Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

No Man's Sky

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,480 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Hopefully they don't have a filter for copyrighted/trade marked name.

The idea seems that with players require between 2-5 hours dependant on their starting planet to get a ship to travel to another star they'll be more peaceful and it's meant to end up being a journey like game. I think you'll have more likely have people fleeing on sight with the odd bit of shoot on sight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Overheal wrote: »
    Where do you get that from
    Any player interaction where you can kill, will result in shoot on sight like every other game (DayZ/RUST/7 days/ etc.).

Sick of that mechanic tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

But if you send the cops, issue bounties or just add the murderer to a naughty list where they can be hunted down by the other players then they are less likely to do so. Dayz has no policing or honour system

But if you send the cops, issue bounties or just add the murderer to a naughty list where they can be hunted down by the other players then they are less likely to do so. Dayz has no policing or honour system

From what they've said meeting another player randomly is going to be rare, so any such mechanics are unlikely. They describe it more as journey like rather than DayZ in space.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,514 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Aside from that, unless I have a really compelling reason to do otherwise my plans actually are to venture out of the original galaxy and travel intergalactically. I hope that is a possibility incorporated into the game. But I certainly do not plan on meeting many players while partaking in that journey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Is it exclusive to PS4?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,634 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

joe123 wrote: »
    Is it exclusive to PS4?

On consoles its looking likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Rossin

i don't understand why you wouldn't want to meet other players, surely that leaves nothing other than exploring randomly generated planets? it'll just be never ending randomness! it wont be like ooohh look i found that place, more like, oh look this place randomly appeared in front of me isnt it lovely, then a day later the same thing randomly appears on a different planet

I dont really get it do i

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Rossin wrote: »
    i don't understand why you wouldn't want to meet other players, surely that leaves nothing other than exploring randomly generated planets? it'll just be never ending randomness! it wont be like ooohh look i found that place, more like, oh look this place randomly appeared in front of me isnt it lovely, then a day later the same thing randomly appears on a different planet

I dont really get it do i

But, as you discover new planets, it's uploaded to the servers so, when anyone else flies to that location, they find your discovered world.
    This suggests that the galaxy will start as a blank canvas before filling up as it ages and is more and more inhabited and explored.
    As cool as that is it'll have to have a broader storyline there in the background, it'll be otherwise just a pretty tech demo.
    Perhaps we'll see more emergent gameplay, with servers in the real world corresponding to sectors of the games play area, maybe it'll take time to travel between, requiring co-operation and effort of teams, depending on resources required.
    It possibilities are endless, but it will require an awful lot of moderation.
    Otherwise planet and ship names will be a never ending supply of dick jokes.

I can't wait though, should be a blast.
    I think I'll call my craft "A Frank Exchange of Views" in honour of the late Iain M Banks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

joe123 wrote: »
    Is it exclusive to PS4?

timed exclusive i think but definitely not exclusive

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »

This game is starting to sound like Titanfall in exclusivity. It was just Xbox for the time being with Respawn not commenting on the possibility of a PS4 version when pushed multiple times and then it was a sealed Xbox exclusive shortly there after. This seems to be the same with how cagey the developer is being on an Xbox version.

At least it will be on PC too which is the main thing.

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »

Fully console exclusive, it's out eventually on PC.

I don't think there's one instance where MS have made an exception to their launch parity requirement.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    But, as you discover new planets, it's uploaded to the servers so, when anyone else flies to that location, they find your discovered world.
    This suggests that the galaxy will start as a blank canvas before filling up as it ages and is more and more inhabited and explored.
    As cool as that is it'll have to have a broader storyline there in the background, it'll be otherwise just a pretty tech demo.
    Perhaps we'll see more emergent gameplay, with servers in the real world corresponding to sectors of the games play area, maybe it'll take time to travel between, requiring co-operation and effort of teams, depending on resources required.
    It possibilities are endless, but it will require an awful lot of moderation.
    Otherwise planet and ship names will be a never ending supply of dick jokes.

I can't wait though, should be a blast.
    I think I'll call my craft "A Frank Exchange of Views" in honour of the late Iain M Banks.
    Thing is, you're more saying what would by great to see in a game rather than anything that's really been announced in this game.
    Hence my complete lack of excitement.
    The only thing the server needs to save is the planet name. Everything else is procedurally generated on your PC by the looks of it. There's also no evidence yet of any sort of interaction with the scenery, which is very problematic for a procedurally generated game. Changes just can't be saved.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,122 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

The whole idea of the universe expanding on the servers as players discover things themselves opens up so many possibilities, particularly if they let the modding community at it on PC.

Even if they don't, rather than have a "campaign" in the game from the off, wouldn't it be cool if the game when first released is just straight up discovery then they could get teams of writers on board to develop several campaign type set ups, but it would be a case of the player stumbling across them while exploring rather than being thrown into them. People could come up with a campaign and basically set it within No Man's Sky rather than the game itself being designed around one.

For example you jump into a system or land on a planet and find something happening, if you decide to go closer and get involved it kicks off a whole sequence of events you could become embroiled in, or you could just choose to leave the area and continue exploring. There could be many of these scattered around the galaxy and none or few of them would be interconnected. Just completely optional, but involving and compelling story lines that could all go towards shaping your adventure as you explore.

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    Thing is, you're more saying what would by great to see in a game rather than anything that's really been announced in this game.
    Hence my complete lack of excitement.
    The only thing the server needs to save is the planet name. Everything else is procedurally generated on your PC by the looks of it. There's also no evidence yet of any sort of interaction with the scenery, which is very problematic for a procedurally generated game. Changes just can't be saved.

Their world is procedurally generated on their side, the galaxy you see is the same that I do. They've show some of the resource interaction and said that areas that have been damaged by those big rhino things in that trailer will be like that for the next player that shows up on that particular planet.

It's the same as a minecraft server, the map was procedurally generated rather than by a level designer but we all still play on the same world.

Varik wrote: »
    Their world is procedurally generated on their side, the galaxy you see is the same that I do. They've show some of the resource interaction and said that areas that have been damaged by those big rhino things in that trailer will be like that for the next player that shows up on that particular planet.

It's the same as a minecraft server, the map was procedurally generated rather than by a level designer but we all still play on the same world.
    Wow. That's a mind bogglingly ambitious amount of data to store. 1000s of entire planets of it down to square metre detail. Finding it hard to belief that but it'll be some feat.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

While it's interesting, discovering new species doesn't seem like enough of a hook. The core gameplay mechanics seem to be, flying through space with some obstacles (asteroids), flying above ground looking around to spot things, and walking around looking around to spot things.

There's nothing wrong with that, my brother plays flight simulator, will fly from dublin to new york real time, I just don't get it is all.

While it's interesting, discovering new species doesn't seem like enough of a hook. The core gameplay mechanics seem to be, flying through space with some obstacles (asteroids), flying above ground looking around to spot things, and walking around looking around to spot things.

There's nothing wrong with that, my brother plays flight simulator, will fly from dublin to new york real time, I just don't get it is all.
    It all strikes me as being Elite Frontiers with waaaaaaaaaay more definition of the planets and waaaaaaaaay less of a storyline.

When minecraft went viral the goal was nothing more than to mine coal and other ores, and you could place these materials in configurations like houses and stuff.

It went on to not only sell millions of copies but is still played in huge numbers today, pouring tens of hours into exploring individual tunnel systems just as an example. And now (since the last time I actually played over a year ago) they've added all manner of **** into the game like "an objective" ie. an endgame and enders and all this other crap and frankly I was happy digging up the odd diamond and having a mountain-top fortress made from stone.

So dismissing NMS as too basic too interest people, is really just mother****ing silly.

Not only that, but assuming you own or have driven a car have you ever just been stressed out and went on a random, relaxing drive. Imagine that, but the escapism of turning on this game and being able to just dive into deep space. Put on some tunes from Spotify or something, pick a random heading, and activate your FTL Drive/Jump Drive/Hyperdrive/Warp Drive/Penis Drive and venture out for a while. I don't know about you but Overheal of 10 years ago, well, Overheal in 2005 actually, used to do such things a lot in Freelancer. Fill a ship full of Cargo with a far off destination and have to fight off pirates to get his loot safely to final destination to the backdrop of whatever I listened to at the time. Except now I'd much rather the experience was New and Different every time I did so, rather than what it really was at the time: the same trade run, day in and day out. But it was relaxing for a while. I'd love to just get in the game whenever and pick a destination and inevitably find something new and exciting and discover some new (albeit procedurally generated) species that I can stake a name too and use that discovery to better my ship, or happen across a flotilla in a combat situation in defend or destroy it. It's spontaneous, as opposed to the same old trade run between New Tokyo and some place in the Rheinland using some backwater "uncharted" jumphole as a shortcut.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Rossin

i never understood why people played minecraft to be fair

anyway i hope there's more to this than just mining cause it look pretty amazing so far

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

When minecraft went viral the goal was nothing more than to mine coal and other ores, and you could place these materials in configurations like houses and stuff.

It went on to not only sell millions of copies but is still played in huge numbers today, pouring tens of hours into exploring individual tunnel systems just as an example. And now (since the last time I actually played over a year ago) they've added all manner of **** into the game like "an objective" ie. an endgame and enders and all this other crap and frankly I was happy digging up the odd diamond and having a mountain-top fortress made from stone.
    Well, yes. Minecraft could be summed up as 'explore and build amazing creations'. It was the latter that hooked people - the ability to shape your world by building fortresses and tunnels and bridges, etc, etc. (Plus of course the whole craft and survive element.) If Minecraft had only given people a blocky world in which to explore, ie without the above elements, then it would almost certainly not have become the massive hit it is today.

Right now all that we've seen of NMS is the 'explore' part. You get in a ship and see unique things. Which is pretty but doesn't answer that basic question: what will the players actually be doing.

@Reekwind
    Agree totally. NMS doesn't appear to have any world building at all from the evidence we have. Just saying "Minecraft is huge" doesn't inform us about this games chances.
    My read is that the "discovering" *is* is the gameplay. This gets you better stuff so you can explore more procedurally generated worlds. Is it even truly multiplayer? They're being coy about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

I'm not hating on it, there's an audience for most things hence why I mentioned flight simulator. And from a technical and game development standpoint it's VERY interesting to see how it goes. But imo based on the information it won't have a widespread audience, or at least not for long if the mechanics are as I've stated.

Minecraft (not having played it) is about building and showing off what you've built. You can say taking pics of species is similar but there is no creativity in that - just pure chance. And this species generation would want to be incredible (I assume it is).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

There seems to be examples of enemy contact in the trailer, so I would suppose that there is a little more to it than mere exploration of procedurally generated worlds.
    So, could there be included basic crafting and resource management, leading to emergent resource and currency exchange, I must say there are endless possibilities if they simply build a Universe and allow creative players to use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I must say there are endless possibilities of c0ck-like creatures if they simply build a Universe and allow creative players to use it.
    FTFY :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,080 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

From Twitter:

@hellogames: .@eddieri0 'PlayStation Exclusive' was @gametrailers' phrase, not ours - No Man's Sky is having its console debut on PS4 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

Nicely made documentary/review type video here:
    http://www.gamespot.com/articles/the-story-of-hello-games-no-mans-sky/1100-6420890/

Good to see two Irish connections to the gaming industry doing a professional job.

Another interview with the Devs

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/no-mans-sky-will-have-traditional-multiplayer-but-/1100-6420982/

Almost sadly, the game will implement "traditional multiplayer" at some point :|
    Though No Man's Sky will have some form of multiplayer eventually, it's not a game about forming a clan or allegiances. Murray did admit that the game will have "some MMO-esque mechanics" as it relates to meeting other people in the game's vast world, but your overall goal will be to travel to the center of the universe. Once you do so, "something happens" that is "worthwhile seeking out," Murray teased.

This article highlight's how NMS is the Seinfeld of Video Gaming: the game about Nothing

http://www.examiner.com/article/no-man-s-sky-will-reveal-a-lot-about-what-kind-of-gamer-you-are

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

This article highlight's how NMS is the Seinfeld of Video Gaming: the game about Nothing

http://www.examiner.com/article/no-man-s-sky-will-reveal-a-lot-about-what-kind-of-gamer-you-are
    I deeply dislike the core dichotomy in that article. "The reality is not that Hello Games is doing nothing, but rather they are doing nothing FOR you. They are letting you write your own narrative and for some gamers that concept seems so foreign to them now that they don’t know what to do with it."

One of the keys to games that generate excellent emergent narratives is that they rest on very strong core gameplay mechanics. Think Football Manager, Crusader Kings, Minecraft, Civilisation, etc. The player sets their own goals and (with minimum handholding) the narratives unpredictably emerge as the game progresses. But giving the player freedom is pointless if there's not those rock solid mechanics* that drive a unique narrative. Finding a new species of fish is boring (the second time round at least), finding a new species of fish after your ship plunges into the ocean in a desperate bid to escape a random pirate attack is exciting.

So a game can be 'about nothing' in the sense that there's not a plot propelling it forward. But if so then it has to demonstrate that it's got the core gameplay to pull that off. I remain to be convinced (while being very hopeful that I will eventually be) that NMS has this.

*Such as FM's match engines and transfer market, CK's diplomacy and marriages, Minecraft's crafting and combat, and Civ's economic and culture models.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Radiosonde

Reekwind wrote: »
    I deeply dislike the core dichotomy in that article. "The reality is not that Hello Games is doing nothing, but rather they are doing nothing FOR you. They are letting you write your own narrative and for some gamers that concept seems so foreign to them now that they don’t know what to do with it."

One of the keys to games that generate excellent emergent narratives is that they rest on very strong core gameplay mechanics. Think Football Manager, Crusader Kings, Minecraft, Civilisation, etc. The player sets their own goals and (with minimum handholding) the narratives unpredictably emerge as the game progresses. But giving the player freedom is pointless if there's not those rock solid mechanics* that drive a unique narrative. Finding a new species of fish is boring (the second time round at least), finding a new species of fish after your ship plunges into the ocean in a desperate bid to escape a random pirate attack is exciting.

So a game can be 'about nothing' in the sense that there's not a plot propelling it forward. But if so then it has to demonstrate that it's got the core gameplay to pull that off. I remain to be convinced (while being very hopeful that I will eventually be) that NMS has this.

*Such as FM's match engines and transfer market, CK's diplomacy and marriages, Minecraft's crafting and combat, and Civ's economic and culture models.

But Animal Crossing is the successful counter example there, a game with little conflict.

Advertisement