Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2019 - General Discussion

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

The top temperature on the day of the referendum was 21 degrees in Dublin. Hardly a scorcher!

Acc to this - not sure how reliable - the average high temperatures in Dublin for May are 15 degrees

https://www.holiday-weather.com/dublin/averages/

So while 21 degrees may not be out of the ordinary in July, in fairness for May its way above average

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Decent day so far in Dublin but dark clouds looming to the south now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭klaaaz

Don't know what just happened at around 4:15pm, there was a heavy shower approaching from the south(Dublin) with the visible downward stream in the sky, the shower and clouds just dissipated as it got nearer. Result being an unexpected long sunny interval with a blue sky for miles around like a proper summer, my outdoor thermometer says 17C.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,834 ✭✭✭pauldry

Very cold really in 2019 so far

I wouldnt think it will be as bad from next Monday

No heat but trending drier so at least 14c is better than 9c

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Very heavy rain shower now in Dublin (16).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Artane2002

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Very heavy rain shower now in Dublin (16).

Just about avoided that shower here in Dublin 5. Dark skies though. As soon as I finished typing this, I heard a distant rumble of thunder.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Multiple rumbles of thunder in Dublin 3. Great weather to walk out of an exam to :pac: .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭klaaaz

Yes, the skies have now turned dark :( Ah well, a 45 min sunny interval was a little bit of summer :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Interesting skies this afternoon in Dublin 5. Regular rumbles of thunder now and a flash of lightning just now.

r34xaOb.jpg?1

wVms7qf.jpg?1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Cold wet showery evening here. Heating on. So depressing to come home from work and to be sitting in looking out at it in June.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

Grand day in Cork :) again

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,675 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Zipppy wrote: »
    Have recent April, May, Junes been as bad?
    I know last year clouds the memory but this spring has been shocking....Bar Easter..

I think the worst thing so far about 2019 is that lack of variety in temperatures from the middle of February to this current day. With the exception of Easter and the first 2 days of June, temperatures here in Meath have been at the same 12C to 15C range giving an overall chilly feeling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Its nearly the middle of June and its freezing outside...I notice in recent years cold seems to go on into May and June...even countries in Scandinavia have better temperatures than this at this time of year:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,675 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Hooter23 wrote: »
    Its nearly the middle of June and its freezing outside...I notice in recent years cold seems to go on into May and June...even countries in Scandinavia have better temperatures than this at this time of year:rolleyes:

We've had very poor Junes before, June 2012 being a classic example. This first week of June seems to be every bit as poor as that, but perhaps worse as it actually feels colder, and this is on the back of a chilly May which doesn't help.

Perhaps sryanbruen can answer this, has this first week of June been overall colder than the first week of June in 2012?

Summer 2012 was terrible overall June-August. Hopefully this summer won't go the same way. Fire lit again for the 4th night in a row, even in 2012 I don't remember us lighting the fires this regularly.

Part of the problem is the chilly Spring, our house just hasn't had the chance to warm up on the inside since Winter. I know last year was a bit of an exception, but we had stopped lighting fires one month by this stage, so this is proving to be a very expensive May/June in terms of keeping warm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

This evenings Sunset in Arklow,looking towards the Wicklow mountains and that decaying shower cloud top
    We've a lot to be thankful for on this wee island :)

20a800afc3ccb6b0734f46d0e4e19956.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭scouserstation

Calibos wrote: »
    As I joked about earlier in the thread, my visiting Aussie cousins were wearing wooly hats, scarves and Winter coats to the Taylor Swift Concert at Croker on June 19th 2018. Now obviously Perth natives dressed for Winter in an Irish Summer isn't indicative of a June 19th 2018 with weather like the last few days cause they'd likely have worn the same if it were 20 degrees, but I don't recall that day/night being overly warm for us Irish natives either. However, a day or two after that concert they headed out West to Galway to be greeted by cloudless skies and 30ºc temps while we Irish cousins remaining at home on the East coast were basking in a more comfortable 25ºc. So as far as I remember it wasn't till the Equinox on June 21st that the fantastic Summer of 2018 really got going.

In other words.......

WTF are people doing already writing off this Summer!!!

It was another 2 or 3 weeks from now before the legendary Summer of 2018 really got started.

Thats true the 2nd and 3rd week of June last year was quite dull and overcast, with temperatures lingering around the mid to late teens after having a nice end of April and May, I remember thinking thats it, summers over now, it was good while it lasted

Temperatures appear to rise considerably, especially across western areas from the middle of next week. The west of Ireland is likely to do particularly well as they will be sheltered from a cool north-east wind. Low pressure is set to dominate across the Netherlands and Germany bringing cool north-easterlies to the UK in particular.

Next Thursday begins a warming trend:

topkarten.php?map=20&model=gfs&var=5&run=12&time=171&lid=OP&h=0&mv=0&tr=3#mapref

By next Friday, temperatures rise further, particularly in the west as high pressure moves in:
    GFSOPUK12_192_5.png

Still warm on Saturday 15th across the west:
    GFSOPUK12_219_5.png

This continues to Sunday 16th:
    GFSOPUK12_240_5.png

and may last into Monday 17th, then cool again slightly after this.
    GFSOPUK12_264_5.png

All hope isn't lost for this June, the UK appears to hang onto the cooler conditions for nearly a week longer, the east of Ireland should get seasonal temperatures, but right now it looks like the west will take the lions share of warmth if all this pans out, this is still really FI, but fingers crossed this works out for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Hooter23

That big very slow moving shower is not far from Galway now on the latest radar image...

• Registered Users Posts: 48,129 ✭✭✭✭km79

I went on holidays at start of heatwave last year
    This year we are going earlier
    Sat week
    I swear to god.......

• Advertisement

It’s fkin impossible plan any outdoor work this week/weekend
    Forecast seems to change every few hours
    Tomorrow and sat were promised dry up until latest update

• Registered Users Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

In terms of the Irish Mean Temperature (IMT), the 1st-5th June 2019 has had a mean temperature of only 11.8c which makes it the second coolest of the decade in comparison to the 1st-7th period of other Junes and behind only 1st-7th June 2015 which had an IMT of 10.6c.

In terms of max temperature, the 1st-5th June 2019 has had a mean max temperature of only 15.2c which like mean temperature overall makes it the second coolest of the decade in comparison to the 1st-7th period of other Junes and again behind only 1st-7th June 2015 which had a mean max of 14.7c.

Last but not least, in terms of min temperature, 1st-5th June 2019 has been rather unremarkable with a mean min temperature of 8.4c makes it lie nearly bang in the middle in comparison to the 1st-7th period of other Junes in the past decade since 2010. You might have guessed it already but 1st-7th June 2015 was the coldest for mean min temperature too with a mean min of only 6.6c - well below average!

IMT temperature stats of each 1st-7th June period for the 2010s decade (1st-5th June for 2019).

Year|Mean temp.|Mean max.|Mean min.
    2010|14.8|19.4|10.1
    2011|13.0|17.6|8.5
    2012|12.8|15.9|9.8
    2013|13.7|19.3|8.1
    2014|12.4|16.6|8.2
    2015|10.6|14.7|6.6
    2016|15.7|21.7|9.8
    2017|12.1|15.8|8.3
    2018|16.7|21.8|11.6
    2019|11.8|15.2|8.4

Interesting how close 2016 and 2018 were in terms of mean max temperature although 2018 easily bet in the mean min department.

2012 not as low in these stats as you may think but it had a rather low mean max temperature nevertheless though its mean min held up well which was more than likely due to all the cloud from the rain disallowing cold nights.

If we were to look at rainfall totals, I'd say 2012 and 2017 would be the wettest followed by 2019.

Data from Met Éireann.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

jr86 wrote: »
    Acc to this - not sure how reliable - the average high temperatures in Dublin for May are 15 degrees

https://www.holiday-weather.com/dublin/averages/

So while 21 degrees may not be out of the ordinary in July, in fairness for May its way above average

It’s above average but it’s not a scorching temperature by any stretch. That it doesn’t happen every day during the summer doesn’t change that. And even if we only had ten days that hit that temperature over the summer months, we’d still be experiencing it more frequently than every two weeks. Not that the regularity of it is the determinant in whether it’s a hot temperature or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Zipppy wrote: »
    Have recent April, May, Junes been as bad?
    I know last year clouds the memory but this spring has been shocking....Bar Easter..

It’s bad. A crude measure but the night before last, I had a hot water bottle in bed with me AND a blanket over the duvet. Absolutely unheard of me for even May, never mind June. Okay, that’s just one night BUT I’ve not taken the blanket off the bed yet except for two warmish nights. Usually, again, the blanket would be jettisoned in May and I’d just be using the duvet. And often in summer, it’d just be blanket, no duvet. So, it’s noticeably colder so far this summer. And I have a well-insulated apartment.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Ben Done

MT's forecast for tomorrow is short (and not particularly sweet)..

SATURDAY ... Variable cloud, showers, isolated thunderstorms. Moderate north to northwest winds. Highs near 15 C.

Anyone care to add their own interpretation for Slane and Malahide, for the 100,000+ who'll be standing in a field tomorrow?

Ben Done wrote: »
    Anyone care to add their own interpretation for Slane and Malahide, for the 100,000+ who'll be standing in a field tomorrow?

Expect to get wet at some point during the day.

Evening may be better/drier.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭Kutebride

First true blue sky in Meath in a long time. Lovely.
    Cool morning.

Fantastic morning in east Galway
    Even a bit of warmth in the sun

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

There is still a fair amount of uncertainty on the track of the frontal rain today/tonight. Could well stay dry in the east yet (for the optimists!). Some fairly sharp showers likely next few days with the risk of some isolated thunderstorms.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,094 ✭✭✭pad199207

As usual sunshine didn’t last long

Advertisement