Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Coins & Banknotes Valuation Sticky

• 15-04-2011 9:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31 Choco2607

Hello,

I'm trying to see what the value is on some of my old notes,

One being an Old Irish £1 note dated 02/01/1936....

Its in supreme condition,

Also would anybody know where I can get these valued? I live in Dublin,

Any help would be much appreciated...

Thank you.. :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭jamiecoins

im in waterford but theres no good shops here alot of people use a shop in the georges street arcade see some of the other threads maybe the coin dealers in dublin posts as they would also buy banknotes

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Szarik102

£1 2.1.36 is a Lady Lavery Irish Free State note.
    Value would be between about 100-600 Euro depending on its condition unless it has damage — writing, tears, pin holes, bits missing, etc. Damage would reduce its value. 1936 is one of the scarcer years, though that is not really relevant to its value.

hi i suggest since there are a few threads with people asking valuations that we make a sticky thread and a few people can contribute there expect opinions on values of certain notes and coins and explain the grading of coins/banknotes to anyone who needs the information :) we can post pictures and value guides any one think this would be helpfull it will hopefully clear up all the threads about values

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

I'd be OK with this. Let's see what the others think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭arnhem44

Yes that seems like a good idea,it would help tidy up things a lot.

• Advertisement

rather than having 20 other threads place it all in one ill post a few later and we can agree on a price maybe before .we set it in stone

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

As I have no idea about the valuation of coins and banknotes we would rely on the knowladgeable people like yourself and Blade etc to help out.

Maybe it should be a step below the "setting in stone" one just to be on a safe side ;)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

Sounds good, make sure they understand though that they must post a clear picture as it's all about the grade/quality. Perhaps also a quick note about how to post a picture using Boards.

Hmm second thoughts about this, a lot of times a picture is not needed as most of the coins they ask about are of very low value. So maybe say that they may be required to post a picture, or something like that? But at least be as specific as possible, dates, what exactly is written on it etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭keithg89

Im sorry I dont know what most of them are except the $20, Any idea of a price? this is the tip of the iceberg in the middle of sorting out the collection if you dont mind I would keep uploading pics as i sort them out? Mainly with help identifying coins and notes.

dsc02235ln.jpg

dsc02236y.jpg

dsc02237p.jpg

dsc02238dw.jpg

dsc02239z.jpg

dsc02240kw.jpg

dsc02241z.jpg

dsc02245k.jpg

dsc02246p.jpg

dsc02247j.jpg

Sorry for the long post. Any help appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Danco

keithg89 wrote: »
    Im sorry I dont know what most of them are worth... Any idea of a price?
    dsc02247j.jpg

Any help appreciated.

Well, I know very little about coins and notes, but I do know these boys will make you a very pretty penny. Congratulations! If this is just the tip of the iceberg then I'd say it's one awesome iceberg you've got there :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Anthony O Brien

if this is the tip of the iceberg im thinking to myself holy sh*t :eek:
    is there any chance you could put up a picture of the back of the ploughman notes so i could give a value
    also is the line at the top of the £10 beside the currency commission a tear?

They're locked away at the moment but as far as i can remember i dont think there's a rip in any of them. Yes the coins are half the front page of a full coin book. Thanks for any help.

dsc02248u.jpg

£1 €350-€450
    £5 €500-€750
    £10 €1500-€1800

£1 €350-€450
    £5 €500-€750
    £10 €1500-€1800

i would agree with anthony on this . thats around the pricebut with the market at the moment you mighnt not get the high end, but maybe keep on to them for a few years there a great investment

The coins are:
    a us double eagle $20 dollar piece
    there is 0.9675 troy ounce of gold in these which at todays price works out at €1087, these can sell for over spot price if they are a high unc grade but the circulated ones sell for spot

switzerland 20 francs
    im not too sure about the collectible value of the coin as it looks to be unc but it weights 0.1867 troy ounce which works out at €210

us eagle $10 coin
    it weights half of the $20 coin so the scrap price is €544 but this coin looks to be unc so it would be worth more

us 25 dollar bullion coin half ounce $25
    spot price is €561

english spade guinea 1794
    hard to tell the condition from the photo but would be worth around €300-350 possibly a bit more

switzerland 20 francs 1891
    same as the one above spot price is €210 but a collector would pay closer to €250 for it

this one is either a gold sovereign or half sovereign, the full sov has a diameter of 22mm
    a full sov has a spot price of €265
    the half sov is half the price

us one dollar coin
    silver
    ~€30

english crown
    silver
    ~€30

Thanks for the help lads, I didnt know what the swiss coin was i have about ten of those in the same condition. I was really struggling to figure out what the spade guinea was aswell so thank you. If you wouldnt mind helping me with coins I cant identify as I go through them it would be much appreciated?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭barneysplash

I think a sticky would be a good idea because over time

it would build up into a good reference for identifiying coins -hang on, I've seen this before...You could then go back through a single, concise thread instead of trawling
    through a general boards.ie search looking for insignificant and obscure
    individual threads from ages ago.

