Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Metallica for Slane 2019

1108109110111112114»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,474 ✭✭✭✭klose

Slane is one day out every two years, yeah the walk is long and the traffic out is a nightmare but I've loved eveey slane I've been to and will continue to go (assuming I want to see the band playing) I've never been to an outdoor concert where toilets, bars and merch ques etc arent a bit of a pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Jayesdiem

spodoinkle wrote: »
    Tell me this please, is the gold circle on a slope? I was in GC for GNR in London at some stadium, obviously flat ground, everywhere I stood for the whole gig there were either people walking through all the time (I see lads walking past multiple times after paying £300 for a ticket why they wouldn't just stand and watch the gig astounded me) or someone taller than me in front, couldn't see a thing

I experienced this in Twickenham last year. Two girls in front of me, clearly into the show, headed off around Sad But True and arrived back about an hour later. Their partners remained in place. Bonkers.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,445 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

klose wrote: »
    I've never been to an outdoor concert where toilets, bars and merch ques etc arent a bit of a pain.

I have. It can be done if the promoter shells out a few quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

klose wrote: »
    I've never been to an outdoor concert where toilets, bars and merch ques etc arent a bit of a pain.
    I found the Iveagh gardens to be great. Loads of toilets, and there was no queue at the bar at all, rakes of bar staff too.

It can be down to the band, it was Belle & Sebastian which is not going to attract as many heavy drinkers as say GnR.

I don't know why they skimp on bar setup, they must lose out on a potential fortune, I just do not bother drinking if the queues are big at the bars, and would drink less if queues are big for toilets too.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭kg703

Jayesdiem wrote: »
    Are you a guy or girl? Either way, a poncho is brilliant cover for a sneaky p1ss on the spot if you are similarly minded to myself......

On Slane itself, I think Metallica are the final truly mega-act that could play that venue and fill it. Who else could do it? Not AC/DC in this day and age, maybe Iron Maiden but do they have enough of a following here? Maybe Oasis will make a return but they’ve done it already.

Female so unfortunately that doesnt work for me. My husband has done that at festivals, under the poncho into a cup, cup into the bin.... I'm equally disgusted and jealous.

Loads could fill Slane I think - we are in the days of gig hyperness and FOMO and instagram. I saw plenty of people at metallica who I am pretty sure have never heard a song :D

If you had a couple of say, 3arena sell out worthy acts together?

Rock wise, a reform of some massive bands - someone mentioned pink floyd or the dream (never happening) of a Led Zepplin reform. You would struggle to even get a ticket.

Realistically the like of Coldplay (bleeh) would sell it no problem Id say

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭kg703

The Nal wrote: »
    I have. It can be done if the promoter shells out a few quid.

100%

I go to a LOT of gigs indoor and out. Slane by absolute miles the worst. Too many people, not enough toilets and very poor layout of the field. EG the bar queues are done by lane, all reach back past the lanes which are also at the entrance point to BOTH male and female toilets. (Facing stage at left)

Such poor planning.

And then the whole fake segregation debacle of Metallica..... ridiculous. Fought them for months on that though and got two free tickets to Ghost so I wont complain ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

Honestly slane should just be byob.... Most people if not camping bring there own cans on the busses or car there anyways, having to get rid of them by the first security checkpoint knowing there's at least 5 more after it never made sense to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Honestly slane should just be byob.... Most people if not camping bring there own cans on the busses or car there anyways, having to get rid of them by the first security checkpoint knowing there's at least 5 more after it never made sense to me.

The last two times I was there(GnR and Metallica) I was able to sneak in a bottle of jack and a bottle of Morgan each time, PM me for details haha!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

Slane is a ****ing mess but I genuinely love it. Love the size of the place etc would go back for any decent sized rock band tbh

Camping was absolutely great craic. Up on the Friday, few cans tunes etc got up and strolled into the village for a breakfast roll on Saturday, heard the soundcheck on the way in, perfect for the building atmosphere. Then back to the tent, few more cans and an easy stroll in to the venue.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Camping is the only way to do it really. We arrived on the Friday night, pitched and cracked a few cans. The morning of the gig we had the stove on making our own coffee and a bit of breakfast sitting in our camp chairs. At a respectable hour (11am) we started on the cans again. Around lunchtime we brought the mini -barbecue over to the designated area and cooked up fillet steak, potato hash and corn on the cob while soaking up a bit of sun. Cars were still stuck in the queue arriving and the support gigs were starting to go on. We wandered over after lunch for the gig well fed and watered so while we had a few pints in there, it was really just keeping us topped off and we didn't need to queue for food at all.
    After the gig we were back at the tent within 10 mins and more cans were had. Our tent is a big two bedroom one so the little hallway was a private spot to do a wee as we didn't fancy trekking to the campsite ones that late and they would be manky/

TravelJohn and TravelJane are good products to have to hand. Those and some sanitising wipes and the whole toilet issue is sorted. A she-pee for women can be good too, but it's essentially a funnel so if you are bursting it might back on you I hear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,445 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Neyite wrote: »
    TravelJohn and TravelJane are good products to have to hand. Those and some sanitising wipes and the whole toilet issue is sorted. A she-pee for women can be good too, but it's essentially a funnel so if you are bursting it might back on you I hear.

