Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Introduction to Astronomy, Want a telescope? Please read before posting.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

Can you get scope and mounts combined ? I see a decent scope is at least €1200, and around the same for a mount - and thats before any adaptors to attach a camera ....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

TomSweeney wrote: »
    Can you get scope and mounts combined ? I see a decent scope is at least €1200, and around the same for a mount - and thats before any adaptors to attach a camera ....

If you are just starting out don't bother with any of the expensive stuff! This hobby can be very expensive.

For a starter scope I'd recommend having a budget of €200 - €500 anything in this range will be okay quality for a beginner that can outgrow the the scope in probably 2-3 years or more depending on frequency of use. In which time can save for the better quality/more expensive gear. You'll get a scope and mount within this budget, DSLR will cost around this also so have a different budget for one. But first get the experience using the telescope before adding the complication of a camera. If you have no experience with using a camera it will be a very steep learning curve one which will probably break you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

You could have a look at Astrobackyard.com. Some good advice although be warned he has very expensive gear. Deep Sky Stacker can be used to stack and align pictures.

If you are just starting out don't bother with any of the expensive stuff! This hobby can be very expensive.

For a starter scope I'd recommend having a budget of €200 - €500 anything in this range will be okay quality for a beginner that can outgrow the the scope in probably 2-3 years or more depending on frequency of use. In which time can save for the better quality/more expensive gear. You'll get a scope and mount within this budget, DSLR will cost around this also so have a different budget for one. But first get the experience using the telescope before adding the complication of a camera. If you have no experience with using a camera it will be a very steep learning curve one which will probably break you.
    hmm thanks very much!!

I do have experience using DSLR and long exposure photography, problem is lashing that on to a scope / mount ... allthough this is giving me hope
    :

https://old.reddit.com/r/astrophotography/comments/i70u5r/the_andromeda_galaxy/

Lovely shot of Andromeda using DSLR + Star adventurer tracker, So I think ill get one of these first ... if it can produce images like this ...

hmm thanks very much!!

I do have experience using DSLR and long exposure photography, problem is lashing that on to a scope / mount ... allthough this is giving me hope
    :

https://old.reddit.com/r/astrophotography/comments/i70u5r/the_andromeda_galaxy/

Lovely shot of Andromeda using DSLR + Star adventurer tracker, So I think ill get one of these first ... if it can produce images like this ...

Well I reckon you'd be right at home with the Star Adventurer if you already now how to take long exposure pictures. The good thing with doing so is you can add onto the SA with a small refractor (has a 8kg max load) which would not be too costly either (Sky Watcher 72ED for instance). With very little knowledge about how to polar align the SA you will be up and running in no time!

Astro-imaging and observing with a telescope alone are very different beasts, you can see and capture a lot more with a camera obviously. With no scope you can image a lot.

Recently ordered a SA myself.

• Advertisement

OK, so I can add a scope to the tracker and use as a motorised mount ?
    of course if i wanna get a good scope, im sure it'll weigh more than 8KG...

OK, so I can add a scope to the tracker and use as a motorised mount ?
    of course if i wanna get a good scope, im sure it'll weigh more than 8KG...

Yeah definitely could add a scope but there a bit of a difference with tracking an object and motorising a telescope (GoTo). The typical weight of a camera body would be under 1kg (400g-1000g) but depends on the make of the camera/lens. Canons can be lighter, a telephoto lens could be a similar weight to camera.

You would have to take into account the counter weight for the SA also. Think the counter weight that comes with the Pro pack is 1kg, the bar is fairly long also so say 1.5kg-2kg stress weight on the motor. A total guess but any scope up to 4kg could fit on the SA, in theory anyway!

But while it will track you are getting into GoTo territory which would account for the higher priced stuff. It is Right Accession tracking on the SA this is why it needs to be polar aligned, Polaris would be the only star that doesn't change position. Aligning correctly is very important for tracking. Deep sky objects require precise Polar alignment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭adocholiday

Hi everyone,

I want to get a telescope as a gift for someone who wants something relatively basic that would allow you to see the planets etc. but doesn't have to be anything fancy. I saw some recommendations earlier for the Skywatcher Skyliner 200P Parabolic Dobsonian Telescope but at €400 it might be a bit much for something that could get relatively little use.

Any suggestions would be really appreciated. Thanks!

Hi everyone,

I want to get a telescope as a gift for someone who wants something relatively basic that would allow you to see the planets etc. but doesn't have to be anything fancy. I saw some recommendations earlier for the Skywatcher Skyliner 200P Parabolic Dobsonian Telescope but at €400 it might be a bit much for something that could get relatively little use.

