Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Coronavirus Part II - Its arrived - We're Doomed!!! See OP for Mod warnings

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

tillyfilly wrote: »
    is the virus not still spreading in China?

Looks like it is really slowing down there.

They will be on lockdown for another month or so just to really stop it.

Also their economy is fuc**d.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,978 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

But the news is pessimistic.

Let's be honest, it sounds so contagious that once it gets a foothold in a country, we'd all need to stop going to work, school, the supermarket, the football stadium, the cinema, the nightclubs etc.

That ain't going to happen, the world has to go on, and so it's going to spread, spread, spread.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭dogbert27

tillyfilly wrote: »
    it supposedly kills the second time around more often

Is this a joke?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

• Registered Users Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭Sigma101

NIMAN wrote: »
    Might be a stupid question, but if you get this virus and come out the other side of it , can you just catch it again or will you be more immune to it?
    At the moment, the view is that it's unlikely that people will develop immunity after recovering. It appears now that Covid-19 will be around for a long time - like the seasonal flu.
    https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2020/02/covid-vaccine/607000/
    The emerging consensus among epidemiologists is that the most likely outcome of this outbreak is a new seasonal disease—a fifth “endemic” coronavirus. With the other four, people are not known to develop long-lasting immunity. If this one follows suit, and if the disease continues to be as severe as it is now, “cold and flu season” could become “cold and flu and COVID-19 season.”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

I think no matter what advice the HSE or the Gubberment give. People with symptoms will still go off to work, pub and shops out of ignorance.

Of course they will.

I did pretty heavy isolation protocol for 9 months after my daughter had a bone marrow transplant. Extreme stuff like washing all clothes and bed clothes at 90C every day, milton-ing the whole gaff twice a day and practically bathing in hand sanitizer. You work your ass off to do every little thing and then you’ve got some eejit strolling through the oncology ward in our lady’s hacking his guts up. “Eh, I don’t think you should be here” gets a reply of “it’s ok, I’m not contagious”.

So many will show up at work because “they’re not that bad” or they somehow can diagnosis themselves as “not contagious” or it’s “just a mild dose”.

dogbert27 wrote: »
    Is this a joke?!

I think it's just awkward phrasing.

The 2nd bout is worse than the first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Its bright in that video. When was it taken? Surely we'd have heard if there was a case in the clayton by now

I remember the days when if you hadn't checked the thread in a couple of hours it only took you minutes to catch up. Now it takes a good hour and lots of skimming.

I saw people in the old thread claiming it spread so fast in China because they spit a lot.
    I see people now saying it's spreading so fast in Italy because they kiss a lot.
    Presumably if it takes off in the US it'll be because they high-five a lot.

What will they say we do in Ireland to increase spread?

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭EDit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

I remember the days when if you hadn't checked the thread in a couple of hours it only took you minutes to catch up. Now it takes a good hour and lots of skimming.

I saw people in the old thread claiming it spread so fast in China because they spit a lot.
    I see people now saying it's spreading so fast in Italy because they kiss a lot.

Spit while talking?

Spew hot air.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

EDit wrote: »
    Is it not dark in Dublin yet?

The video is from earlier this afternoon.

I've heard a rumor circulating that a number of people are in isolation and being tested in St Vincent's Hospital, but it hasn't been reported anywhere in the media whatsoever so I am assuming it's false.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

trump press conference in 20 minutes. should be interesting, he couldn't even spell coronavirus in a tweet earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭dogbert27

I think it's just awkward phrasing.

The 2nd bout is worse than the first.

Where are the reports of people being infected twice?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

If that's true, Sheeeeeet. Around 5 minutes walk from my gaff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

BanditLuke wrote: »
    Honestly all joking aside I've followed this story very closely since it broke and even though I'm prepared for it as much as possible I'm genuinely worried for what this will do to our country IF it is aggressive as in Wuhan. People simply haven't researched the sheer effort China has put into stopping this it really has been a war time level of dedication to stopping it.

I sincerely hope I am wrong and I'll gladly have the p1ss ripped out of me.

yes i worry about this as well. china is an authoritarian machine with incredible resources. i can't think of many other countries that could do what they did.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Souness and Virgin Media reporter shakes hands. Coronavirus impact

The video is from earlier this afternoon.

I've heard a rumor circulating that a number of people are in isolation and being tested in St Vincent's Hospital, but it hasn't been reported anywhere in the media whatsoever so I am assuming it's false.

There was a major 5 hour riot at the Red Cow complex on New Years that the media decided was not PC to cover so this would not surprise me.

Our media does lie and hide things however that does not mean they are hiding something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

That video is definitely not the entrances to the Clayton or the Maldron around Dublin 2 unless it was back entrance

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭sparkle109

I live next door to here, and it’s now the Maldron hotel, this video is definitely not from Pearse street

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭joe_99

Our low density housing and dispersed population will prove beneficial I reckon. The Chinese cities are very densely populated.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,737 ✭✭✭saabsaab

dogbert27 wrote: »
    Is this a joke?!

Sadly no. There were reports that can happen but no one is certain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,854 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

froog wrote: »
    trump press conference in 20 minutes. should be interesting, he couldn't even spell coronavirus in a tweet earlier.
    It's our own government, and their inaction, that I'm concerned about. Trump, for all his flaws, will likely be a lot more decisive and proactive than any member of our own government.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Phil.x

My breastbone is starting to ache.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,625 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

St Patrick's Gay Parade will be in doubt too

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

joe_99 wrote: »
    Our low density housing and dispersed population will prove beneficial I reckon. The Chinese cities are very densely populated.

And the little Italian villages?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Ohmeha wrote: »
    That video is definitely not the entrances to the Clayton or the Maldron around Dublin 2 unless it was back entrance

It's an office block. I only live 5 minutes walk from there. Why did the person who tweeted give the wrong info?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

skimpydoo wrote: »
    If that's true, Sheeeeeet. Around 5 minutes walk from my gaff.

The video is from outside 59 Sir John Rogerson's Quay - so maybe closer to you

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.3458504,-6.2364024,3a,90y,191.15h,78.79t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sgNMSg13r5GMLHtXBOKgmoA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement