover about the Finch family. If you like your story driven adventure/exploration games and just want something nice and short to plough through, definitely give this a try on GP. Not sure I'd pay much for it, maybe if it's on sale for a fiver, as it is very short. You could split it over a few 40min sessions to get more life out of it, and of course you can replay through, but for me it's a nice little one off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Parsnips wrote: »
    Got SW fallen order for €5 on PS store this week.

A nice bargain and looks nice on the pS5
    I played it on PS4 but didnt finish it.
    I definitely didnt give it the credit it deserved the last time around.
    And it is sating my SQ bug until the new disney+ shows arrive.

Coming up as €70 for me. Played it last month after getting a month's EA Play. It's grand... finished it and enjoyed it for the most part but it's a pretty bog standard action game.

Saw that 'What remains of Edith Finch' was free on Game Pass for PC [have continued to sub even though wasn't playing much] and gave it a go. Sat down to play it about 11 last night and was done by 1:30 or thereabouts, but what a great game! ok, maybe great is too strong, but it was a very enjoyable exp while it lasted. For me it was, different, in a good way

I've not played any of these 'walking simulator' titles much before, did try 'The vanishing of Ethan Carter' at one point but only had a crappy laptop that didn't like it very much even on lowest settings. I mostly used to play action/sport/rpg with the odd horror thrown in so it was a refreshing change...

I highly recommend Gone Home if you haven't played it, plays in the same vein of exploring a house to uncover family history with a more urgent matter taking the forefront. One of my favourite games of all time helped by the incredible voice acting, music and writing. I find 'Walking Simulators' to have the greatest gaming experiences.

As for Edith Finch, that scared the **** out of me for a long time when it came to giving my kid a bath :(

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

So my hard drives always have plenty of nerdy racing sims on them but Assetto Corsa hadnt been on there for a couple of years but thats changed with these latest weather and time mods - simply amazing imho - i just had to record a few laps.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

I highly recommend Gone Home if you haven't played it, plays in the same vein of exploring a house to uncover family history with a more urgent matter taking the forefront. One of my favourite games of all time helped by the incredible voice acting, music and writing. I find 'Walking Simulators' to have the greatest gaming experiences.

As for Edith Finch, that scared the **** out of me for a long time when it came to giving my kid a bath :(

Cheers for the rec, will definitely look into it. Yeah some of the back stories were heart-breaking, hard to mention them without spoiler but for example:
    Poor Walter, hiding away for 30yr from a 'monster' and it turns out to be a train above that kills him as he emerges, or the kid on the swing ... didn't we all want to do that at some point? go right around - the bath tub one was also very sad, but also weirdly fun before the inevitable, it's that strange of a game

Gone home is €12 atm, wonder if it'll be on sale some time? as it's pretty old now, only got €2 in my steam wallet :/ might still go for it next week maybe, how long is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,806 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Dcully wrote: »
    So my hard drives always have plenty of nerdy racing sims on them but Assetto Corsa hadnt been on there for a couple of years but thats changed with these latest weather and time mods - simply amazing imho - i just had to record a few laps.

Is there not an option to keep the wipers on constant? Looks absolutely stunning, but even in the video I was getting annoyed at the intermittent wiper!

Cheers for the rec, will definitely look into it. Yeah some of the back stories were heart-breaking, hard to mention them without spoiler but for example:
    Poor Walter, hiding away for 30yr from a 'monster' and it turns out to be a train above that kills him as he emerges, or the kid on the swing ... didn't we all want to do that at some point? go right around - the bath tub one was also very sad, but also weirdly fun before the inevitable, it's that strange of a game

Gone home is €12 atm, wonder if it'll be on sale some time? as it's pretty old now, only got €2 in my steam wallet :/ might still go for it next week maybe, how long is it?

It's about 2 hours. I remember wanting to get it before but thought ah 2 hours, not worth the price and it went free on ps plus. Kicked myself for not giving the devs money. I've played through it a few times just to relive the story and think about it now and then, especially comparing to other games. I saw a lot of negativity towards it which looked like because people were expecting a horror game and disappointed.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Is there not an option to keep the wipers on constant? Looks absolutely stunning, but even in the video I was getting annoyed at the intermittent wiper!

Yes i had auto wipers but that was my first few races.
    You can speed them up.

Advertisement