I think the 3 stickys on carboot sales, markets and antique fairs
    should be merged into 1 sticky.

We'd have to hear from Judgement Day on this as he does all the work in these stickys.

Notes to moderator on coin and banknote sticky:
    1.The code should be switched on as well so you can see previews of the images without having to click eack link.2.At the start of the thread, there should be a tutorial on how to
    post images using the function.3.There should also be a notice saying that all offers should be
    posted in to adverts.ie

4.Add some links at the start of the sticky, so people can do some
    research on their own (which is half the fun) instead of posting
    up details and expecting one of us to do all the research
    and valuation work. My favourite are:

Irish Coinage
    http://www.irishcoinage.com/

Dan's Coins
    http://69.55.175.34/

Tony's Coins of the UK
    http://www.coins-of-the-uk.co.uk/coins.html

Jo Edkin's weights and measures site:

http://gwydir.demon.co.uk/jo/units/money.htm

http://gwydir.demon.co.uk/jo/units/weight.htm

Numismundi Notes Site
    http://www.numismundi.com/

Banknotes
    http://www.banknotes.com/

African Coin Site
    http://www.wbcc.fsnet.co.uk/africa.htm

The most interesting and dedicated sites are the amateur
    sites like Dan's coins and Jo Edkin's pages.

You can come across these during researching a coin and
    they can be a valuable reference for years to come.

You can see that collecting coins is a passion for these
    people - and it shows in the work they've put into their sites.

keithg89 wrote: »
    Thanks for the help lads, I didnt know what the swiss coin was i have about ten of those in the same condition. I was really struggling to figure out what the spade guinea was aswell so thank you. If you wouldnt mind helping me with coins I cant identify as I go through them it would be much appreciated?

no problem, anything you cant identify just stick up a photo of both sides of the coin here

Ok. I've identified most of them, is the lowest buy it now price on ebay a realistic enough value?

#it depends on whether it sells for that price, the value of an item is what someone is willing to pay for an item, alot of sellers put up items with high buy it now prices hoping that they will sell. a more realistic way to get the value of an item is to watch it in an action an see what it sells for. although in this case a particular coin might regularly sell for €20 and two buyers might go to war on it and it could sell for higher and it does not mean that the coin is worth that price, ive seen that happen alot and usually when it does you will see a flood of that item offered for sale in the weeks following the sale from sellers hoping to achieve the same price and they end up oversupplying the market driving the price down so its hard to tell really unless you watch ebay over a number of weeks to see the sales prices

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

Bang on there Anthony.

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Any suggestions as to the best way do dispose of old British silver coins? I'm talking about worn coins. I understand that pre-1947 British silver coins are 50% silver and pre-1920 ones are 92.5% silver. Any idea of value or where I should go? Thanks. :)

pm sent

• Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Hi lads,
    I've been asked to try to find out the value of this coin by a friend.

His example is in far superior condition to the one shown - I'm no expert, but I've seen old Irish pound coins in worse condition.

Any help or opinions much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Al.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Derfil

alproctor wrote: »
    Hi lads,
    I've been asked to try to find out the value of this coin by a friend.

His example is in far superior condition to the one shown - I'm no expert, but I've seen old Irish pound coins in worse condition.

Any help or opinions much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Al.

<SNIP> Derfil please refrain from making offers on this forum,no buying or selling is allowed and all items being sold or sought must be advertised on www.adverts.ie .Moderator

• Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Not necessarily looking to sell it, but i want a realistic valuation on it by the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

alproctor wrote: »
    Not necessarily looking to sell it, but i want a realistic valuation on it by the way.

Check out eBay while you're at it.

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/i.html?_nkw=1883++florin&_sacat=0&_dmpt=UK_Coins_BritishMilled_RL&_odkw=1883+british+florin&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭DFS UTD

Hi there

I have a full collection of old Irish Banknotes

Series A (Lady Lavery)
    shilling

Series B

Series C (pre euro)

Series C - mostly UNC / others in series A and B are in very good condition (VF/F)

Where would the best place to sell these and should I sell them individually or as a complete set - roughly how much is a full set as details worth.

thanks

DFS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 KevL

Anybody know how much this is worth?? According to eBay, about €60-€100. It's in fairly good condition, 2 light creases. Is it possible to get rid of these by putting a towel over it and ironing? Also, anyone got any info on these notes? The date on it is 14.3.73. Cheers!

Advertisement