Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

January 2020 Recruitment.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Gonzo94

I personally didnt do that much because I didn't know how to prepare haha. The tips I got were "Ask loads of questions and show empathy". I wish I had have known about the coaching classes lol.

I basically showed up on the day and was just myself. I acted how I usually act with other people/strangers. I asked questions and showed empathy. I kind of messed up on my first role play but quickly pulled it back. Though that minute or two probably cost me a better position on the merit list. I still passed and was surprised with the score I got.

People will probably tell you to be anything other than yourself because of the type of role plays. I won't tell you to do or don't do that because I don't know you and I didn't act that way during my AC. Being myself worked for me and everyone might be different.

I will say don't over think it and try not to stress yourself out over it. Think about things, ask questions and show empathy. Trying to relax before each of the roleplays help me to let go of the nerves. Something as simple as deep breaths helped.

Try to have fun and enjoy it lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Yukuza2008

Gonzo94 wrote: »
    I personally didnt do that much because I didn't know how to prepare haha. The tips I got were "Ask loads of questions and show empathy". I wish I had have known about the coaching classes lol.

I basically showed up on the day and was just myself. I acted how I usually act with other people/strangers. I asked questions and showed empathy. I kind of messed up on my first role play but quickly pulled it back. Though that minute or two probably cost me a better position on the merit list. I still passed and was surprised with the score I got.

People will probably tell you to be anything other than yourself because of the type of role plays. I won't tell you to do or don't do that because I don't know you and I didn't act that way during my AC. Being myself worked for me and everyone might be different.

I will say don't over think it and try not to stress yourself out over it. Think about things, ask questions and show empathy. Trying to relax before each of the roleplays help me to let go of the nerves. Something as simple as deep breaths helped.

Thanks for the infor Gonzo94!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Gonzo94

The AC coaching classes seem to be worth the money. You can always look into them.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭NeeNaw21

Literally just talk to people and ask questions in a structured manner. And empathy empathy empathy

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Xxx1234

Anyone have any idea how much the coaching courses are?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭MrChew

Xxx1234 wrote: »
    Anyone have any idea how much the coaching courses are?

I'd like to hear this too. I know the trainers are waiting to see when and what format the AC will take on account of Covid, and pricing etc will be decided once dates for the training is locked in, but it'd be useful to know how much it cost previously.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Gda88

£70 a session as far as I’m aware with no tomato.

Is there any coaching sessions that anybody would recommend?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭NornIron74

Gda88 wrote: »
    £70 a session as far as I’m aware with no tomato.

Was £150 when I went to them in February 2019

NornIron74 wrote: »

Worth it, in your opinion?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Gda88

Sorry I must have mistaken it for the no tomatoes IST prep course. I can see how this will be a lot more expensive I’m sure it lasts a good bit longer.

MrChew wrote: »
    Worth it, in your opinion?

I passed the AC so it was definitely worth it

Gda88 wrote: »
    Sorry I must have mistaken it for the no tomatoes IST prep course. I can see how this will be a lot more expensive I’m sure it lasts a good bit longer.

Yeah maybe, I never went to their IST course as I never knew about it. If I remember correctly it lasted from 10am to about half 4/5, so it was a long course but it flew by so quickly.

I passed the AC so it was definitely worth it

Good enough for me, i'll keep an eye out for it starting up again.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭SMS19

Gonzo94 wrote: »

I would agree with all of this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 rhino100

Does anyone have any knowledge/ experience with coaching classes for taking on the ac? I’ve heard of one in particular but honestly can’t tell if it would be worth paying for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭penutzimes

rhino100 wrote: »
    Does anyone have any knowledge/ experience with coaching classes for taking on the ac? I’ve heard of one in particular but honestly can’t tell if it would be worth paying for.

Haven't been to one but you can definitely pass without it

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Nhs2018

penutzimes wrote: »

Hasn’t the format of the A/C changed anyway??? I went to a 1:1 tutor. She actually sat the A/C in 1710 and was fast tracked just so she knew that format when it changed. Worked for me M/L sub 220. However it was just pointing out the obvious. Empathy, good communication, taking ownership of the issue and fairness and respect for everyone.

It has changed so I'm not sure how they are going to be able to give you practice if they don't know themselves

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 vhue30gnyzfj4b

Is it changing for this years campaign or did it change last year ? Anyone know if it’s a major difference ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 Nhs2018

Is it changing for this years campaign or did it change last year ? Anyone know if it’s a major difference ?

It’s changing for this year so no one knows. The email sent out a while back lists the change in competencies tested.

It will be differnt or at least our performance will be assessed differently they will be looking for different things in us now compared to previous years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 psni21

The role of a police officer hasn't changed and therefore the Competency framework has just been amended so its more relevant and to allow for a better fit with frontline and non-frontline policing roles rather than ranks or work level. The main aspects to assess ie integrity, transparency, impartiality, public service etc won't have changed. They may amend their process slightly but the foundation of policing will always remain the same. As long as you're aware of these and don't act like a robot we'll all be OK :-)

Talking to people with empathy and compassion yet remaining in control is basically what you need to do. The competencies already exist in all of you as you have passed the IST it's just about showing the assessors that you have competence.

They cannot mark what they do not see, read or hear

but do not try to be something you're not as they will see through it as you are put under pressure. Find a way of wprking the suits you and be confident. Roll with it

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Newbieee

I never went to one and passed it under 300 ML

Can somebody explain how the merit list works if you pass the AC if they could please?

Yukuza2008 wrote: »
    Can somebody explain how the merit list works if you pass the AC if they could please?

The better you do at ac the quicker you will get called for pca vetting etc so a lower merit list number means you will be called quicker than somebody to dint score as high and we're given a higher number.

The better you do at ac the quicker you will get called for pca vetting etc so a lower merit list number means you will be called quicker than somebody to dint score as high and we're given a higher number.

Thank you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 Xxx1234

Anyone know how long the wait usually is from doing the assessment centre to getting your results

Advertisement