Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

4k Fire TV stick - PLEASE READ OP BEFORE ASKING QUESTIONS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,100 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Amazon Prime.

I have Eir mobile & broadband, with this you get free Amazon Prime. Can I use this through the Firestick (I don't think so).
    If I click on a 'watch with Prime, start your 7 day free trial' link' there's nothing about a free month trial or the free account from Eir.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭alanhiggyno1

Also great for certain tv apps if u go down that route

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭okla

QUOTE=okla;112466388]For RTE player the last 3 posts here explain how to install. It works a treat and the best part is there's no ads

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=112155555[/QUOTE]

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭micknail

MarkY91 wrote: »
    Works perfectly fine on my TV. Got a warning on the screen not to use it but just clicked the ok button and worked perfect just like I used to when I plugged it into the socket.

They come with a plug anyway, why would you need to buy one?

TV is mounted on the wall, lack of power sockets available.

Thanks for the reply!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

micknail wrote: »
    Are usb ports on newer TV's good enough to power the stick, or will I need an adaptor (21 pounds seems excessive for one)?

A 3 pin plug and cable comes with the stick.

But I've worked them from the TV usb port a good bit and it's fine. You get a warning message on the Fire on some TVs but even still it's grand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭holidaysong

Poolboy19 wrote: »
    Open Firefox browser after starting uk VPN, search for BBC iPlayer in Firefox, login and it should work. Has been for me a while, a bit of a pain compared to opening the iPlayer app but needs must..

You can get the iPlayer as an add on through the Kodi app. It works very well.

Hi,
    Why doens't RTÉ news play live on the player?
    Thanks,
    Pa.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 WindWarrior

dinneenp wrote: »
    Amazon Prime.

I have Eir mobile & broadband, with this you get free Amazon Prime. Can I use this through the Firestick (I don't think so).
    If I click on a 'watch with Prime, start your 7 day free trial' link' there's nothing about a free month trial or the free account from Eir.

You need to log onto the EIR app using your account and follow the prime link to get the 12 months of prime for free

You need to log onto the EIR app using your account and follow the prime link to get the 12 months of prime for free

Cheers. No sign of it in Eir TV, downloading My Eir app now

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭dahak

kenyard wrote: »
    The Ethernet card on it only supports 100mb so it's not 4k suitable afaik.
    It's why it doesn't have a port by default. Loads of people complaining that they don't get 4k and the root cause is they're using lan for "faster" connections when in fact it's slower.
    If you have bad wifi in areas of the house buy a WiFi range extender or booster for the few quid extra and all your devices will work on it.
    I picked up an extender 10 years ago for 15 quid and welll worth it (although it hasn't been used in 2 years now since the new broadband router covers the entire house)
    I would look for speeds of 300mb/s nowadays to support 4k or a few devices.

I think there's a bit of a misunderstanding on the network and internet speed needed for streaming video and 4k streaming video in particular. I put a lot of the blame the ISP's for this. If you took Virgin at face value you'd think that their 250Mb plan is the bare minimum you need to stream HD video.

Amazon say an constant internet speed of min 15Mbps for 4k Prime and Netflix say 25Mbps for 4k.

The actual bandwidth used is lower, Netflix use under 16Mbps for 4k on average and Amazon are a little bit lower.(~7GB per hour). So a 100Mb wired network is more than enough for multiple streams of 4k content (you could have five simultaneous streams with a 100Mb switch). Something would have to be very, very wrong with a wired network for the network (LAN and not the internet connection) to be the limiting factor for Netflix/Amazon 4k content.

The Fire TV Stick 4K Specs say it can deal with H.265 (HEVC) 4k up to a bitrate 35 Mbps, so if Amazon or Netflix pushed the bitrate up to the official device max, a 100Mb network could still deal with 2x 4k streams. It doesn't have a network port by default because it's built to be a low cost device. The more powerful and expensive Fire TV Cube has an ethernet port, interestingly that's a 100Mb and not gigabit ethernet. Unofficially the Fire TV Stick 4k hardware has been tested with files up to a bit rate of 400Mbps [~180GB per hour], so the hardware is very capable.

The big advantage of using the network adaptor is to take that streaming bandwidth off of your wifi and leave the wifi bandwidth for your other devices and the bandwidth (within your internal network) is not going to be limited due to interference. Especially in current times taking that load away from the wifi network, improves the wifi network for VOIP calls, video conferencing etc

Close to best case for a basic 300Mbps extender/repeater would for the maximum wifi bandwidth to be halved straight away to ~150Mbps (at the link level) and you get about 60% of that at the application level so ~90Mbps (close to the max a 100Mb wired network would achieve at application level). That's still multiples of what you need for 4k streaming from Amazon/Netflix, but it's best case, add in microwaves, baby monitors, neighbours networks, other uses on your network and that can/will drop to fractions of that.

So the end of all that
    1. Netflix/Amazon 4k content needs about 16Mbps
    2. A 100Mb ethernet adaptor has 5x the needed bandwidth for Netflix/Amazon 4k content, so not a limiting factor
    3. Taking 'static' devices from wifi to wired should improve your wifi network for the rest of your devices
    4. Headline link connection speeds for wired and wireless networks are not really comparable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

I got the region failure thing just trying to install YouTube and other free apps.

Changed region to UK on Amazon.co.uk, but now I'm getting this one - Kv5hwIy.jpg

Any ideas?