Any suggestions would be really appreciated. Thanks!

You're going to want to tell us how much you are willing to spend. Anything less than 6" in a Newtonian/Dobsobian is not going to show planets in great detail.

You're going to want to tell us how much you are willing to spend. Anything less than 6" in a Newtonian/Dobsobian is not going to show planets in great detail.

Fair point. I could spend up to that amount but I'd be concerned that I spend that money and it ends up gathering dust in the corner is all. But that's more likely to happen with something that won't show anything particularly interesting.

If I have to spend that amount to get something worthwhile then I'll spend that. I just thought there might be an option a little cheaper that might be just not quite as good as the Dobsonian but would be good enough.

• Advertisement

Fair point. I could spend up to that amount but I'd be concerned that I spend that money and it ends up gathering dust in the corner is all. But that's more likely to happen with something that won't show anything particularly interesting.

If I have to spend that amount to get something worthwhile then I'll spend that. I just thought there might be an option a little cheaper that might be just not quite as good as the Dobsonian but would be good enough.

The 8" skywatcher Dob is great scope go with that if can afford!

Slightly lower price and also a good starter scope is a Celestron AstroMaster 130EQ but smaller size of about 5.1"

The 8" skywatcher Dob is great scope go with that if can afford!

Slightly lower price and also a good starter scope is a Celestron AstroMaster 130EQ but smaller size of about 5.1"

Amazon have that Celestron for 151 pounds. With the pound as it is that's very cheap. Is there a massive difference in quality between the 2? Or enough to justify the cost difference?

Amazon have that Celestron for 151 pounds. With the pound as it is that's very cheap. Is there a massive difference in quality between the 2? Or enough to justify the cost difference?

Oh yeah nice! Yeah it would be a massive step up to the 8" from that bigger area to gather photons of light, be like serving soup with a spoon as opposed to a ladle. An 8" would be about 2.4 times the size of the 130. Area of light for the 5.1" is roughly 82 area for the 8" roughly 201. The more light allowed in the better magnification and image quality. Even a 6" would be a bit of step up from that 130.

Hmm... is it worth choosing the 130 over the skywatcher, in terms of money yes. But the better image quality for magnification in the 8", I don't think so. I'd rather the 8" myself but only because I know better.

As an aside, aperture should be measured in inches and focal length in mm but the celestron and most telescope makers market it in mm for some reason, probably easier for consumers to distinguish.

If for a beginner I'd probably go with the celestron, tbh. But as I said the bigger the better.

Oh yeah nice! Yeah it would be a massive step up to the 8" from that bigger area to gather photons of light, be like serving soup with a spoon as opposed to a ladle. An 8" would be about 2.4 times the size of the 130. Area of light for the 5.1" is roughly 82 area for the 8" roughly 201. The more light allowed in the better magnification and image quality. Even a 6" would be a bit of step up from that 130.

Hmm... is it worth choosing the 130 over the skywatcher, in terms of money yes. But the better image quality for magnification in the 8", I don't think so. I'd rather the 8" myself but only because I know better.

As an aside, aperture should be measured in inches and focal length in mm but the celestron and most telescope makers market it in mm for some reason, probably easier for consumers to distinguish.

If for a beginner I'd probably go with the celestron, tbh. But as I said the bigger the better.

I think I might go for the Celestron given the massive price difference. Would the Celestron be good enough to let you see things like the rings on Saturn? That's the kind of level I'd be aiming for.

I think I might go for the Celestron given the massive price difference. Would the Celestron be good enough to let you see things like the rings on Saturn? That's the kind of level I'd be aiming for.

Saturn will be tiny in the supplied eyepieces, You should be able to make out the form though. What the bigger aperture allows is more light which in turn means more magnification. Magnifying with the 130 to the same degree of the bigger scope will be quiet dim as there is less light.

QmIRG.png

Bear in mind both are taken with Hubble and don't represent what you will see with either scope just the relative sizes at their *practical/most useful magnification

Here's a better scope than the celestron https://www.firstlightoptics.com/reflectors/skywatcher-explorer-130.html

Longer focal length sturdier materials

Here's a better scope than the celestron https://www.firstlightoptics.com/reflectors/skywatcher-explorer-130.html

Longer focal length sturdier materials

Thanks so much because the Celestron is out of stock too! I'm going to buy this right away. Thanks for your help it's been invaluable.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,198 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Thanks so much because the Celestron is out of stock too! I'm going to buy this right away. Thanks for your help it's been invaluable.

Will most likely need a bit of mirror adjustment after shipping. Order a cheap collimating tool while you’re at it.

Easy to use. Plenty of lessons in YouTube.

No worries!

Ordered one for a friend also it is a very decent scope I believe. They also have the Celestron on First Light which comes with a m42 threaded barlow (for T-Rings) and crappy phone adaptor for a similar price as what was on amazon.

If your looking for another recommendation / middle ground for the 8" there is also a Skywatcher 150p which would be middle ground to both apertures on First light about €345 (+ €30 deilery) https://www.firstlightoptics.com/reflectors/skywatcher-explorer-150p-eq3-2.html

• Registered Users Posts: 9,354 ✭✭✭irishgeo

No worries!

Ordered one for a friend also it is a very decent scope I believe. They also have the Celestron on First Light which comes with a m42 threaded barlow (for T-Rings) and crappy phone adaptor for a similar price as what was on amazon.

If your looking for another recommendation / middle ground for the 8" there is also a Skywatcher 150p which would be middle ground to both apertures on First light about €345 (+ €30 deilery) https://www.firstlightoptics.com/reflectors/skywatcher-explorer-150p-eq3-2.html

anyone recommend a mount of these SKYMASTER 25X70 BINOCULARS, cant hold them steady enough to see anything.

• Advertisement

irishgeo wrote: »
    anyone recommend a mount of these SKYMASTER 25X70 BINOCULARS, cant hold them steady enough to see anything.

Literally any tripod and adaptor will do the job for binoculars

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Looking for recommendations for a Telescope as a Christmas Gift for my Husband. Beginner.
    To see Moon / Planets/ Stars.
    Something we could bring with us on holidays too. With a Tripod.

Budget €300, max €350.

Have had a look online but don't know what would be best option.

TIA.

SusanC10 wrote: »
    Looking for recommendations for a Telescope as a Christmas Gift for my Husband. Beginner.
    To see Moon / Planets/ Stars.
    Something we could bring with us on holidays too. With a Tripod.

Budget €300, max €350.

Have had a look online but don't know what would be best option.

TIA.

Hi Susan,

The one that ilikewaffles suggested for me (The Celestron Sky-watcher Explorer 130) is great. I bought it as a gift for a beginner and they love it. I bought it here and got delivery of it pretty quickly.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/reflectors/skywatcher-explorer-130.html

Also I found this video really great for doing the set up and just getting started with it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoZyR7U8cuo

Hi Susan,

The one that ilikewaffles suggested for me (The Celestron Sky-watcher Explorer 130) is great. I bought it as a gift for a beginner and they love it. I bought it here and got delivery of it pretty quickly.

Also I found this video really great for doing the set up and just getting started with it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoZyR7U8cuo

Thank you !
    That looks good and well under budget.
    Would you recommend any of the suggested accessories or is it sufficient by itself ?

Thanks a mill.

Thank you !
    That looks good and well under budget.
    Would you recommend any of the suggested accessories or is it sufficient by itself ?

Thanks a mill.

I just bought the collimation cap in case it was out but to my untrained eye it seems to be ok. I might look at some other eye pieces etc. in future but the ones that come with it have done the job great so far.

I just bought the collimation cap in case it was out but to my untrained eye it seems to be ok. I might look at some other eye pieces etc. in future but the ones that come with it have done the job great so far.

Thanks. Appreciate the tips.

Hi Susan,

Unfortunately when I went to order this, it was out of stock. So back to the drawing board.

Any thoughts on this one below ?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0000XMSKC?tag=georiot-trd-21&th=1&psc=1&ascsubtag=space-ie-7526858956323542000-21

Unfortunately when I went to order this, it was out of stock. So back to the drawing board.

Any thoughts on this one below ?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0000XMSKC?tag=georiot-trd-21&th=1&psc=1&ascsubtag=space-ie-7526858956323542000-21

That's out of stock also ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

That's out of stock also ;)

Hi

Did you get one in the end . Currently looking for one for my hubby but way out of my depth . Seems to be a shortage of stock as well which isn’t helping .

I have seen this one : https://www.camera.ie/products/celestron-starsense-explorer-dx-130az

It seems a bit pricey though for a beginner .

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

• Advertisement

Bluesquare wrote: »
    Hi

Did you get one in the end . Currently looking for one for my hubby but way out of my depth . Seems to be a shortage of stock as well which isn’t helping .

I have seen this one : https://www.camera.ie/products/celestron-starsense-explorer-dx-130az

It seems a bit pricey though for a beginner .

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Very pricey!!

Decent scope on adverts... https://www.adverts.ie/telescopes-binoculars/telescope-skywatcher/22326549

Advertisement