Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bosco Presenters

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭earwicker

I'm answering myself but I think it may have been something like CP and Quikstitch. Anyone? Put me out of my misery...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭ColinM

Dunno, that sounds vaguely familiar alright. Pity RTE taped over everything.
    There was some Wanderly Wagon set stuff in a skip on the RTE campus a couple of years ago. I dunno if anyone rescued it.

I think they always knew everything they produced was embarrasingly bad so there was no sense in keeping it. Still, despite its kitch-ness, it's become a cult classic. Wanderly Wagon DVDs would sell well now, as many of the people who grew up watching it have kids of their own now. I'm sure they'd love for their kids to see it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 guliolopez

Found this: http://www.jonathanryan.com/ Interestingly he doesn't mention "Bosco" in his film and TV career history.

And Frank's CV (again no mention of Bosco): http://www.staffordm.com/full-resumes/twomeyf.html

Marian Richardson's IMDB entry: http://imdb.com/name/nm0724687/

which refers to the IMDB entry for Bosco: http://imdb.com/title/tt0303436/ (only creditting Marian and Frank)

And a comment on the AIDs story which suggests Philip (or whoever it was reputed to be) didn't die at all: http://www.esatclear.ie/~shoegirl/2005/02/blowing-out-bosco-aids-myth.html

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Worked with bairbre on a play. didn't know it was her until someone pointed it out to me. Nice lady.

Was it Philip that died of Aids? The tall blondy bloke?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

guliolopez wrote:
    Found this: http://www.jonathanryan.com/ Interestingly he doesn't mention "Bosco" in his film and TV career history.

I've emailed him asking why

I don't expect a response.

• Advertisement

nlgbbbblth wrote:

Don't remember that dude at all!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,660 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

earwicker wrote:
    I'm answering myself but I think it may have been something like CP and Quikstitch. Anyone? Put me out of my misery...
    yeah the name sounds right , animation like Dangermouse in style . I always thought it was imported. Become a sewing machine and see the universe.

Only online reference to it I can find.
    http://livepublishing.infopop.cc/eve/ubb.x/a/tpc/f/915107294/m/144101755/p/4
    One year during the summer holidays (possibly '85), there was an animation thing on after Why Don't You called, IIRC, 'C.P & Quickstitch' about two robots. I've not met *anyone* who can remember this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭SonicDoom2005

I have the most treasured possesion of all.....for i have a tape with 5 classic episodes of bosco and a few of the really old cartoons at the end (captain planet, ghostbusters etc)

I have the most treasured possesion of all.....for i have a tape with 5 classic episodes of bosco and a few of the really old cartoons at the end (captain planet, ghostbusters etc)

Awww... let me see!!!!! Please :rolleyes: ;)

nlgbbbblth wrote:

I stand corrected.

I must eat my words.

Thank you for your kind e-mail Paul.

I will rectify the situation and include the Bosco days!

You're right about RTE! ... As Bosco would no doubt say, it's úfásach!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Kevin_rc_ie

hah

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Kingsize

I always thought that phillip (or phillup as it was pronounced)was they guy who died of aids?
    Dont forget Miles who had a well publicised drug problem & (i think)had something to do with the obriens sandwich bar empire.
    As far as i know the presenters of bosco were given a bum deal one off payment for doing the shows despite the fact that they were repeated constantly- there was no "performance royalties" paid

i just had a look at johnathan ryan's website & he makes a very convincing gerry adams!!(& a not very convincing idi amin :D )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 boscobosco

Was Suzy not the dentist/doctor?
    I think Mary was on it more often, she was small with medium-length curly hair.
    And was there a Marcus fella?

