Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Northern Casuals Megathread

• 02-04-2012 2:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭

thread's probably a few years overdue but oh well, better late than never! since I know not a lot of us northerners browse let alone post, I'm not gonna bother cluttering up the forums too much posting threads like I'm talking to myself about casuals but just keep it in this once thread (assuming that's ok!!)

Casuals on the wrong side of the border~

When do they happen?
    Typically they occur on a Tuesday (~6:30pm -> ~10pm) and Saturday (~2pm -> ~6pm) because that's when we have the venue available to hold them. Due to most of our scene's current academic/availability constraints, Saturdays are usually the busier days for games.

Where do they happen?
    Normally
    they happen in The Space @ QUB Student's Union, which is opposite the Lanyon Bldg. The Space is on 1F. Sometimes, they're held in the Snack Bar if the Space isn't available, which is on 2F. If you're unsure, just ask at the reception where Dragonslayers is and they'll be able to point you in the right direction.

What gets played?
    If you're a BlazBlue or Smash player, you're pretty much going to have to come on a Tuesday if you want to play those games as their scenes don't really show up on Saturday. I personally don't keep up with either of those games so if you're interested in those, you'll need to get in touch with those involved with those scenes. Unfortunately, I can't really point you in the right direction, if anyone knows them and wants to redirect them here, they can do so!

If you play AE, SFxT or Marvel, we typically have players that turn up on both days. SFxT seems to be taking precedence right now (as it's the newest game) but sometimes we'll play the other two as well.

BlazBlue is on PS3, Smash is on Wii and AE/Marvel/SFxT is on 360, so bring the appropriate stick/pad. If you use 360 pads, we usually have a bunch lying around for use, if you use PS3, you'll need a converter (unless you're playing BlazBlue).

Are there ever casuals on any other days?
    Sometimes we have house sessions, but it's not often. People will usually text out when it's happening. It's typically SFxT/AE sessions.

Is there anything like ranbats or tournaments that happen up north?
    The ranbats are currently on hold as it's not a good time academically. I think Robert (Yreval) is running his KOF13 ranbats, you'll need to ask him for more info.

As for "majors", Clash X Counter runs every few months and usually gets announced a good amount of time in advance when it's coming up once again.

There's also the Slayers24 which happen bi-monthly (or thereabouts), sometimes we go and have a crack session for 12+ hours of just playing games and chillin' out.

umm i think that's about it, if i missed anything or if people want to ask questions, fire away!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

I had no idea people had started playing at DS on Saturdays, it used to be always empty so I never bothered going.

Decent showings on Saturdays then? Could use the practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭fake_roogle

yeah, mike, john, james etc. basically aren't really turning up these days unless it's sat so if you wanna get some sfxt in, saturday's the day to go

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭Yreval

I think Robert (Yreval) is running his KOF13 ranbats, you'll need to ask him for more info.

Next one will be on the 17th. Thread should be up in the next couple of days.

One thing that wasn't mentioned - Slayers24. Once every two months or so we have an all-night session, usually from midday on a Saturday to midday on a Sunday (although in practice it usually finishes up at around 9am). Next one will be on the weekend of the 14th.

the SU is closed tomorrow (7th April) so there'll be no casuals tomorrow, sorry!!

Yreval wrote: »
    Next one will be on the 17th. Thread should be up in the next couple of days.

Here it is.

Also, is anyone planning on bringing a 360 with Skullgirls to Slayers24?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Vyze

Here it is.

Also, is anyone planning on bringing a 360 with Skullgirls to Slayers24?
    I'm considering bringing a PS3 with it on.

Tuesdays aren't great for me right now, so I'll start going to Saturday casuals more regularly. I plan on bringing a 360 with Skullgirls, since that seemed to draw plenty of interest last Tuesday.

It was empty when I checked in last Sat but maybe Skullgirls will bring all the boys to the yard. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

I hope to head to more of these now that I'm working/living up that way.

can't edit the first page, just wanted to write about how sfxt is still being played but has more or less died down with AE and Marvel being a bit more popular these days

also casuals are pretty quiet, a lot of us have looming deadlines/projects/dissertations/exams so i wouldn't expect too much over the coming 2 weeks

• Advertisement

Quick heads-up: next Slayers24 is on the 12th-13th of May.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

Quick heads-up: next Slayers24 is on the 12th-13th of May.

Any more info on that? Might be up for some of it

Anyone plan on going tomorrow? Exams and such will have passed by now, I would think.

Eh, I can show up at least.

Anyone up for some games tomorrow? Mainly KOF XIII, Skullgirls and VF5 FS.

Advertisement