Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Couple of Queries - From Computer Science Background

• 01-10-2015 9:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hey,

I completed an MSc in Computer Science last year from UCD. I am now strongly considering attempting the GAMSAT in March, in an attempt to do GEM in either UCD, or UCC (for financial reasons). I have a couple of queries if anyone has the time:

1. Do I have enough time to study and pass the GAMSAT starting now having only a CS background?
    2. How many hours study per week would be recommended for a person in my position?
    3. I have first class honours level 8, and 9 - but I did not do well in the leaving cert - is this going to be a problem?
    4. What are the absolute recommended reading materials to cover before going in to the exam (I see a lot of different things on this forum - a bit unsure of where to start)

I'm going to use Khan Academy to progress through organic chemistry, and other related materials for now - and I'm also working full time at the moment.

Many thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,999 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

hobes wrote: »
    Hey,

I completed an MSc in Computer Science last year from UCD. I am now strongly considering attempting the GAMSAT in March, in an attempt to do GEM in either UCD, or UCC (for financial reasons). I have a couple of queries if anyone has the time:

1. Do I have enough time to study and pass the GAMSAT starting now having only a CS background?
    2. How many hours study per week would be recommended for a person in my position?
    3. I have first class honours level 8, and 9 - but I did not do well in the leaving cert - is this going to be a problem?
    4. What are the absolute recommended reading materials to cover before going in to the exam (I see a lot of different things on this forum - a bit unsure of where to start)

I'm going to use Khan Academy to progress through organic chemistry, and other related materials for now - and I'm also working full time at the moment.

Many thanks in advance!

Seems this place only really gathers pace come Christmas time, most of the active people in here have started med school and those who haven't are probably taking a well deserved break from the study for a few months.

I'm in a similar position to yourself, no masters, but I do have a 1st class honors in computer science. I did do physics in the LC and did well but that was 14 years ago so I may as well not have. I started studying March for the UK GAMSAT which I recently sat in September. I believe the science will ultimately let me down. I was using Sep as a trial run for the March sitting in Ireland and all in all I'm happy I made the trip abroad, if nothing else, I know what I'm in for come March.

My study was erratic as I'm working full time, 2 young kids and working on a 2nd degree part time. I was probably getting in 1 hour every 2nd night.

I would say that you need about 6-9 months study without a science background. I worked my way through all the dummies books and dummies workbooks But I have bought a significant amount of other books which I'm yet to delve into. I didn't even get a chance to look at organic chemistry but did get through a lot of chemistry and biology of which I was able to answer a good few questions correctly (or so i believe).
    A valuable resource for information is the Griffiths book, just google it and download it. It will give you a good base of where to start and what to study along with a nice template for section 2.

All I can say is best of luck, its not easy, but most people say its worth it.

D

• Registered Users Posts: 28 hobes

Seems this place only really gathers pace come Christmas time, most of the active people in here have started med school and those who haven't are probably taking a well deserved break from the study for a few months.

I'm in a similar position to yourself, no masters, but I do have a 1st class honors in computer science. I did do physics in the LC and did well but that was 14 years ago so I may as well not have. I started studying March for the UK GAMSAT which I recently sat in September. I believe the science will ultimately let me down. I was using Sep as a trial run for the March sitting in Ireland and all in all I'm happy I made the trip abroad, if nothing else, I know what I'm in for come March.

My study was erratic as I'm working full time, 2 young kids and working on a 2nd degree part time. I was probably getting in 1 hour every 2nd night.

I would say that you need about 6-9 months study without a science background. I worked my way through all the dummies books and dummies workbooks But I have bought a significant amount of other books which I'm yet to delve into. I didn't even get a chance to look at organic chemistry but did get through a lot of chemistry and biology of which I was able to answer a good few questions correctly (or so i believe).
    A valuable resource for information is the Griffiths book, just google it and download it. It will give you a good base of where to start and what to study along with a nice template for section 2.

All I can say is best of luck, its not easy, but most people say its worth it.

D

Thanks D,

Seems like you have a lot on your hands!

I did Physics, and also Chemistry in the LC - but I ended up choosing to do PASS level on the day of the exams (a mistake). I got an A and B, respectively.

I'm working through Khan Academy's Organic Chemistry material at the moment, which is a start; and I've been in touch with another boards user who is going to give me an array of other study materials tomorrow.

Like you, I'm also working full time; which allows me to watch 1 hour of Khan Academy during my lunch break too!

I've heard that Organic Chemistry is among the most important to study for as it appears most frequently throughout the exam. As you have already sat it (sorry to realise you didn't get the marks you wanted first time around), would this be true about Organic Chemistry?

Thanks again D! Really appreciate it!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,999 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Thanks D,

Seems like you have a lot on your hands!

I did Physics, and also Chemistry in the LC - but I ended up choosing to do PASS level on the day of the exams (a mistake). I got an A and B, respectively.

I'm working through Khan Academy's Organic Chemistry material at the moment, which is a start; and I've been in touch with another boards user who is going to give me an array of other study materials tomorrow.

Like you, I'm also working full time; which allows me to watch 1 hour of Khan Academy during my lunch break too!

I've heard that Organic Chemistry is among the most important to study for as it appears most frequently throughout the exam. As you have already sat it (sorry to realise you didn't get the marks you wanted first time around), would this be true about Organic Chemistry?

Thanks again D! Really appreciate it!

No problem happy to help! I'm still awaiting the results of September, they wont be issued until early November. I'm taking a break from study until then.

I was in the precarious position of not having a chemistry background, so I put more weight on understanding the fundamentals of chemistry rather than organic. There was quite a lot of organic chemistry on the day of which I was still able to understand due to having some base in chemistry.

I will take it a lot more seriously from December - March this time round.

Best of luck with it, it's tough but hopefully the long arduous road ahead is worth it.

No problem happy to help! I'm still awaiting the results of September, they wont be issued until early November. I'm taking a break from study until then.

I was in the precarious position of not having a chemistry background, so I put more weight on understanding the fundamentals of chemistry rather than organic. There was quite a lot of organic chemistry on the day of which I was still able to understand due to having some base in chemistry.

I will take it a lot more seriously from December - March this time round.

Best of luck with it, it's tough but hopefully the long arduous road ahead is worth it.

Ah my mistake, best of luck with the results, and if not this time - then in March. Thanks for the insight, I appreciate it a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Flange/Flanders

Ah my mistake, best of luck with the results, and if not this time - then in March. Thanks for the insight, I appreciate it a lot.

Current GEM3 here in UCD, from a non science background.

I have to say that the best bit of advise I can give you is DO NOT NEGLECT SECTIONS 1 AND 2!! Section 2 can really bring up your mark (it did mine!) if you have it well structured, thoughful, imaginative and unique. I can't quite remember what my 2 essays were about but I know one was about love so I imagined some rubbish about robot overlords ruling over us in the future and us explaining love to them and giving examples to them!! Rubbish, but I did well in that section!!
    As for section 3, Organic Chemistry for Dummies was good for me. Dont sweat biology, maybe have a brief look at cardio vasc systems (the way deoxygenated blood flows from the right atrium to right ventricle through the lungs back to left atrium and ventricles as oxygenated blood to the rest of the body) and GI system but you could be asked about the respiratory system of a bat so it's not as applicable! I found biology was about being able to read graphs as much as anything.
    Physics, be able to hazard a guess in your head the result of an equation using variables (no calculator allowed in there) but only 20% of S3 anyway.

I did it twice, once where I spent a month preparing a month before hand for it full time and did only ok cos I was stressed and tired the day of the exam, the second time where I was very chilled (I knew Id get an offer somewhere based on my previous score - just not my first preference!) and relaxed and did unbelievably well!! So try not to sweat it!

Finally, as regards your LC. You got a first in your degree and masters!! Forget about your LC performance, fair play man! A masters 1st is some going!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 AbiMorgs

Hi Guys

I also sat the exam in the UK in September and am awaiting my results. I think the the advice about section 1 and 2 is very valid, I did a BSc majoring in Human biology and Human physiology, but still found section 3 fairly though as I was out of practice with the basic science subjects. I think we need to understand the basics but practicing questions is key as it will enable us to feel confident on test day.

I have also taken a break from studying since the exam but am looking to get started again. I used the Gamsat Gold Standard text book for prep last time. The Khan Academy is a fantastic resource, I wish I had made more use of it. I'm looking into some of the other practice material mentioned in various threads.

Where are you guys based? Would you be interested in perhaps setting up a study group to review material?

Abi

Current GEM3 here in UCD, from a non science background.

I have to say that the best bit of advise I can give you is DO NOT NEGLECT SECTIONS 1 AND 2!! Section 2 can really bring up your mark (it did mine!) if you have it well structured, thoughful, imaginative and unique. I can't quite remember what my 2 essays were about but I know one was about love so I imagined some rubbish about robot overlords ruling over us in the future and us explaining love to them and giving examples to them!! Rubbish, but I did well in that section!!
    As for section 3, Organic Chemistry for Dummies was good for me. Dont sweat biology, maybe have a brief look at cardio vasc systems (the way deoxygenated blood flows from the right atrium to right ventricle through the lungs back to left atrium and ventricles as oxygenated blood to the rest of the body) and GI system but you could be asked about the respiratory system of a bat so it's not as applicable! I found biology was about being able to read graphs as much as anything.
    Physics, be able to hazard a guess in your head the result of an equation using variables (no calculator allowed in there) but only 20% of S3 anyway.

I did it twice, once where I spent a month preparing a month before hand for it full time and did only ok cos I was stressed and tired the day of the exam, the second time where I was very chilled (I knew Id get an offer somewhere based on my previous score - just not my first preference!) and relaxed and did unbelievably well!! So try not to sweat it!

Finally, as regards your LC. You got a first in your degree and masters!! Forget about your LC performance, fair play man! A masters 1st is some going!!

Thanks Flanders,

I've gotten my hands on 10 ozimed example exam papers, as well as the Griffiths material - and all the dummies books, and more thanks to another boards user.

He told me a similar story regarding biology (graphs), so I appreciate that! He also told me pretty much exactly what you said about the stresses of the exam. He said if you keep your cool, eat and drink, coffee - as normal as possible and relax; it makes a big difference. Timing is also the major problem he said, as there are just too many questions to complete completely in the given time.

Thanks for the insight about S1, & 2 also, and the rest of your post! Very helpful, appreciate it a lot!

Advertisement