Rem the Tidy Up song they used to play at the end:
    Tidy Up, da da de da
    Thats all we have time for today
    da de da, Goodbye Goodbye,
    And remember now "You're The Tops!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Apollonaire

He was a judge at Alternative Miss Cork this year also. Heard there were two gay presenters and about one of them being fond of cocaine but not about the lesbian, which one was it?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,016 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Cian H wrote:
    Did they ever get bosco back after he/she was kidknapped?
    yeah they gave him back!! The people who took hin were friends of somebody i went to college with. The story goes that one of the Lamberts was doing some show in UCD and they nicked the trunk Bosco was in then they took him on holidays and faxed a photo of Bosco waving with the Golden Gate brige behind him to one of the papers...In the end they handed him in and said they had found the trunk in a ditch or somewhere like that! :rolleyes:

The David guy used to live on our road after his Bosco days - we used to sing the Bosco theme as he passed to piss him off!! tee-hee :D Ah I want a bosco tshirt!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Dear God lads, you sure as hell have too much time on your hands, afraid I was a year or two too old for the whole Bosco thing, you could be pretty much ruined for life if they found out in class that you watched it, 3rd class could be a pretty life or death place!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

boscobosco wrote:
    Rem the Tidy Up song they used to play at the end:
    Tidy Up, da da de da
    Thats all we have time for today
    da de da, Goodbye Goodbye,
    And remember now "You're The Tops!"

Those were 2 seperate songs.

You've got to tidy up - tidy up,
    put everything away,
    that's all for today,
    there'll be more fun and games to play tomorrow

and

Time to go, goodbye, goodbye,
    put everything back in it's box,
    see you soon, godbye goodbye,
    and remember now, your the tops!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 melody

i LOVED bosco!!

myself and my two older sisters had bosco pj's!!and one night i got sick in my sleep (i'd say i was 5 at the time), and the acid from my stomach burnt a hole in the collar!! (didn't stop me wearing them for a few more years though!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

melody wrote:
    .....the acid from my stomach burnt a hole in the collar!!

Holy Christ, what the hell did you eat that produced stomach acid strong enough to burn through your pyjamas? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 melody

i don't know!!
    but i woke up in the morning with sick all over my pj top and i t had a hole in the collar!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭natter

Was there a presenter called Peter on Bosco? The reason I ask this is that I had an imaginary friend called Peter when I was about 2 or 3 with whom I would play with for hours and hours. And my mam has told me since when I asked about it (cos I have absolutely no recollection of this myself) that it was Peter off Bosco.

Now none of ye have mentioned a Peter... hmmm some enquiries must be made as to how I decided I had a friend called Peter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 442 ✭✭arctic lemur

The creatures made of plasticine were called the plonskters, then there was Faherty's garden with cornelius the crow. The Mc Spudz were Síle and Seamus. does anyone remember Charlie Creann, sile seilide and gregory grainneog? Yes there was a Philip, a Susy & Frank (who is from my village at home). Does anyone remember the song 'someday i'll be big? or tidy up goodbye, goodbye? Went to see Bosco in Bandon for my friends birthday and it was one of my best childhood moments!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

anybody else see the ad for the Bosco DVD?

RTÉ are finally waking up to the fact that people will buy these for novelty/nostalgic reasons

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭Femelade

Mossy Monk wrote:

RTÉ are finally waking up to the fact that people will buy these for novelty/nostalgic reasons

yeah i saw that last nite!
    i'm going to buy it
    not for my daughter
    for me....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Steve_o

Mossy Monk wrote:

Yup that'll be bought for sure, mad me feel old though seein bosco again!!

Bought it today.
    It's laid out better than the Wanderly Wagon DVD which has the end credits shown separately.

Bosco has 7 episodes - 2 from 1980, 3 from 1985, 1 from 1986 and 1 from 1987.

The Christmas Special dates from 1983.

Some low sound quality in the second 1980 episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭jamieh

Hey all,

Look at what has been released.......

http://www.buy4now.ie/rte/productdetail.aspx?pid=1046&loc=P&catid=7.5

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭gonker

You are joking jamiah did you not read the previous replies:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Siogfinsceal

FRANK AND MARIAN!!! ;-) they rocked

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭natter

My mam's getting me the dvd for christmas.. ah cant wait :D

Advertisement