Where did you go for a sh1t?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Penfailed

The Nal wrote: »
    Where did you go for a sh1t?

There were toilets at the campsites.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,952 ✭✭✭Degag

Think there may be an imminent-ish announcement regarding Slane 2021. MCD in overdrive currently on social media with Slane related posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Degag wrote: »
    Think there may be an imminent-ish announcement regarding Slane 2021. MCD in overdrive currently on social media with Slane related posts.

I dunno, not like they have anything else to do at moment

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

Degag wrote: »

They are posting "who do you want to play in X Venue in 2021 - let us know in the comments" about all their venues! I have seen it for slane, rds, 3arena, and the Olympia. It's just a way to keep them in people's news feeds when they DO have something to announce.

The joys of the Social Media Algorithm.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,759 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

2 years ago today we were all rocking at Slane Castle

What a great day that was, can't wait for live music to return

PTH2009 wrote: »
    2 years ago today we were all rocking at Slane Castle

What a great day that was, can't wait for live music to return

I’m scared more than ever that those days are gone. At least I was there for that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,281 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

I’m scared more than ever that those days are gone. At least I was there for that one.

Lads is there any way we can get them back to Slane?

Lads is there any way we can get them back to Slane?

It’s not that I think they wouldn’t come back, it’s more that I think that gigs like Slane are done for due to Covid obsession and the associated safetyism that has emerged from it. Covidism if you like. I could be very wrong however.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

It’s not that I think they wouldn’t come back, it’s more that I think that gigs like Slane are done for due to Covid obsession and the associated safetyism that has emerged from it. Covidism if you like. I could be very wrong however.

Give in another year or two, we'll be back in moshpits shoving and sweating all over one another

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

I think you're getting a bit ahead of yourself there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Personally I think (And hope) you are wrong. I mean, yeah, 2021 is a gonner too but, all going well, the vast majority of concert goers around the developed world will be vaccinated by September/October and almost all by end of year.

I mean I have no facts to back it up (I used to work in Trump administration :D. Joking). I have no numbers to back it up but think of the typical festival demographic: 18-35/40 (I will be 50 at next Glasto but hey). For festivals, reasonably middle class as tickets and actually everything involved going to a festival can be expensive. All fairly liberal, educated to some point and don't get their news from Facenook/Youtube.

Now I know that sounds INCREDIBLY arrogant/elitist but what I mean is, is that you were never likely to see your anti-masker/it's-all-a-liberal-media-plot-with-Bill-Gates-to-inject-us-with-robots/the-kung-flu-was-made-to-mid-control-us-to-vote-liberal-and-masks-are-invading-my-rights at EP or ATN or Glastonbury or Download.

What I mean is is that everyone who goes to concerts/festivals are probably the most likely to get vaccinated. Personally, I'll take every jab in one go if it meant I could get back to normal.

Plus, by the start of 2021 concert/festival season, people will be GAGGING for ANYTHING. I do think for larger ones -any international ones - they MAY require a test a few days before for people travelling from abroad. And I have no problem with that.

tldr: I think people will be SCREAMING for concerts by next year. May be a bit more precautions beforehand but HOPEFULLY we will be 90% there.

Personally I think (And hope) you are wrong. I mean, yeah, 2021 is a gonner too but, all going well, the vast majority of concert goers around the developed world will be vaccinated by September/October and almost all by end of year.

I mean I have no facts to back it up (I used to work in Trump administration :D. Joking). I have no numbers to back it up but think of the typical festival demographic: 18-35/40 (I will be 50 at next Glasto but hey). For festivals, reasonably middle class as tickets and actually everything involved going to a festival can be expensive. All fairly liberal, educated to some point and don't get their news from Facenook/Youtube.

Now I know that sounds INCREDIBLY arrogant/elitist but what I mean is, is that you were never likely to see your anti-masker/it's-all-a-liberal-media-plot-with-Bill-Gates-to-inject-us-with-robots/the-kung-flu-was-made-to-mid-control-us-to-vote-liberal-and-masks-are-invading-my-rights at EP or ATN or Glastonbury or Download.

What I mean is is that everyone who goes to concerts/festivals are probably the most likely to get vaccinated. Personally, I'll take every jab in one go if it meant I could get back to normal.

Plus, by the start of 2021 concert/festival season, people will be GAGGING for ANYTHING. I do think for larger ones -any international ones - they MAY require a test a few days before for people travelling from abroad. And I have no problem with that.

tldr: I think people will be SCREAMING for concerts by next year. May be a bit more precautions beforehand but HOPEFULLY we will be 90% there.

I hope I'm wrong too. I've bought a ticket for Metallica in Italy next year so I do have some hope. I think you've made some broad generalisations in there too. For example, I am vaccinated and always would have gone for the jab but I'm also almost entirely anti-covid restrictions because I think they've been a blight on society when guidance, not orders, should have been given instead. If, for example, I turn up at that gig next year to be met with 50,000 people wearing masks in an outdoor setting, that will be a huge disappointment for me at least. Some seem ok with the thought of that vista, I am not.

Advertisement