Bare in mind these are free apps, there is no charge. And one-click is already set up.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,499 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Has anyone figured out how to get the virgin media player on the firestick? I got an apk but the ratio was all off

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭bromley52

Has anyone figured out how to get the virgin media player on the firestick? I got an apk but the ratio was all off

Check this out

Set orientation apk

• Registered Users Posts: 8,858 ✭✭✭Soarer

I got the region failure thing just trying to install YouTube and other free apps.

Changed region to UK on Amazon.co.uk, but now I'm getting this one - Kv5hwIy.jpg

Any ideas?

Bare in mind these are free apps, there is no charge. And one-click is already set up.

Is your default payment method a UK card eg. Revolut?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

Soarer wrote: »
    Is your default payment method a UK card eg. Revolut?

Actually got it sorted thanks, changed region on the phone app and it worked, strange that it didn't when I changed on the www but sorted now anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭in2dark

Got the 1080 fire today. Super happy with it. Thanks op!

Only issue is that i was hoping to get the bbc iplayer working with my ipvanish vpn but no luck...

Any tips welcomed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

in2dark wrote: »
    Got the 1080 fire today. Super happy with it. Thanks op!

Only issue is that i was hoping to get the bbc iplayer working with my ipvanish vpn but no luck...

Any tips welcomed

Change the location on your amazon settings on Firestick and amazon account for purchasing/downloading the iplayer. (Just a guess)

Change the location on your amazon settings on Firestick and amazon account for purchasing/downloading the iplayer. (Just a guess)

My region is uk for amazon.
    I installed the app of iPlayer
    I created account using ipvanish as "uk" customer
    Then open the iplayer, logged in
    Can see all catalogue
    But when i try playing smtg... Computer says no

• Registered Users Posts: 23,814 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

have tried ipvanish at the weekend and no joy, uk amazon address etc etc

Some here have had success with it, but i dont want it bad enough to try 6/7 vpns in the hope of finding one the works....I've tried two.
    same issue here with itv hub also

netflix us works fine but there's enough on netflix here for me

• Advertisement

My region is uk for amazon.
    I installed the app of iPlayer
    I created account using ipvanish as "uk" customer
    Then open the iplayer, logged in
    Can see all catalogue
    But when i try playing smtg... Computer says no

Did you go into Firestick settings and change location ?
    Did you go into your amazon account and change location ?

Both separate changes to make

• Registered Users Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭larchielads

What version of the app was it? Link?

Did you go into Firestick settings and change location ?
    Did you go into your amazon account and change location ?

Both separate changes to make

Both uk

Both uk

You might need to get in touch with amazon support to get them to change your address/region to uk.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭Hoboo

You might need to get in touch with amazon support to get them to change your address/region to uk.

Exactly. I did it online chat, gave them my London office address, up and running in 2 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,254 ✭✭✭CH3OH

Just thought I would share my experience with the Fire and BBC player

I had the Keep Solid vpn on my phone and couldn't get it to cast to a samsung tv as it detected the vpn and closed the connection

I have the lifetime vpn from Keep solid that was mentioned on bargain alerts last year. If you search the forum you can find the thread

I already had Amazon prime set to UK

I followed the instruction on the Keep Solid website :
    Method 1: Install KeepSolid VPN Unlimited on Fire TV
    Before you install VPN on Fire TV, you need to update your Fire TV firmware to the latest version. ...
    Go to Device > Developer options and make sure that all the features there are turned on.
    Navigate to Main menu > Apps > Utilities > Install the Downloader application.
    4. When installed, open Downloader and enter the following link: https://tiny.cc/vpnun
    5. The downloading and installation process of the KeepSolid VPN Unlimited application will start.
    Complete installation steps and press Done at the end.

worked fine ..
    May be obvious .. but you have to run the VPN app and select a UK server.

Watched BBC iplayer fine.

You have to switch the VPN off to watch Amazon prime as it detects the VPN and won't work

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Doodah7

CH3OH wrote: »

Before you install VPN on Fire TV, you need to update your Fire TV firmware to the latest version. ...
    Go to Device > Developer options and make sure that all the features there are turned on.
    4. When installed, open Downloader and enter the following link: https://tiny.cc/vpnun
    5. The downloading and installation process of the KeepSolid VPN Unlimited application will start.

You have to switch the VPN off to watch Amazon prime as it detects the VPN and won't work

I replaced my standard Firestick with a 4K version recently and followed the prices above. VPN Unlimited was working fine on the old stick and continues to on the new one. ITV Hub also works perfectly. The only issue was having to re-sign into both apps once more by using the on-screen verification code and inputting that on the respective websites.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

Anyone get Sky go working on their Stick ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,393 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

CH3OH wrote: »

I had the Keep Solid vpn on my phone and couldn't get it to cast to a samsung tv as it detected the vpn and closed the connection

I have the lifetime vpn from Keep solid that was mentioned on bargain alerts last year. If you search the forum you can find the thread

I already had Amazon prime set to UK

worked fine ..
    May be obvious .. but you have to run the VPN app and select a UK server.

Watched BBC iplayer fine.

There's a setting in that vpn that allows for exceptions eg prime, rte, TV3, c4 so need to be turning it off. Also works for ITV, C5 and UKTV Play.
    US works for Netflix, Disney+ and crackle. Handy that it auto starts. I don't think there's any reduction in bandwidth when using a US VPN.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

Anyone get Sky go working on their Stick ?

nope as sky go will disable itself when it detects a HDMI port connection, its a built in security feature, many people have tried and a quick google with show the same results. it can be installed by sideloading but will not work when you go to open it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement