Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Newly planted flower pulled out

Options
  • 13-06-2019 1:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭

Hi there...a couple of days ago I planted some flowers. Seen this morning one of the plants was pulled out and dragged across the lawn and left there. Our neighbour has a cat that often comes into our garden. Would a cat really be interested in doing this? What other animal could this be? Our garden is very secure as we have a small dog so it could hardly have been a fox?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

How big is the plant? Birds can be quite destructive of new planting and transplants. My veg is covered by chicken wire as my back garden is host to a collection of typical suburban squawkers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Depending on size of plant bird or fox. I've had a lot of issues with foxes. But they mainly dig at the roots or roll over them. Was there was fish and bone meal in the fertiliser ? If so fox again

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭macraignil

Crows can do this type of thing and I reckon it's just a strategy to get at some earth worms if they think something might be loose in the ground and not that difficult to pull up. My neighbours used to leave a plastic bag flapping in the wind to scare off some of the birds that might be a problem. The tape from old audio cassettes can be used in a similar way and if it is stretched out to the right tension can make a noise in the wind that also is likely to scare birds. Some people use old CDs to blow in the wind and scare birds but the audio tape was the method I found most effective.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

I've seen magpies do this: Can be a real nuisance. Probably searching for some larva or something underneath?

Once the roots are well established they won't be able to.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

Tinsel or some reflective Christmas decorations that catch the light will keep birds away. same effect as cds.

Feed the birds with enough seeds and nuts and it'll help.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Feeding birds is like throwing money at tramps.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Feeding birds is like throwing money at tramps.

Birds are usually victims -tramps are often opportunists. Birds don't spend their money on drugs or drink.

It.could have been the dog too. Or any of the above! Replant but more firmly &see what happens!Any foot/claw.prints!?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

A few sprigs of holly or gorse around the plant will deter most likely candidates

• Registered Users Posts: 28,050 ✭✭✭✭looksee

It was likely birds looking for leatherjackets - crane fly larvae. Hooray for the birds!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Birds don't spend their money on drugs or drink.

thats what you think ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement